Daughters Big Find

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
For my daughter,Cheyenne's 10th birthday in September ,I finally broke down and got her a Pioneer Bounty Hunter...just to keep her quiet when tagging along with me. She has been diligenty hunting since. We live on a lake, that was once a river bed and then when the dam broke in the 1940's they allowed it to remain flooded...hence the lake. Cheyenne has been hunting the shoreline since and began digging a hole near the shore since September. It just kept getting deeper and wider...and when asked ,she would keep telling me that something was down there. She called it her "Money Pit ".
Every once in a while she would come in with an old spoon,beads? ,a bottle or two that she dig out from the hole...but she just kept digging....telling me she knew that something was in that hole....soon the hole was as deep as she is tall. ( 4') When we began to get snow, she even covered the hole with a peice of plywood to keep it clean...Well last night she said she was going out to dig...even in the frigid weather we have had...I just laughed. About a half an hour later I heard an excited "mama,mama!"
I looked out the window to see her struggling up the hill with two large heavy items.... What she had found in her "money pit" was a large iron logging cant hook and the front off an old safe door,about 2 x 2'...........Maybe not the best treasures ...but to her she had hit big treasure! I think I have another die hard metal detectoress in the making!
Will post pictures as soon as Santa brings me my new digital!

Attachments

• peavey_cant hook.gif
    peavey_cant hook.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Wow GH...sounds like your research is coming along nicely. Seems like what Cheyenne's on to is an old dump site. Unlikely that things as diverse in weight and mass would be deposited by a flood in the same spot. Especially with intact bottles involved. All the finds you mentioned sound really cool. Since there are fishing lures there, maybe it was a dump associated with the fishing camp. It sounds like a great spot with the histories you mention. Keep us posted and remember, never underestimate the ability a creative mind has to bring a dream to tangibility. Smooth waters to you both~CO2 ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread