RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was able to get out for a one hour hunt with my brother today. He actually had the find of the day, found a CW button. I am sure he will be posting it later (Jimmy D). I got a strong hit and dug a three ringer. I noticed the top had been hollowed out. At first I was thinking hollow point but new better for that time frame. Within five feet I dug another three ringer and it had the same thing. When I got home I cleaned the bullet and the hollow tip appears to have screw marks. I was told that if a bullet gets lodged in the gun there was a device to remove it. Any further information would be helpful. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 482
  • BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 491
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 487
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
those are pulled bullets ( it the powder was no good the bullet had to be pulled and dumped -- or if you screwed up and in a rush shoved a bullet down the barrel with no powder under it a common "newbie" mistake in high pressure battles)--the device used to pull them is called a "worm" or bullet puller --it looked like a modern screwwith a theaded end instead of a head--it was made of steel andthe threaded end screwed into the end of a ram rod and the cork screw type part was twisted into the soft lead bullet where it drilled its way into it --you then yanked it out and unscrewed it from the worm --dropping the bullet and dumping the dud powder -- you could now reload "properly"

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ivan salis said:
those are pulled bullets ( it the powder was no good the bullet had to be pulled and dumped -- or if you screwed up and in a rush shoved a bullet down the barrel with no powder under it a common "newbie" mistake in high pressure battles)--the device used to pull them is called a "worm" or bullet puller --it looked like a modern corkscrew with a theaded end--it was made of steel and the threaded end screwed into the end of a ram rod and the cork screw type part was twisted into the soft lead bullet where it drilled its way into it --you then yanked it out and unscrewed it from the worm --dropping the bullet and dumping the dud powder -- you could now reload "properly"

Thanks very much for the information. I hope it wasnt the same soldier cause he may have been having a bad day.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RiverRat3 said:
ivan salis said:
those are pulled bullets ( it the powder was no good the bullet had to be pulled and dumped -- or if you screwed up and in a rush shoved a bullet down the barrel with no powder under it a common "newbie" mistake in high pressure battles)--the device used to pull them is called a "worm" or bullet puller --it looked like a modern corkscrew with a theaded end--it was made of steel and the threaded end screwed into the end of a ram rod and the cork screw type part was twisted into the soft lead bullet where it drilled its way into it --you then yanked it out and unscrewed it from the worm --dropping the bullet and dumping the dud powder -- you could now reload "properly"

Thanks very much for the information. I hope it wasnt the same soldier cause he may have been having a bad day.

a Williams cleaner may helped if they were in one of there many practice drills.
If not, than it could have been a deadly mistake not to seat the bullet on the charge.
I think it was Gettysburg that they found a musket with 23 loads lodged in the barrel from panic of the Battle.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nova treasure said:
RiverRat3 said:
ivan salis said:

a Williams cleaner may helped if they were in one of there many practice drills.
If not, than it could have been a deadly mistake not to seat the bullet on the charge.
I think it was Gettysburg that they found a musket with 23 loads lodged in the barrel from panic of the Battle.

Nova Treasure
Thanks for the information. I also heard about the rifle with 23 rounds from Gettysburg.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
two pulled bullets that close together --good chance from the same fellow --bad batch of powder or if in battle maybe he dry loaded his weapon (forgot to dump the powderload down the barrel first before ramming home the bullet --a very common newbie nistake in battle or maybe the powder charge was no good ( blackpowder would easily suck up dampness ruining it )--either way out the bullet had to come to clear the barrel for a new "fresh set up of powder and bullet"--if in battle this could get you killed easily since you could not fire your weapon until it was properly reloaded-- thus the old saying" keep your powder dry"

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Above scenarios all true and very likely,but you may also be close to an encampment.They would "worm",or unload there weapons upon returning to camp as well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
guns if left loaded over night would often gather dampness into the powder charges in the barrels due to condinsate from hot / cold temp changes of the metal barrels ( I modern blackpowder hunt and still would not leave my gun loaded over night in hunt camp due to this factor)-- thus they had to be reloaded with a fresh load in the morning -- often when returning from pickett duty to camp to prevent accidents "in camp" guns were un capped and then unloaded by worming out the bullet at the edge of camp --firing the weapon could cause a false alarm or even give away the units location to nearby enemy forces -- of course if the area was thought of as secure target practice could have taken place as well.

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
wierd 3 ringer

Maybe the one gentleman was the only one near by witha worm...I would make the newbies walk to me to unload...lol

~Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread