Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Wanna TELL!!....But I Can't!!!

After last weeks fiasco with the 'frozen dirt', Lisa and I decided to take advantage of the warm weather we had this week. We ended up getting out three different days. First day was looking for a site that I had spotted on one of the old maps, and it happened to be on one of my friends property that we frequent. :icon_thumright:
Get to the site, scoot under the barb wire and get to searching...
The site we're looking for should be somewhere at the bottom of this hill.
100_0193-1.jpg

At the bottom of the hill is a spring. It winds around and ends up here....
100_0191.jpg

Only problem is, seems the cows love to have their gatherings here and with all the rains we've had, their heavy traffic had made our happy hunting grounds one big mud hole. :P We did manage a few square nails and a some canning jar lids, but we decide to move on to another site for the rest of the day. Only had a couple of hours before dark. Here's what I came home with...
100_0207.jpg

Next day out we went to back to an old favorite. Lisa was about an hour behind me and I had only found a button to put into my keeper pocket by the time she arrived.
100_0204.jpg

We doodle around and I find a really neat belt buckle and a two toned canning jar lid. I don't normally keep the lids unless they're a kind that I've never found. (thought it was neat)
100_0202-1.jpg

100_0203-1.jpg

Found this strange cup looking thing....
100_0210.jpg

There's an old house here that has easy access to the bottom side. A couple of years ago we ducked under there, but didn't find much of anything. With my pocket on the empty side, I look at Lisa and tell her I'm going in! :D
100_0195.jpg

Didn't take her long to gather up her DFX and get to huntin'....
100_0196-1.jpg

It was pretty dark under there, so I could only rely on the tone to decide wheather or not to dig. (I forgot I had one of those head lamps) :P Anyhow, from the back of the house it's not too bad, but the closer I got to the front, I found myself in a space that had maybe two feet from the ground to the bottom of the flooring. I started getting really good tones and scooping up the goodies. It was difficult to tell exactly what I had, but could see that the silver coin I had found was a Barber. A few more minutes and it was time crawl out and see what I had found. Ended up with two wheats: 1909 and 1910! No VDB...but exciting to look and see. :D Got two Injun's...1901 and 1906 and then the Barber dime...1907. Also found a 1953 wheat at another spot at the end of the hunt.
100_0205-1.jpg

I 'bout had a heart attack when I found the top side of a little silver looking storage container, but nothing else in the hole. :-\
100_0209-1.jpg

Friday we had planned on hunting a particular site, but got side tracked and visited another. Was a neat place on the top of a mountain. Spent most of the afternoon there and had a couple of nicknack's in my pocket. Something that had sterling silver stamped on it..maybe part of a picture frame?
100_0235.jpg

100_0247.jpg

The day was almost over, but we wanted to hit the site that we started out for. I really didn't think I did all that well at this spot. A little disc here, a little clip there, but was satisfied with being able to get out and hunt. After I got home, I cleaned up what few items I had and notice some writing on the little disc. It looked like some kind of check tag, but where the hole on the top was had a rusty blob blocking the writing it had stamped on it.
100_0244.jpg

I couldn't stand not knowing what it said, so I worked on removing the blob. I popped off the majority of the rusty and started soaking and cleaning with a toothpick. What I found was as exciting to me as finding a gold coin! I can't reveal what this little tag goes to without revealing my site. :-\ Can only tell that it is somewhat historical and I am THRILLED to have found it! (It's NOT a miners tag :tongue3:) ;D
100_0266.jpg

End of the day pics....
100_0225.jpg

100_0226.jpg

Have a great weekend!!

Nana :-X :D :-*

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I Wanna TELL!!....But I Can't!!!

Nana,you all did awesome! That barber is fantastic. :hello2:

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

Great finds, Nana! Nice going on the Barber dime and silver (picture frame?) and all the rest. Looks like you have some neat places to detect! Congrats!

Ray

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

Absolutely neat finds :icon_thumright: Your sterling silver 'frame' looks a bit familiar. Once I found something very similar to it from a cheaper material (photo attached). I've always believed that it was a corner for a book or an album - a page 'protector'. It's not a fragment but a whole thing.

Attachments

• BookCorner001.jpg
    BookCorner001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3,098

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like a neat site. Nice finds. The thread's title has me puzzled.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Yous got out !

Love the Finds & Congrats on the silver Too

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

i know were you were nana!! you were at a old haunted hotel. i saw the orbs on your pic. they wanted there room tag back. :laughing7: willy

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Beautiful finds and pics ...Love all your ool finds. I think your funny cup may have been a funnel at one time.....

Digger1980

Oct 22, 2009
Easton PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix 6, MXT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG on the cool finds!! :icon_thumright:
Very nice pics too!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Looks like a great spot. You got some nice stuff, especially the barber! good luck with that place!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

Nice pictures and finds :icon_thumleft: looks like you have a watch winder in the same picture as the Silver fragment, unusuall shape to :thumbsup:

SS

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ohhh, you're killin' us! Does the tag have a place name on it...maybe a hotel?

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds Nana40 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Cool site :thumbsup:

midwest hillbilly

Mar 11, 2007

the funnel looks like the one you use for canning, great sight and some nice finds congrats :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• jar_with_funnel.png
    jar_with_funnel.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 2,781

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Nana,

Awesome spot! Great Post and finds. I found a Sterling "book corner" last year. I didn't know what it was, and posted it in the what is it category. Several people showed me very similar examples. Everyone was in agreement that it is a decorative corner for a book, most likely a family Bible. Here are some pictures of mine. The other item in my pictures was another "whats it" that turned out to be Opera glasses called a "lumiere". You will note how similar our book corners are.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 31909b.jpg
    31909b.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,727
  • 31909c.jpg
    31909c.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,702
  • 31909b.jpg
    31909b.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,731
  • 31909c.jpg
    31909c.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,705

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer

Gypsy Heart said:
Beautiful finds and pics ...Love all your ool finds. I think your funny cup may have been a funnel at one time.....

I agree with the Gypsy Chick.. <smile> your "funny cup", though now thoroughly flattened, was indeed a funnel in another lifetime. Cool finds, and, as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Terrific!I love the barber and the IH's.The the 104 tag?When I was a kid they had clothes baskets at the swimming pools/springs for your clothes to go in while you were swimming.The tag had an elastic band that went around your ankle. :thumbsup:

boopchapman7456

Aug 24, 2007
illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW Nana great finds, sure hope u can keep your secret place a secret :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread