The big Roman coin.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• fgfgdgdgxdfgd 006.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 006.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,539
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 007.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 007.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,526
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 009.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 009.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,511
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 010.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 010.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,536
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 032.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 032.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 1,510
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 053.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 053.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,490
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 037.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 037.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,501
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 041.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 041.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,495
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 044.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 044.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,483
  • fgfgdgdgxdfgd 071.JPG
    fgfgdgdgxdfgd 071.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,456
Upvote 0
OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TnMountains said:
Beautiful recovered items. I have a spur similiar to the one you are showing. Very nice as always. Enjoy your post. Thank you
TnMountains

Thank you ... maybe you could tell me century belongs to Spur I found the other day put a few dates ... but I'm not really sure what , only by the state of conservation and the worn silver plate appears some parts to the 19th century. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Great Roman Coin :headbang: I never get sick of finding them, trouble is it's not often you get them as good as yours :o this one was my favourite :) but it had Bronze desease and quickly fell apart :'(

SS

Attachments

• Sesterce.jpg
    Sesterce.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 780
  • Ses R.jpg
    Ses R.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 776
  • Sesterce.jpg
    Sesterce.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 761
  • Ses R.jpg
    Ses R.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 762

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Silver Searcher said:

Great Roman Coin :headbang: I never get sick of finding them, trouble is it's not often you get them as good as yours :o this one was my favourite :) but it had Bronze desease and quickly fell apart :'(

SS

Now that is a real shame. It has/had really magnificent detail. I would have been depressed for week. I have never encountered "bronze disease" so far.

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Nice coin SilverSearcher...Bronze disease or cancer: the presence of chloride salts, and paratacamita atacamite on the surface of currencies consisting of copper alloys is very destructive. Cuprous chloride and cupric chloride causing spots of pale green to blue-green, soft and powdery on the surface of a coin, because they produce hydrochloric acid (copper chloride combined with oxygen and water from the air) that corrodes the currency cuprous chloride producing more ... etc. to get rid of the coin. In dry climates the problem is more strange because the reaction requires a relative humidity of 39% or more to become active.

It is easy to remove with a brush, but will appear again in a few weeks.

Mild cases.

Heat:

The heat neutralizes bronze disease temporarily removing the water needed for the reaction. This reaction will reduce your progress or stops temporarily

Put in oven at 200-250 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour. This failure to achieve a cure, the humidity can initiate the reaction again as soon as the currency to cool. In the best case, the application of heat to a currency temporarily stop or slow disease progression.

Heat can change the color of the patina, after treatment with heat, heated coins tend to be darker.

Distilled water:

The use of distilled water may seem counterintuitive since the humidity is necessary to start the reaction.

Do not use tap water. The minerals and salts in tap water could increase the bronze disease.

The most effective cure appears to be a three-step process:

1) brushed to remove as much growth as possible damage dusty surface of the coin.

2) Leave the currency dipped in distilled water, changing at least every day for two weeks to a month. This serves to remove the chlorides. These go into the water slowly (attract the chloride ions). It is essential to the processing time and frequent changes of water every few days to a week

3) After heating the oven the coins in a normal kitchen oven at 250 º C for two to three hours to remove the currency of any moisture present.

At the end of this process, if all went well, bronze disease (dusty green) will be gone. Coins can be darkened slightly due to oxidation baking. If necessary, the currency can be polished lightly with a soft cloth.
:wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread