1788 2.5 reales

U

umrgolf

As KylePA would probably put it, I put on my colonial thinking cap today. :laughing9: I ventured back to the site that produced the bent 1789 one reale after work. That coin had come from a soybean field adjacent to this real old house on the property. Nowthis house was built in the 1780's and the owner had told me before I couldn't go in the yard on previous attempts. So today, I met the owner's son and he said 'sure go ahead, dad won't mind' ??? I told him dad had already turned me down so he went and asked. I had one hour of daylight and these are the finds. Before I go, I will say this.. It is one thing to dig these type of coins in a field but is very surreal digging them right next to a house that was built in the same decade. (these coins were about 30 feet apart) Hopefully I'll have a similar post this weekend :thumbsup: Enjoy! HH Jeff
NEW PICS BELOW (6th and 7th down) ;D

UPDATE... just got off the phone with my diggin buddy, the 1/2 reale appears to be a Lima, Peru mintmark (M overlapping an E) definately not a mexico mint like the 2 reale .. any of the spanish experts out there feel free to pitch in ur 2 cents.. always willing to learn something new

1788 1/2 reale & 1788 2 reale uncleaned

uncleaned.jpg

cleaned front

1788 2 1:2 reales.jpg

and cleaned back

1788 2 1:2 back .jpg

buttons (love the big tombac :headbang: )

buttons.jpg

couple odd lead bullets, a musketball, and a buckle piece

misc.jpg

Attachments

• 1788 2.5 front .jpg
    1788 2.5 front .jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,741
  • 1788 2.5.jpg
    1788 2.5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,689
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: 1788 2.5 reales (New Pics added)

wow those are some fine coins Jeff. Awesome

Good luck if you get out this weekend.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thank you all! Headed back out there as we speak :hello2: ... HH!

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2000 said:

Great hunt and bring back some more goodies :D Great coins and congrats on the Banner :hello2: :sunny: :icon_king:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

wow! i know that feeling very well! i never found a spanish silver coin in 20 plus years detecting and i found 2 within a half hour from eachother.about 20 feet apart.
what a rush huh? surely doesn't get much better than that!
CONGRATULATIONS!on the banner finds!
i think i forgot to post mine on this site but here's my post of that fabulous day on another forum i belong to.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35736

keep pounding that site bet ya get a few more! awesome job! and happy new year!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2000 said:

You lucky dog.

(As Buckleboy looks out the window at the Snow. :-\ )

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta like that! It's funny I've dug two old silver on the same day 4 or 5 times but they have never both been Spanish. Usually Spanish and French, and once it was Spanish and British. Pretty good banner day. :thumbsup:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

congrats on making the banner!!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thank you guys! sorry buckleboy :D and looks like u had a nice day there heavymetalnut :thumbsup:

So I went back today, and just like usual my partner got me...

My finds- dateless Braided hair LC, I think a KG copper, 20 buttons or so and TONS of lead :laughing9:

HIS FINDS >:( - (2) 1/2 REALES, an old SILVER spoon, a SILVER thimble, bunch of buttons ::)

lol, just messin with ya big guy, nice hunt :headbang:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome banner finds! I still dream of digging Spanish silver.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Hang in there birdman, its all over out there.. ive gotten some at all three places ive been stationed (SC, NY, and now VA) .....

Ok, I'm headed back out there KirkPA... The weather is gonna be awful (high 33 with 17 mph winds all day >:( ) I promise if I get anything worth posting ill get it up here

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

umrgolf2000 said:
Hang in there birdman, its all over out there.. ive gotten some at all three places ive been stationed (SC, NY, and now VA) .....

Ok, I'm headed back out there KirkPA... The weather is gonna be awful (high 33 with 17 mph winds all day >:( ) I promise if I get anything worth posting ill get it up here

wow good luck. Tried to get out here yesterday and spent 15 mins digging a washer out of the frozen ground before giving up. Today is probably only worse :(

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Haha ya I know what u mean Bob, we're still out right now I'm replying from my phone :) got a good one I'll be posting later ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Haha ya I know what u mean Bob, we're still out right now I'm replying from my phone :) got a good one I'll be posting later ;)

You're not making this Winter thing very easy! :angry4:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

umrgolf2000 said:
Thank you guys! sorry buckleboy :D and looks like u had a nice day there heavymetalnut :thumbsup:

So I went back today, and just like usual my partner got me...

My finds- dateless Braided hair LC, I think a KG copper, 20 buttons or so and TONS of lead :laughing9:

HIS FINDS >:( - (2) 1/2 REALES, an old SILVER spoon, a SILVER thimble, bunch of buttons ::)

lol, just messin with ya big guy, nice hunt :headbang:
thanks! see? told ya there's more there! now go get it!!!!!!!!!
dave

Damn Yankee

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
Cortes, S. Umax, Omega, E-Trac, White's M6...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get back out there this weekend, This thread has been a good one I keep checking it to see what else you'll find.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Damn Yankee said:
Did you get back out there this weekend, This thread has been a good one I keep checking it to see what else you'll find.

Hey man, thanks I appreciate that. I did get out there last weekend and got a couple nice things.. here is the thread for that if you wanna chek it out http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,293220.0.html .. I'm actually on vacation right now and my post from yesterday is titled "SC Civil War Hospital digs!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread