1928~~KU KLUX KLAN COIN~~~~~

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Well my brother done it to me again,,,, :laughing9:,,,

He dug this on an old house yard this morning.

Yep,,,, its your friendly old hooded horseman!!!!

They aint like the templar knights,,,, are they???? :laughing9:

Thanks for lookin

art

Attachments

• P1000342 [640x480].JPG
    P1000342 [640x480].JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,623
  • P1000343 [640x480].JPG
    P1000343 [640x480].JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,290
Upvote 0

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i found a key chain fob from the clan it is blank no name or adress on it but says what to do if you find the keys it has a 1038 date on the back i think it is siver or white gold it was nice and shiney when i dug it up in a old jewelers yard in his grapevines no silver crud build up on it though must be white gold dug it at 3 inches ot sung out loud foud it with my bounty hunter prospector dx in july of 08

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it was supposed to be a "political group" to protect southerners from abuses of power from appointed union "carpet bagger" politicans which occured after the war -- in the beginning it was supported by the confederate general bedford forrest -- however once it devolved into a mere racist hate mongering group -- he dropped out and withdrew his support for them (rightfully so I might add)-- they are to blame for the rebel --stars and bars battle flag --being viewed as a symbol of hatred rather than its rightful place as a bit of "southern heritage" as it should be veiwed. --- slavery is of course unsupportible --since if one man can own another by law -- then someone has the "right" to own me --so as I would not wish to be a slave myself < I do not have the right to own one>

all else said its a great find and a interesting bit of history.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice find!
That sure makes for a great conversation piece.
Mike

TiredIron

Mar 10, 2009
Cotopaxi, Colorado
Detector(s) used
CZ-7, F5, FX-3
Its interesting the judgements people make over one "symbol" or another. The display of a "Swastika" is banned in Europe and Plastic Model makers have ceased including them in their kits of aircraft that wore them during WWII. Yet considering the equally horrific atrocities that the Japanese commited there seems to be no issues with the display of their "meatball on a white flag"... :dontknow: They continue to use it today. Nobody blinks twice about it...... :icon_scratch:
I know the "winners' get to write the history.....and I guess they get to decide whats appropriate and what isn't. I think historians will agree that more people have been killed and suffered in the name of Christianity and the "Cross" than anything else. And of course 500 years of genocide of the Native Peoples of North America....all under the flag and symbol we salute and pledge allegiance to today.
The KKK were definitely out of control and did very bad things for a short period of time in History,
but its still History.....and shouldn't be swept under the rug. History should be constantly reviewed and remembered......lest it be repeated. :read2:

Tirediron
I think of all of the animal species.....humans have the shortest and most selective memories!

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
TiredIron said:
Its interesting the judgements people make over one "symbol" or another. The display of a "Swastika" is banned in Europe and Plastic Model makers have ceased including them in their kits of aircraft that wore them during WWII. Yet considering the equally horrific atrocities that the Japanese commited there seems to be no issues with the display of their "meatball on a white flag"... :dontknow: They continue to use it today. Nobody blinks twice about it...... :icon_scratch:
I know the "winners' get to write the history.....and I guess they get to decide whats appropriate and what isn't. I think historians will agree that more people have been killed and suffered under Christianity and the "cross" than anything else. And of course 500 years of genocide of the Native Peoples of North America....all under the flag and symbol we salute and pledge allegiance to today.
The KKK were definitely out of control and did very bad things for a short period of time in History,
but its still History.....and shouldn't be swept under the rug. History should be constantly reviewed and remembered......lest it be repeated. :read2:

Tirediron

Very well versed my friend!!!!BRAVO!!!!

I myself am decendent of native americans,,,,,,look at the way they were treated !!!,,,,,,,, UNFORGETABLE!!!

THANKS

ARTHUR

Attachments

• orson.gif
    orson.gif
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,324
  • orson.gif
    orson.gif
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,290

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of 1927 WorldBooks and the Ku Klus Klan is listed and it has many nice things to say about them. It told why they started and why they thought they were needed in this particular time and era. Things have certainly changed since then. Nice find from an interesting time in history that I hope we never repeat............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it." Georges Santayana

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a great token man.

One you don't see ever.

HH Jer

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Regardless of feelings about the KKK.....what a great history find.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
artzstuff1 said:
Yes,, it was a nice find indeed,,, how would a person go about cleaning it?? or just leave it the way it is??

thanks

arthur

Thanks for all the interesting replys,,,I think well all got a little history lesson on this item!!!!

swing ahead

art

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet find. I never knew the KKK made a token, that's a keeper. Another nice little pice of history recovered even though it's on the dark side.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
spartacus53 said:
That is a sweet find. I never knew the KKK made a token, that's a keeper. Another nice little pice of history recovered even though it's on the dark side.

Thanks spartacus53,, It has kind of been swept under the rug,,,,

arthur

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
i bet youre down there in so. ill. coal country,,,,,,,,great find,,,,,,,are you close to herrin,,,,south west of town in 1928 was one of the largest klan gatherings ever,,,,,hunted those cornfields to death, a couple of klan pocket knives and lots of silver coins,,,,,,but no tokens,,,,,,lots of road houses down that way,,,,ever heard of charlie birger,,,,

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
"pond creek" do you live close to highway 45,,,,,i bet youve heard of the sheldons

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
usmc0351 said:
"pond creek" do you live close to highway 45,,,,,i bet youve heard of the sheldons

I live about 50 feet from hiway 45,,, and yes pond creek is where the infamous shelton gang was from.

Charlie harris was from there also,, that whole area is steeped in history,, some good and some bad!!

mostly the latter,,... here are a couple of guns that belonged carl shelton,, he fell dead on the pistol thats pictured!!

art

Attachments

• sheltons pistol.jpg
    sheltons pistol.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 677
  • sheltons shotgun.jpg
    sheltons shotgun.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 690

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
TiredIron said:
Its interesting the judgements people make over one "symbol" or another... ...considering the equally horrific atrocities that the Japanese commited there seems to be no issues with the display of their "meatball on a white flag".

Tirediron

Indeed.

Nice find Artz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread