KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received permission yesterday to hunt an empty lot in a historic area on Main Street in my hometown. There was an early 20th century home on the site that was demolished about 15-20 years ago.

I evaluated the weather for the rest of the week (which is calling for rain and cold starting tomorrow) and decided to grab a couple of hours of hunting this afternoon. I left home with about two hours of daylight. I approached the wonderful old lot with high hopes of silver.

And what did I find??? Nothing but amber waves of grain! A whopping seven "old" wheaties, but not a single piece of silver. I found a 1913, a heavily corroded and worn 1919-S (my heart skipped a beat at first ... thought it might have been a 1909-S!!), an absolutely pristine 1920, a 1930-D, two 1936, and a 1937. I was, obviously, on a good "old" site.

All cleaned up nicely in a hot peroxide bath. Here's my pic ...
12-01-09-wheat-pennies.jpg

I will, of course, hit the area again. I'm planning to go back, turn 90 degrees, and hit it all from another direction.

And the owner is a super-nice guy. He has invited me out to his home to investigate some trenches in the woods on his land. He apparently has several shallow trenches with earth berms on the "high ground" on his property, very close to the Cumberland River. He is convinced that it is a Civil War site. He wants me to investigate, and I plan to take him up on it!

Thanks for looking!

Geoff

Upvote 0

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
:icon_thumright:
Nice wheaties !!! Sounds like strong possibilites of a unsearched civil war site !!!! Good Luck!!!!!!

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool finds maybe if you can hit the site again after a rain you can find some silver lurking there. also congrats on the possible cw site keep us informed. thanks for sharing and hh

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Wow those cleaned up well :thumbsup:

How do you clean them with the peroxide?

hh,
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread