Beaches

N

Nightf10182003

No..this isn't about a Bette Midler movie...sorry to dissapoint. So...I finally went to the beach as it is the first weekend that it hasn't been crappy out since I got my new toy. I wasn't expecting much as there aren't too many people frequenting the beach these days. I went to an out of the way, secluded spot that buts up against the local navy base and within a few minutes I was digging..and I never stopped. I found weights and some kind of toe ring and very little in the way of trash...and a lot of clad. I didn't realize the effeects of salt on coins...I got coins with barnacles on them, all the dimes look like pennies, the quarters were either penny-esque or shiny and worn down...and there were only two nickels....but this is the weird part....after walking a few hundred yards, I turned around and headed back the way I came and found even more clad. I figured in all my wisdom, "hey!, if this little remote beach has this much stuff, let me go down the beach 1 mile to the public area where all the people go!" So, I get in my car and head down to the "busy" beach and after about 20 minutes, I got.........nothing...not a single signal...not even a pop top...good job cleaning crews....so I head back to the secluded beach and I finish out the day finding even more clad....all in all about $8.00. Not too bad for a first time out. The only problem I had was that I couldn't get near the water or the wet sand because the detector would go crazy....any ideas how to stop that? Pictures will be sent tonight after work...

Upvote 0

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Yep - like everyone said: get a machine built for water. I did. Just found a wonderful Minelab Excalibur on EBay - new - and saved about $400 (which finally made it "affordable" for me). I'll be taking her to Daytona on Monday for her maiden voyage. Can't wait to tell you all about it when I get back home! Happy New Year's Everyone!
Ruth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread