Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I've been hunting here and there over the past few weeks..needless to say I have hit a silver dry spell, but the wheat pennies, toy cars, keys and hoze nozzles keep coming ;D

I went out for a little no-pressure, slow-and-easy detecting this morning at a nearby elementary school I've been hunting for years..apparently I didn't cover every square inch!

In 45 minutes, I found a nickel, a penny and a dime. I wasn't having much fun, but I didn't have anywhere else to go, and the weather was cooler than normal, so I wasn't complaining.

I checked the field closest to the school, where there was a baseball diamond and some old tetherball poles..I had found rings near them at other schools, so I scanned around them carefully. I found absolutely NOTHING >:(

I began to walk toward the school again and got a super-strong nickel signal. These signals usually produce pull tabs, aluminum shrapnel or an actual nickel. However, this one was different, it was probably the strongest nickel signal I ever heard and didn't flutter at all on my Prizm's display pad.

Needless to say I dug the target, and in one big plug I saw the top view of this gold thing I knew had to be a ring. It was, and it was gold :thumbsup:

R2-5.jpg

R1-8.jpg

For years I have wanted to find a class ring and return it to whoever lost it. Now I have my chance. I'll keep you all updated on my progress!

Hope you all find a little treasure this weekend.
Nat

UPDATE: With the help of the high school, the ring is on its way to the person who lost it! I called the school not long after I found it, and after a little record research, a nice lady was able to track down her former address. The family had since moved, but luckily a woman with the same last name and area code was listed in the phone book. I spoke with the person's mom, who contacted her daughter. She called me today and described the ring correctly. She was so thankful to get it back, and just knowing this made the experience of finding it worthwhile. According to her mom, she thought the ring had been stolen and she looked for it for a long time. She never attended the school where it was found, but she told me her niece went there. Apparently it slipped off her finger when she was there some years ago and she never felt it come off her hand.
I want to publicly thank Debbie Weaver at the school for being so friendly and for helping me put the pieces together..without her help, I don't know if I would have ever found the owner.

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finally, A Class Ring

Congrats on finding the class ring, it's a pretty one too. Good luck finding the individual, keep us posted.

:wink: RR

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well alrighty Nat!!! :icon_pirat: That's a purdy ring too!! I do hope you find her. I still have one to try to find the owner of...I need to get that done. :P

So proud for ya. Now you can scratch that one off the list of wanna finds. :wink:

Nana :)

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nana40 said:
Well alrighty Nat!!! :icon_pirat: That's a purdy ring too!! I do hope you find her. I still have one to try to find the owner of...I need to get that done. :P

So proud for ya. Now you can scratch that one off the list of wanna finds. :wink:

Nana :)

Thanks Nana and thanks everyone else! I'll let you know my progress on finding the owner...

Nat

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300

If you have no luck with the school, don't forget to try facebook and sites like classmates.com as women will often list both their maiden and married names there. I have found old friends that way so am sure it could be used to find ring owners too if you figure out the name.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Awesome Nat! Still looking for my first class ring to return.

That's a beauty, and I'm sure it's owner will be thrilled to get it back!!!

Jim

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kimsdad said:
WTG, Nat!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

What's your hose nozzle to gold ring ratio? ;D

Thanks Neil! The ratio is 4:1 :laughing7:

UPDATE: I called the school today and a nice lady is checking records..she said she'll try to contact the family who should be able to contact me..she said they've reunited several people with their lost rings so hopefully I'll get a call soon :thumbsup:

Nat

tndigger

Mar 11, 2009
tn
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2

:icon_pirat:
class rings are fun to find and return found a 2010 this year and returned it.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: With the help of the high school, the ring is on its way to the person who lost it! I called the school not long after I found it, and after a little record research, a nice lady was able to track down her former address. The family had since moved, but luckily a woman with the same last name and area code was listed in the phone book. I spoke with the person's mom, who contacted her daughter. She called me today and described the ring correctly. She was so thankful to get it back, and just knowing this made the experience of finding it worthwhile. According to her mom, she thought the ring had been stolen and she looked for it for a long time. She never attended the school where it was found, but she told me her niece went there. Apparently it slipped off her finger when she was there some years ago and she never felt it come off her hand.
I want to publicly thank Debbie Weaver at the school for being so friendly and for helping me put the pieces together..without her help, I don't know if I would have ever found the owner.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a great thing. Congratulations on finding the owner. That's what this hobby is all about. I hope to be able to find and return a ring for someone some day!

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, you'll get your turn eventually if you keep at it!

Nat

kevin11

Mar 12, 2009
Bronson,Michigan
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Class ring Class person Class act it all goes together.With more people like you the the world would be a better place.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find + Great return = Satisfaction

61willys

Jan 3, 2009
Central Ca.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt/ whites Prizm 4/505 and EyeBalls
:icon_thumright:
WTG ,cool ring too...It always feels good to do the Right Thing...and I believe whatsoever you reap you also will sow... Good things comin your way....!!!!
God Bless You For thinking of Someone else other than Yourself...
Dave J.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: