Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halfdime and I have been digging outhouses in an old ghost town here in PA. We posted a pic of a few of the bottles from the first completed pit the other day, but here is the group shot. Not bad for one privy eh?

Privy1_Group1.jpg

Privy1_Group2.jpg

Privy1_Group3.jpg

And in the second privy, that we started this past weekend, we found this shotgun. Pretty cool find wherever its found, but in a privy? Interesting to say the least. I started electrolysis tonight and here are a few pics before and after 2 hours of cooking. It seems to be coming along well.

Before

shotgun1.jpg

shotgun2.jpg

shotgun3.jpg

shotgun4.jpg

2 Hours into cooking...

shotgun5.jpg

shotgun6.jpg

Upvote 0

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Nice finds. Digging the old privy holes is fun. You would have more luck with that barrel if you use stainless instead of copper in your tank.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vwayne1 said:
Nice finds. Digging the old privy holes is fun. You would have more luck with that barrel if you use stainless instead of copper in your tank.

Well I am using a method posted by BuckleBoy, and I am consider him a tried and true relic hunter, so I will see how this works for a day or two. I have used stainless steel in the past, but figured I would try the copper tubing this time.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your great selection of finds. :icon_thumright: Privy digging can leave you feeling flushed with success. ;D

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy S**t! Those bottles (and insulators) r awesome! Thanks for sharing.

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
vwayne1 said:

Not to be a PIA, but I'm pretty sure that stainless use creates chromates in your electrolyte, which is nasty stuff. I'd steer clear of it to be sure.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Hey Jared,

You guys are cleaning up up there, congrats!

Those are some nice poisons there too, as well as the rest of the bottles and insulators.

As far as the stainless steel vs. copper goes, I don't think it makes too much of a difference on iron. I have read that at the very end when you're using copper, it can cause a coppery sheen, but :dontknow:. Its old iron anyways.

As far as the chromates go, if you use stainless extensively and drink it or bathe in it, you may eventually have problems. If you do ANY electrolysis, you wind up with some small amounts of hydrogen coming off, which could be flammable(if you contain it into a ballon, set it near the stove, or do like the idiot on youtube, popping hydrogen bubbles with a lighter in your kitchen ::)). If you follow your standard safety precautions, you should be fine, and I think you've got the handle of it :icon_thumright:.

Looked like you guys wound up doing pretty good at the group hunt, really wish I would've made it out there. I hoped I could catch y'all again, but looks like I'm about to depart Virginia, with the exception of possible visits.

Take care and keep at it!

Josh

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Fistfulladirt said:
Cool digs! Wonder how the insulators ended up in the privy? ffd
They were actually attached to each other with wire; they probably got there like everything else - a convenient place to dispose of something!

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrsherman said:
Hey Jared,

You guys are cleaning up up there, congrats!

Those are some nice poisons there too, as well as the rest of the bottles and insulators.

As far as the stainless steel vs. copper goes, I don't think it makes too much of a difference on iron. I have read that at the very end when you're using copper, it can cause a coppery sheen, but :dontknow:. Its old iron anyways.

As far as the chromates go, if you use stainless extensively and drink it or bathe in it, you may eventually have problems. If you do ANY electrolysis, you wind up with some small amounts of hydrogen coming off, which could be flammable(if you contain it into a ballon, set it near the stove, or do like the idiot on youtube, popping hydrogen bubbles with a lighter in your kitchen ::)). If you follow your standard safety precautions, you should be fine, and I think you've got the handle of it :icon_thumright:.

Looked like you guys wound up doing pretty good at the group hunt, really wish I would've made it out there. I hoped I could catch y'all again, but looks like I'm about to depart Virginia, with the exception of possible visits.

Take care and keep at it!

Josh

Are they shipping you out again Josh?

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
If you have any scrap pieces of lumber laying around you could build a frame and double layer heavy plastic to lay the barrel in. Would be a lot quicker then doing it a section at a time. Copper will deteriorate during the electrolysis process. You might want to use iron, not stainless steel.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
If you have any scrap pieces of lumber laying around you could build a frame and double layer heavy plastic to lay the barrel in. Would be a lot quicker then doing it a section at a time. Copper will deteriorate during the electrolysis process. You might want to use iron, not stainless steel.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Brute trashcan that I am going to use tonight so I can immerse the entire gun. I just wanted to see how well this setup worked before I did it on a larger scale.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Kiros32 said:
lumbercamp said:

Thanks for the advice. I have a Brute trashcan that I am going to use tonight so I can immerse the entire gun. I just wanted to see how well this setup worked before I did it on a larger scale.
Would electrolysis work on the toy trucks?

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Kiros32 said:
lumbercamp said:

Would electrolysis work on the toy trucks?

I think it would just eat them away completely considering how thin the metal is.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Nah they're not shipping me out, I"M shipping me out :laughing7: It's been a long and bumpy road, even for just 6 years, but I'm at the end of it thankfully. Friends, Family, school and a job are going to be my new priorities. At least more so than they were. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions