Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I've been hunting here and there over the past few weeks..needless to say I have hit a silver dry spell, but the wheat pennies, toy cars, keys and hoze nozzles keep coming ;D

I went out for a little no-pressure, slow-and-easy detecting this morning at a nearby elementary school I've been hunting for years..apparently I didn't cover every square inch!

In 45 minutes, I found a nickel, a penny and a dime. I wasn't having much fun, but I didn't have anywhere else to go, and the weather was cooler than normal, so I wasn't complaining.

I checked the field closest to the school, where there was a baseball diamond and some old tetherball poles..I had found rings near them at other schools, so I scanned around them carefully. I found absolutely NOTHING >:(

I began to walk toward the school again and got a super-strong nickel signal. These signals usually produce pull tabs, aluminum shrapnel or an actual nickel. However, this one was different, it was probably the strongest nickel signal I ever heard and didn't flutter at all on my Prizm's display pad.

Needless to say I dug the target, and in one big plug I saw the top view of this gold thing I knew had to be a ring. It was, and it was gold :thumbsup:

R2-5.jpg

R1-8.jpg

For years I have wanted to find a class ring and return it to whoever lost it. Now I have my chance. I'll keep you all updated on my progress!

Hope you all find a little treasure this weekend.
Nat

UPDATE: With the help of the high school, the ring is on its way to the person who lost it! I called the school not long after I found it, and after a little record research, a nice lady was able to track down her former address. The family had since moved, but luckily a woman with the same last name and area code was listed in the phone book. I spoke with the person's mom, who contacted her daughter. She called me today and described the ring correctly. She was so thankful to get it back, and just knowing this made the experience of finding it worthwhile. According to her mom, she thought the ring had been stolen and she looked for it for a long time. She never attended the school where it was found, but she told me her niece went there. Apparently it slipped off her finger when she was there some years ago and she never felt it come off her hand.
I want to publicly thank Debbie Weaver at the school for being so friendly and for helping me put the pieces together..without her help, I don't know if I would have ever found the owner.

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Finally, A Class Ring

I love it! I know you are gonna have fun finding the owner! And you deserve high praise for doing so! :notworthy:

HH,
Moon

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: cool class ring congrats

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

How old is this ring? I found a 1953 today; let's have a contest to see who can find their owner first! :wink:

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Congrats Natman :icon_thumright:

I hunted a 1927 high School recently for a couple days with my Prizm, and I was thinking of ya and all the cool finds you have made at school yards. I was hoping to find a ring just like that one. I found 8 wheats and a fake gold heart charm, tons of clad too.

Your find gives me hope that there may be a ring out in that H.S. field after all.

You are an inspiration Natman. :notworthy:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WAY TO GO BIG GUY!!!! :hello2: :notworthy: :headbang: :thumbsup:
Great job on a super looking class ring. I still haven't found one either. :-\
What all does it say on it (school, year, etc.)?
Congrats Nat,
Doug

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go buddy. That's a beauty of a ring too. Congrats on that nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Moonshadow said:
I love it! I know you are gonna have fun finding the owner! And you deserve high praise for doing so! :notworthy:

HH,
Moon

Thanks Cindy! It's going to be a challenge to find her but I'm gonna try!

halfdime said:
How old is this ring? I found a 1953 today; let's have a contest to see who can find their owner first! :wink:

It's 9 years old..you may have an advantage on me..it's a woman's ring and chances are her last name isn't the same any more.

I_Dig_NYC said:
Congrats Natman :icon_thumright:

I hunted a 1927 high School recently for a couple days with my Prizm, and I was thinking of ya and all the cool finds you have made at school yards. I was hoping to find a ring just like that one. I found 8 wheats and a fake gold heart charm, tons of clad too.

Your find gives me hope that there may be a ring out in that H.S. field after all.

You are an inspiration Natman. :notworthy:

Thanks for the nice words. I only found one other ring there years ago, but nothing like this..and like I said I hunted this place to death for years..the difference was I went there just to add to my clad count and just to get out for a little while. The weather was cooler this morning and I tend to take my time and do a more thorough search when weather conditions are ideal.

ModernMiner said:
WAY TO GO BIG GUY!!!! :hello2: :notworthy: :headbang: :thumbsup:
Great job on a super looking class ring. I still haven't found one either. :-\
What all does it say on it (school, year, etc.)?
Congrats Nat,
Doug

Thanks Doug! The ring is from a local high school and is from the year 2000. That doesn't help me much but the name is inside..I'm hoping it belongs to a teacher from the school..I plan to give them a call next week.

:
DANGLANGLEY said:
Way to go buddy. That's a beauty of a ring too. Congrats on that nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

Thanks!

Nat

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Check Classmates.com too Nattie.....I think they have a "lost ring" forum or something. Good Luck!!

Cindy

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Cindy, I'll do that :thumbsup:

Nat

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you know the name of the school. Call them talk to the administrator and tell them your name number and the ll them you found a ring from Th year and five them the initials that is on the ring and ask them to contact the person with those initials and have them tell the person to contact you. This usually works as I have return 8 rings in the last 30 years by doing this. Good hunting and good luck....Matt

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mlayers said:
If you know the name of the school. Call them talk to the administrator and tell them your name number and the ll them you found a ring from Th year and five them the initials that is on the ring and ask them to contact the person with those initials and have them tell the person to contact you. This usually works as I have return 8 rings in the last 30 years by doing this. Good hunting and good luck....Matt

Thanks Matt, it's probably much easier to do with a man's ring..as I said earlier, she most likely has a different last name (she's now in her late 20's)..the school may not have any idea what her married name is. I have some other ideas, so I'll keep you all updated.

Nat

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005

the school will have her parents Name on files associated with the student,so married or not they will be able to contact the parents most likely..Nice find GL finding the owner.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool find

hope you fnd the owner :)

hh

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Congrats! Call the guidance office (I'm a counselor). particularly in smaller schools you will have staff that has been around long enough to know the families and married names too. good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread