Walking Half, mercury, wheats, .......UPDATED WITH PICS!!!!

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Sorry guys, went to use the digital camera, and discovered it has been dropped pretty hard and not working. I will have to get another soon. I suspect it happened when we had a babysitter Friday night, and we came home to what looked like? hurricane Katrina.

I wanted to go to some of the old abandoned farms today, but with as cold as it was here, and rain last night, I just knew there was snow up there ( I'm at 700ft above sea level, farm sites are above 3000ft) So I went to Triangle park. With it only being a block from home, it gave me a lot more swing time.

I ended up with my first half dollar coin! a 1934 Walking Liberty half!!! It's pretty worn, but everything is readable. Either way, it's a keeper. I found a beautiful 1942 Mercury dime! This is the best looking coin I have ever seen come out of the ground, it looks flawless! I mean it really looks beautiful! Mercury dimes are by far my favorite coin. It was in the same hole as the 1945, and 1945d wheaties. I found the first wheatie, scanned the hole again, BEEP....another wheatie, scanned the hole again, BEEP....then the Merc! I also dug 6 wheat cents...1929s, 1941s, 1945, 1945d (those were with the Merc), 1914, and 1913. All of these are in very very good shape as far as wear goes. all of the details are very sharp. The 1929s has a tiny bit of wear.

As for relics, I found a cool little pocket knife that looks like it was silver plated, and has some great engravings on it, but the steel parts are pretty corroded. I found a skeleton key (works in the doors in my house) and a shell casing that is head stamper "WRA 30 Mauser" it was for a broom handle Mauser pistol (looked it up)

I will try to get some pictures up if I can

Paul

Attachments

• IM000068.jpg
    IM000068.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Todays finds, Walking Half, mercury, wheats, and a pile of clad.......

Great finds .....and a nice story......Thanks Seeker

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

almost forgot.....$2.87 in clad, with only 10 zinc pennies (hate those things!)

Paul

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Must've been the weekend for coin's Paul,only the one's you got are far better.Gotta love the silver..Great job.Out of 112 coins this weekend one wheatie and no silver,Still great to get out.Congrat's and HH!!

R

rvbvetter

Very nice finds!!! Check the 14 for I think it's a D and the 13 for an S. If either one, they're worth a few dollars. WTG!! HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And I know you're glad you stayed in town to hunt today!

WoW! Sounds like some really great finds!!!

;)

KIXLSYD

Jun 9, 2005
Tacoma,WA

wow, it sounds like you really hit on some nice stuff there! Wow. I would be stoked just finding one of those coins, but my god. i would really freak if I found them all in one day. Good job, Brad

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

Very nice! :D And here's hoping you get your camera fixed! :)

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Some great finds, Paul.

Cheryl

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

is this the park you posted that had a street running threw it but its grass now,or that another one....

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Good day, can't wait to see the pics

Whitewings

Nov 23, 2005

Way to go Paul, I dont know if you got my post or not but Bremerton is about 70 miles from here. We go there (Silverdale) to go to the Mall. Yes ladies 70 miles of two lane road to the nearest mall. Not much shopping here.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Fantastic group of finds, WTG!!!
Too bad about the camera, that would definitely make me cry... :'(
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

dekalb33........yes, that is the park that use to have the road & sidwalk throuth it, "Triangle Park"

Whitewings.......I will be in Bremerton all this weekend, and plan on taking the DFX with me.

Paul

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I KNEW THAT CAMERA PHONE WAS GOOD FOR SOMETHING!!!!

Sorry for the very poor image quality. My camera phone isn't much compared to what I'm use to as far as cameras go. There is no apeture adjustment, and I had to shoot it at an angle to keep the light from the flash from bouncing back into the camera, thats why part of it is out of focus. Oh well, better than nothing!

I wish I could get good close ups to show just how nice that Merc is, and to show the sharp details of the wheaties. Well, shouldn't be long before I can do that again.

Paul

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Wow, that had to be a great feeling seeing the Walker and Mercury come out of the soil! :o Very nice and congratulations on everything including the wheaties and key.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread