My first gold ring!!!! w00t!!! Any idea on cleaning?

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
atfer a crappy start to the season i was finally able to get some swinging in. I was digging in the lot beside my house but it was very grown up. After finding a few pennies i had to go in and get a drink. My friend informed me they had bulldozed the next lot. I headed straight there lol. 30 minutes and 3 pennies later i found my first gold ring. It is just a gold filled ring but gold nonetheless.

So it has a buildup on it like a corrosion. I can brush it off and the gold shines nicely. My question is whats the best thing to do to get the corrosion off without damaging the ring? We live in a small town and i think I can find the owner once i can see the detail and get the info off of it.

Here are some pics. Sorry taken with a camera phone.

ring3.jpg

ring4.jpg

ring1.jpg

ring.jpg

Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Ring find, may I make a suggestion, put your ring on a paper clip and set it on a table and try to take a picture that way. Also if your camera has a Micro setting on it, try using it. It is for close ups, if not just move back and take a picture. I usually just push the button half way down to let the camera focus on the object.

Again, Very nice Ring, Congrats!!!

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Actually i almost bought a camera today lol. I passed as money is tight. Those pictures was taken with a camera phone hence the crappy resolution. Just the best I can do. A good camera is at the top of my list of needs though lol

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Have you tried lemon juice or vinegar?

I would start with lemon juice as well. Soak for 1 hour and see the results, repeat for longer if progress is made.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest cleaning, like C.W. buttons that have gilt left on them. Use aluminum jelly, if you can find it, if not then use the other stuff (for cleaning rust off of stuff)......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread