67.9 KB · Views: 2,619
  • P1000343 [640x480].JPG
    P1000343 [640x480].JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,286
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Listed as #KK-26 in Birdsell's Ku Klux Klan Tokens. "There" refers to the 1928 National Konklave. There are similar tokens for Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. All of the originals (there are some restrikes or cast fakes) were struck by Whitehead & Hoag. The same Klansman-on-horseback obverse die was used on at least three other KKK tokens as well.

One of these Illinois tokens, in somewhat better condition, is listed at $250 at:

http://www.kkklan.com/coins.htm

Some years ago, another was valued at $93.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
PBK said:
Listed as #KK-26 in Birdsell's Ku Klux Klan Tokens. "There" refers to the 1928 National Konklave. There are similar tokens for Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. All of the originals (there are some restrikes or cast fakes) were struck by Whitehead & Hoag. The same Klansman-on-horseback obverse die was used on at least three other KKK tokens as well.

Another of these Illinois tokens, in somewhat better condition, is listed at $250 at:

http://www.kkklan.com/coins.htm

Thanks for the info,,PBK,,, I belive this one has whitehead & hoag on the edge down low on the reverse.

Sounds like it might be worth a little,,,,thats cool!!!

thanks

art

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Rando said:
That's unique.
:icon_thumright:
Willing to bet not too many people have found one of those.
As much as people are trying to rewrite history, it is amazing how popular this group was in the earlier part of the 20th century.
It was almost like the Masons of Moose Lodge in some areas and they viewed themselves as a fraternal organization, often times strongly rooted in politics.

They actually lost most of their influence due to internal scandals before the civil rights movement.
I'm not giving my opinion one way or the other here, just stating facts as I know them.

Good write up rando,,, and very well put !!! That was some strange times back then,,, was it not???

thanks for the reply

art

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allot of history buffs would like to have that for there collection as myself. What a GREAT FIND. That will make a good conversation piece. I would say it's got some value. $$$ I'm envy, not because of the value, but the find itself, what a terrific recovery thanks for posting.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Nova said:
Allot of history buffs would like to have that for there collection as myself. What a GREAT FIND. That will make a good conversation piece. I would say it's got some value. $$$ I'm envy, not because of the value, but the find itself, what a terrific recovery thanks for posting.

Thanks nova,, I thought it was a pretty neat page out of the history book myself!!

art

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to find one just for the history, just like I would love to find an Iron Cross from WWII. You don't have to believe in the cause to appreciate the history of the items you find. Heck I was born and raised in the south, but I would still enjoy finding a "Damn Yankee" Buckle, err I mean "Union Buckle".... :wink:

pitbullfan

Sep 18, 2009
Newton Grove, NC
Detector(s) used
First: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Now: Excal
Wow!!! I've never seen one of those (truthfully had no idea they existed) Thats why I love this stuff, you never know what you or someone else is gonna dig up and provide you with another history lesson. Awesome find.

HH
-Jason

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Seems as if the token is somewhat rare. Worth more in a collection than any amount of money can bring. Very nice.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love It...............

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Ya never know what a person will dig up do ya!!! Its kind of a wierd chapter in history,,,Glad they left something to remember!!!

thanks everyone!!!!

art

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
I'm pretty sure this won't make the banner. It is a cool find either way.
Newt

kansas coin hunter

Feb 24, 2008
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites q2 6000 di series 3 6000di pro and whites bulleye pin pointer
i uesd to be long to klan a long time ago shame on me but not no more did not like what did back in the oledr times i m done with theam forgive yall i was born in ga i hate the klan now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread