cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3I,White's xlt,Fisher F4,Tesoro Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you say "Banner"?

If this isnt a Banner I wont be coming any closer. Found this coin in a soccer field this. I have found a couple large cents there; including a no date flowing hair. Never thought I would be finding silver as well. Thought it was a reale but now not sure. The date is plain enough to see;1768.. Havent cleaned; a little scared too.Any help identifying the coin and possible value would be greatly appreciated. Sorry ; I can get any better pics with my camera. Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• 10-31-09.JPG
    10-31-09.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,674
  • 10-31-09A.JPG
    10-31-09A.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,686
Upvote 0

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Re: Can you say "Banner"?

I can't help with the ID as I'm sure others can't without more detail--not without better photos. Consequently, if you do desire a place on the banner, deserved or not, you won't get it with your current photos. Take a look at the banner and look at the quality of those photos--aim for similar quality, and you may hit your target. If it is a reale, we won't know the denomination without obv & rev photos. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing a possible banner find!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

It is the Milled Pillar type. If it is the size of a dime, it is a half real. A one real would be the size of a nickel and a two reales would be about the size of a quarter.

Congrats on a great find! :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great old silver! Lets see some better pics!

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

WOW! Let's see some better pics!!! Congrats on such an oldie!

OP
OP
cintisteve

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Can you say "Banner"? _Better Pics

Here is some better detail.HH

Steve

Attachments

• PA311048.JPG
    PA311048.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 1,576
  • PA311051.JPG
    PA311051.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 1,582

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, you got Spanish!

It's strange we find reales here but never that type.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't get much better than finding one of those... I love the rush...

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I voted you a banner Steve. Hope that was from Cinncy and not Miamisburg...too close to me...lol

SKD

OP
OP
cintisteve

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A Spanish colonial silver coin, minted in Potosí in 1768, featuring the columns and the hemispheres.Columnarios are silver coins that were minted by Spain from 1732 to 1773 throughout their new colonies in present-day Latin America. While the majority of columnarios were struck in Mexico, smaller mints existed in Guatemala; Lima, Peru; Santiago, Chile; and Potosí, Bolivia. The base denomination is an 8 reales coin. Other minor denominations included 4 reales, 2 reales, 1 real, and 1/2 real. The 8 reales coin is the predecessor to the American dollar. Before the United States Mint was in production, columnarios circulated, along with other coinage, in the US colonies.

Prior to the columnario, coins were hammer struck. There are called cobs. Clipping was a problem with cobs as it was easy to shave small amounts of silver from the edge of these coins and although this action was punishable by death, it was a widespread problem. The columnario, unlike the odd-shaped cob, is round coin with milled edges which makes clipping detectable.

The design of the columnario consists on the reverse of two worlds -- representing the new world and old world -- with a royal crown above. Below are the waves of the sea that separate the worlds and on left and right are columns (hence the name columnarios) representing the Pillars of Hercules adorned with crowns and wrapped with a banner spelling "PLUS ULTRA", meaning "more beyond". The reverse also has the letters VTRAQUE VNUM, referring to the Old and New Worlds, "Both are One", and the date at the bottom, with mint marks on both sides.

The obverse features the crown's name followed by D G HISPAN ET IND REX, meaning, "By the Grace of God, King of Spain and the West Indies." The assayer's mark is on the left and the denomination on the right of a large Spanish shield which is adorned with a royal crown atop. Various florets, rosettes, stops, and other features are used to separate features.

The edge has a repeating laurel leaf design which is very difficult to counterfeit and is often used for authentication purposes.

Currently, the Mexican 8 reales columnario is worth $200USD or more, depending on condition

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Congrats! Details! We want details! How deep was it? What did it sound off as? Whaddya think ya had before you dug the hole?

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread