My wifes new gold earrings made from rings Ive found...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's new gold earrings made from rings I've found...

I took three 14K/585 gold rings I?ve found to a Goldsmith and had a pair of earrings made for my wife. They came out very nice and have a 14K/585 stamp and a makers mark. However, I sent them back for a few upgrades already. When I ordered the earrings, I asked my wife to go with but she didn?t have time so we decided to go later, then we forgot about it due to some of life?s stress as my job has moved and me with it. They made the earrings to order but, I forgot my wife likes loops and not studded earrings. She also wanted a stone in the earrings. So I took them back and got a price quote for stones and loops. Small diamonds were not outrageously expensive so I opted for the diamonds and really didn?t want anything cheap going into ?MY? gold! Here are the earrings before the upgrade, I?ll post a picture after the loops and diamonds are added.
normal_Goldering02-06.jpg

This is the scrap leftover from the earrings. They showed me how they made the earrings and took me through the whole process from melt down to hand cutting with a saw, it was very interesting and I can say these are hand crafted. The whole process cost me around 160 USD with diamonds, a little more expensive because we didn?t get the order right, our fault, oh well! Plan on having a pair of earrings made with the scrap for my daughter as well and if I find a few more rings, maybe even a pair for my Mother-in-law. Thanks for looking, it?s frozen hard here and HH, Mike
normal_Goldscrap02-06.jpg

Upvote 0

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Re: My wife's new gold earrings made from rings I've found...

Thats a really neat idea you had. I'm just getting started in MD. If I find any jewelry thats scrap I think I'll do the same thing for my wife. Thanks for the idea.

Daniel

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's a great project! ?Just don't let them lose them for one of us to find again ?:D

S

southbound

Really cool Mike. Looks like they did a real good job. Keep in touch, Vern

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Cool Mike. Any guy who gives up his detected gold for his wife is one alright dude. I would like to do the same for my wife. Take some of the bent up gold rings and such and have them melted down into something nice. I wasn't sure if they could do stuff like that or not.

I also would like to get the stones out of some of the rings I have that can't be fixed and put them into another setting for her. My wife brings me home gold all the time.

She works for a large company called fidelity. They do like home loans and things like that. Well they have a lost and found and my wife is in charge of it. Every three or 4 months she brings home all the unclaimed jewlery. I then go through it all and find some keepers. She also brings home wheats and an ocasional silver coin pretty often.

Friday is jeans day at her work. And they collect like 500.00 to a 1000.00 dollars. And there's always a few wheats in there. She just came in the door as I'm writing this and handed me a 1918 wheat.

There is always a ton of fake stuff also. After 3 or 4 months of it not being claimed she gets to keep it. She has a few gold rings that she wears also not pictured. Hope you don't mind me putting a pic up on your post.

HH Jer

Attachments

• Work Gold & Silver.jpg
    Work Gold & Silver.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 708

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

Very nice idea.we are having a rap made for the wife's wedding ring..Two emerald's and four small diamond's.It's a great idea.
Ill post some photos when it's done..

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the great comments! Hey Daniel, this is a great hobby, if you practice good detecting, it's only positive! The Beep Goes On, I'm recycling and losing one is in the plan, LOL! Southbound (Vern) I found one of the gold rings near that last field we hunted just before the freeze several weeks ago, we have to talk as I have good news about detecting near the area and know where a few old fields are! Jerdfx, that's a good deal but be a little more careful about telling on yourself, they really are out to get us. Thanks all and HH, Mike

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Like that idea alot Mike,Maybe the wife will understand a little more when I show her this post.Thank's and HH!!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Well, I'm sure you don't hear gripes about "too much time spent hunting". Nicely done!

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado

Damn!!!! I was going to sell all of my found gold. Now I have to rethink it. I still have one of the emeralds I found [8 ct]
Maybe I'll make a ring this time

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 657

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know she'll love 'em Mike!

8) What'a Guy! 8)

;)

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Mike,
Those earrings are special!

Jer,,,looks like you have enough there to make a nice weighty bangle ;)
Dano,,,,it's a curse; this THING i have for emeralds ::)
HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's so sweet of you. She will treasure them forever.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

That is outstanding Mike! They sure did a real nice job on them.... looking forward to seeing the upgrade pictures as well!

Way to go buddy! What's that saying??? "If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!"

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Say, that's pretty neat! Do you think they can do the same thing with other metals? Like, say...aluminium? Cause I am rather short on gold at the moment...

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Mike, Great Way To Keep The Wife Happy. I Just Let My Wife Have Her Pick Of The Jewelery Finds. Best of Luck. trk5capt...

R

rb

Man that is a great idea to keep the wife happy when you are away on detecting trips.. Keep up the good work HH RB

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

Ok i said i would post some photos of the rap when it was done well its done
took a little longer than we thought.
For size the diamond is 1.01 KT

Attachments

• Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg