My first time metal detecting. Coins and a Key.

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hi,

I went out on Monday for my first metal detecting hunt ever. I am not real sure that the detector was set right , but it was good enough to find some stuff. During deer season I found an old foundation and my Dad just got a new Fisher F5 for Christmas so I thought I would give it a test run. I have never owned one of these , but can see after one hunt that I will have to get one. Found a bunch of stuff that I just threw away like old square nails and other small metal odds and ends. I will have to start saving that stuff and checking it out when I get home. The Barber quarter in the picture I found while arrowhead hunting. It was not found with the detector. It is the only old coin I had ever found until using the F5. The old key I thought was cool, and the old glass button came up with one of the pennies. The dates on the old pennies are 1913,1919,1935,1948. The date on the Barber is 1903. Not anything special I'm sure , but just wanted to share. The Fisher was picking up stuff really deep , but I was not able to find what the deep hits were. It just kept giving me a hit over the hole. This happened several times. Probably just me not knowing what I was doing or how to set the machine. Lots of snow on the ground now , so I will have to wait to try it again.

Twig.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 811
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 803
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 780
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 799
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 814
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
for your first time, you did great. the key is really cool. some people collect old keys and you have a
good start. keep us informed on your finds

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heck I would walk a country mile for that key, and Barber :icon_thumright:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
you must have a great spot. that key is cool and barbers are not easy to come by! congrats

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
pepperj said:

I did walk a country mile or two for that Barber. It was right in the middle of one of my favorite fields for arrowhead hunting. Laying right on top and near a buch of broken glass.

Twig.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Spooky said:
Forgot to ask.: How frozen is the ground there?
On Monday it was not frozen at all. The ground was soft and soupy. I would bet after the 3 cold days in a row it is good and hard again. Just when I find a new hobbie to play around with the weather turns right back to crap!!

Twig.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
By the way,

Any Fisher F5 users out there that could point me in the right direction w/this machine? Any tips on settings and such would be very helpful. What to look for on deep targets and such.

Thanks, Twig.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find on the Barber. :icon_thumright: That key is very cool. :headbang: Congrats on your finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bent-Twig said:
pepperj said:

I did walk a country mile or two for that Barber. It was right in the middle of one of my favorite fields for arrowhead hunting. Laying right on top and near a buch of broken glass.

Twig.

Did you swing the detector at the Barber site?

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
pepperj said:
Bent-Twig said:
pepperj said:

Twig.

Did you swing the detector at the Barber site?

I have not checked that spot w/the detector yet, but it is high on my to do list!!

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Bent-Twig said:
Hi,

I went out on Monday for my first metal detecting hunt ever. I am not real sure that the detector was set right , but it was good enough to find some stuff. During deer season I found an old foundation and my Dad just got a new Fisher F5 for Christmas so I thought I would give it a test run. I have never owned one of these , but can see after one hunt that I will have to get one. Found a bunch of stuff that I just threw away like old square nails and other small metal odds and ends. I will have to start saving that stuff and checking it out when I get home. The Barber quarter in the picture I found while arrowhead hunting. It was not found with the detector. It is the only old coin I had ever found until using the F5. The old key I thought was cool, and the old glass button came up with one of the pennies. The dates on the old pennies are 1913,1919,1935,1948. The date on the Barber is 1903. Not anything special I'm sure , but just wanted to share. The Fisher was picking up stuff really deep , but I was not able to find what the deep hits were. It just kept giving me a hit over the hole. This happened several times. Probably just me not knowing what I was doing or how to set the machine. Lots of snow on the ground now , so I will have to wait to try it again.

Twig.

VERY nice old barrel bit key. Hold on to that one. HH

Dicks Lock Service

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
for the first time out you did great! get to know your machine and the finds will roll in gratz

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WhAt !!! First time :o ...you are kidding ..my first finds was gum wadded up in tin foil ,a nail ,and a bottle cap ..u may be the MD chosen one ;D Congrats these are amazing dude

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread