I had a great day, finally a cutlass with a blade attached.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
no gold,no silver, only copper was from the artifacts but I finally got a cutlass handle with a blade attached. it aint perfect but I'm very happy. the wind was really blowing today and waves were mountainous. but it was blowing all the water to buffalo leaving me with 100 feet of extra shoreline to play on.

I decided to try a new part of the beach and was rewarded nicely. 5 cutlass handles and a sixth with the blade still attached, 12lbs of sinkers,a stainless knife blade,pocket knife,loaded .38 round, brass handle,brass ring,small copper pieces ?,a quarter,2 dimes,5 pennies,and a monkey wrench. it was funny I took my detector back to the truck and most of this is visual finds.

103109beachfinds.jpg

happy hunting to all.

Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I had a great day

lots of treasures there, man with all those fishing weights, I'd make a lot of bullets.lol thanks for sharing and hh.

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

dig ? no most of this was just picked up off the ground. the lake was so shallow due to the wind I walked along and picked up whatever I saw by the naked eye. I moved quite a few pieces out of the zone so when I go back with the detector there wont be as much scrap involved. the cutlass handles have the number 133 cast into them, this is henry nocks board of ordinance number, he was a sword maker in london until 1785 in 1785 his son in law james wilkinson of wilkinson sword fame took over the buisness. wilkinson kept the number 133 and put it on everything they made in tribute to henry nock.

I have enough bullets already, I have been keeping the lead for a motorsailor project as weight for the keel to offset the sails. if I get hard up for cash I can mould divers weights and really clean house. thanks for the replies and happy hunting to all.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

I like the sword handles :icon_thumleft:

How did they all come to be in a lake :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

handles are probably from a shipwreck in the 1700's. the british were expanding fur trading operations immediately following the french and indian war. detroit was to become their frontier outpost/trading mecca. this would give them pivotal control of the upper lakes and a seaway to ship furs/timber/goods and keep their forts resupplied.

still trying to figure out which wreck it is. I think it is the beaver lost in may 1771 but several artifacts post date it, mostly coins. there was a ship that stranded on another shipwreck in the 1830's so those artifacts may be mingled amongst the beavers. robert marx says in his book of buried treasure that the british lost a payroll ship during the revolutionary war at locust point,other books claim it was long point,still others near toledo or magee marsh. it may be one of these.

I keep looking for that one artifact that will name the vessel. I was hoping the gold signet/cypher ring found earlier this year could be traced to its owner. the museum says it is 1700's but unknown. I wish I knew someone that knew how to decipher the inscription, that would help. there is a porcelain piece from liverpool circa 1755-1764 by the pennington brothers,and the type of construction that matches perfectly with the beaver.

every year I find more and more . besides the stranding there is a fishtug that went to pieces on the reefs and alot of modern trash like sinkers,lures,outboard/outdrives,propellers,rudders,and the like. I just keep plugging along, sooner or later it will give up its secrets. I like a good mystery.

the

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are digging these in Ohio? WTF?! More info!
Carl

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

beach hunting at its finest!!!! need to clean the sword so we can look in awe. better!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

curbdigger carl, most people write off the great lakes without batting an eyelash, but there is tons of history in lake erie alone. I'm digging in the central basin of lake erie's southern shore. there is not alot of information during this period on the great lakes due to the wars and the fact there was nothing but frontier, so the most you get is a paragraph in someones notebook or ledger.

in fact my only lead was a paragraph in the belfast news that stated the beaver was wrecked near sandusky and is a total loss. barge ashore(their longboat)trunks ashore all 17 dead captain william jacobson;tucker. 3,000 lbs sterling, cargo peltry flour. and that was it.

the sword is a cutlass. they were very crudely made during this time period, so cleaning won't help much. pitty it was not in deeper water or below the clay bottom. that would have preserved it nicely.

Cheeserock

Jul 23, 2009
Central Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett AT-Pro Whites Classic SL-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hunt the low water when I can too. I have Eyeballed some neat old stuff in rivers and lakes that most people have been walking past for years without even thinking about looking at the bottom.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jeese louise man, Change that title! This stuff is far far cooler than "had a great day"!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome finds!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :headbang:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would freak out with a sword find like that.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You've certainly done your research on this site and it looks like it's paying dividends now ... maybe you'll get your mystery solved before too long ... congratz on some very nice artifacts!

OP
OP
wwwtimmcp

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

it was a great day to me, I'd do backflips to get this thing id'd though. I am sure that day will come it will just take a little while longer.

me and a buddy used to walk the local river during droughts and we used to pick up tons of stuff. we had fishing lures and knives even found a safe once. pity it was empty.

happy hunting to all.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!Good Job!Can you dive??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread