old radiator cap

pilgrim770

Jul 25, 2005
Houston, TX.
[size=14pt]I was checking out some old search sites to go to and I found the tip of the wings sticking out of the ground. I dug it out and found this old radiator cap. I don't know what kind of old car it came off of but I'm sure it's old. This is an old site where there used to be houses near an old copper mine that was in operation between 1857 and 1930. I wish I would have dug a little deeper, I might have found the rest of the car ;D Now all I have to do is figure out how to get a picture of it on here. >:(

Attachments

• Old radiator cap.JPG
    Old radiator cap.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 988
Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
That is a great find! I'd have a tough time parting with that one but I would imagine theres a good market for them.

C

Cladius Maximus

my dad runs his own antique auction company, he sells a fair amount of these old hood ornaments/radiator caps. There is a definite market...especially for caps from car companies that dont exist anymore. Check for stamps on the underside of the wings.
cladius

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW AWSOME !

CONGRATS !

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find. I hope you cn identify what kind of car it came from. Monty

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
WOW! I Love It! Her head looks like Mercury on Mercury dime. If you want to part with her, just let me know. She's what I call " GOOD STUFF ".
Spotz

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find!

It's worth some $$$ for sure!

I'd clean it up with some WD 40 - then shine it with some polish, and list it on ebay (in fair estimation, it would probably sell in the $200 range - possibly more)!

HH

Lonewolfe

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WOW!! :o :o Very cool find!! I've never seen one of those. I love it! Congrats and go find the rest of the car!! ;D

Happy Hunting!!

Moon

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! :o What a find!!

Congrats!!

That is just beautiful!

Nana

OP
OP
pilgrim770

pilgrim770

Jul 25, 2005
Houston, TX.
Hi everyone, I checked out my radiator cap find for numbers or some type of stamp. I can just about make out something on the back. I made one of those coffee can cleaner things and have it working right now. I sure wish I knew what this came off of. I'll let you all know if I can read anything on it after it's done cooking. Happy hunting everyone :-\

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful and don't cook the chrome off of that radiator cap. Would probably be just as good to clean with a good chrome polish and leave as is. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread