First Hunt

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
I am pretty sure Santa will bring me an ACE 250 for Christmas. It will be my first MD. I have (exclusive) permission to search a barn built in 1871. The barn is being restored by a joint State/County effort. The barn has an elevated floor about two feet off the ground. The wooden floor has been removed exposing the ground underneath. I have agreed to leave anything I find but I can take pictures and have rights to any stories aobut the search. Do you have any suggestions for making the search?

Upvote 0

DANNYGEE

Oct 27, 2005
GREENLAWN, NY (LONG ISLAND)
Detector(s) used
2-6000 di pros
hey sounds cool.
i would dig all sigs(signals) in all metal mode.
never know what ya might pull outa there!
have fun.
although i might have a secret pocket to slip any gold coins into that might pop up.
i didn't just write that did i?
just the th'er in me i guess.
dannygee

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a good place to hunt. Make a diagram of the barn floor and record the relic location. Honor your agreement it may lead to more sites. I no it is easier said than done. Good luck and HH Stan

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Yes I agree...do a nice diagram and take some picture. I might talk to the person again and see if you can turn the finds over to someone, weather it be the state or the school or liberary...just so someone else doesn't reak the rewards. They might not be as honest as you will be.
Good luck with your hunt.

Ken

OP
OP
Strand-Filter

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Thanks for the replys. I'll keep you posted.

Dannygee: I'll have to resist the temptation to "pocket the gold". The site is a"bute". It was built by a wine and champaigne merchant in the 19th century. He owned steamships to boot.

IDburdie: Great suggestion. I'll make the diagram. There will be plenty of pics, that's my other hobby.

Ken: Another great idea. The site has its own museum and display areas. it will be so cool to have my own displays at the site. I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even found anything yet.

This is going to be a fun hobby.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't see relics going back into the ground where no one can see and enjoy the history of them. Much betterserved to go to the museum. Renegotiate. Something they can live with? Monty

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all! ?You might find a cache there. ?I've detected around old barns and there will be a lot of trash so don't let it discourage you. ?Pay attention to the meter display when digging targets and learn as you go. ?HH and good luck, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great spot to start!

Good luck on your hunt and let us see those pictures!!!!

Merry Christmas!

;)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Sounds like a great site! How far apart were the spaces in the floorboards? the wider the better :D pretty wierd you can't keep anything you find, maybe they think you will find gold and then get rich off it and they don't want you to ::)

OP
OP
Strand-Filter

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Monty: It was great getting a reply from you. I have been reading your posts for the last two months. The finds will not be left in the ground but will be displayed or otherwise preserved. I keep getting ahead of myself thinking I will find anything, much less something worth displaying.

Mike: Thanks. I will dig everything. The site has some great history. The meter should get a work out.

Nana: I will post the pics. Let's just hope it's more than dust and old horse p**p.

Jake: I can't complain about not keeping stuff. The site is owned by the state and is being restored by the county. They are kind of tight with artifacts. If I get a display with my name on it that will be a great satisfaction for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions