First glance, just trash. Second glance, hey, cool! Meteorite fragment!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT

Attachments

• meteorite 1.jpg
    meteorite 1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 950
  • meteorite 2.jpg
    meteorite 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 939
  • meteorite 3.jpg
    meteorite 3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 941
Upvote 0

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
How can you tell if it is a meteorite fragment, or just some scrap metal? I feel like I've thrown away a lot of things that look like that haha.

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I hate to pee on your parade, but that just doesn't look anything like a meteorite fragment. Looks like a piece of slag.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool !! to find something that traveled millions of light years ? with a MD thats one of my to find things HH Jim

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Only way to know for sure is to send it in and have it tested. If it's a meteorite, it will have some nickel content in it. There is lots and lots of burned melted pieces of metal in the ground and a lot of it looks like rocks from the sky. If your confident, send it in to have it tested.

OP
OP
M

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Well, the surface displays the usual ablation and flow marks from atmospheric heating of the surface, edges are very rough and sharp where this section appears to have seperated from a larger body. It's very slightly magnetic, with the backside of the piece showing no sign of ablation or heating at all. The back material appears to have some very small bright/reflective points showing, but I don't have a microscope to get a really good look at them, only a fairly decent magnifying glass.

Could I be wrong? Yes, though in both the surface features and the texture of the back it is virtually identical to some other Georgia-found specimens I had the privilege to handle a couple of years ago at the Weinman museum in Cartersville a little south of here. They had a pretty fair collection at the time, and I think they've expanded it since then. I may take it down there one weekend and have it authenticated since that's the only way to really be sure.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very nice looking piece of alien rock. A friend and I are hoping to go looking for them some day.
I"m taping the show off Science channel about the guy who found the biggest one in Kansas. Meteorite Men what the show is called.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gribnitz said:
Only way to know for sure is to send it in and have it tested. If it's a meteorite, it will have some nickel content in it. There is lots and lots of burned melted pieces of metal in the ground and a lot of it looks like rocks from the sky. If your confident, send it in to have it tested.
Maybe send it to AU :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions