1788 2.5 reales

U

umrgolf

As KylePA would probably put it, I put on my colonial thinking cap today. :laughing9: I ventured back to the site that produced the bent 1789 one reale after work. That coin had come from a soybean field adjacent to this real old house on the property. Nowthis house was built in the 1780's and the owner had told me before I couldn't go in the yard on previous attempts. So today, I met the owner's son and he said 'sure go ahead, dad won't mind' ??? I told him dad had already turned me down so he went and asked. I had one hour of daylight and these are the finds. Before I go, I will say this.. It is one thing to dig these type of coins in a field but is very surreal digging them right next to a house that was built in the same decade. (these coins were about 30 feet apart) Hopefully I'll have a similar post this weekend :thumbsup: Enjoy! HH Jeff
NEW PICS BELOW (6th and 7th down) ;D

UPDATE... just got off the phone with my diggin buddy, the 1/2 reale appears to be a Lima, Peru mintmark (M overlapping an E) definately not a mexico mint like the 2 reale .. any of the spanish experts out there feel free to pitch in ur 2 cents.. always willing to learn something new

1788 1/2 reale & 1788 2 reale uncleaned

uncleaned.jpg

cleaned front

1788 2 1:2 reales.jpg

and cleaned back

1788 2 1:2 back .jpg

buttons (love the big tombac :headbang: )

buttons.jpg

couple odd lead bullets, a musketball, and a buckle piece

misc.jpg

Attachments

• 1788 2.5 front .jpg
    1788 2.5 front .jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,741
  • 1788 2.5.jpg
    1788 2.5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,689
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions