Cool Discovery/Abandoned School Filled With Stuff (Thousands of books and more)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
An old timer told me about several school sites, so I decided to go check out the first one one my list, which he said was built in 1949 and down a dirt road and abandoned. Called up Chris I've detected with a couple times and arranged to meet. I turned from the paved road to the dirt road and drove a mile and saw an overgrown baseball field old backstop and figured this is the place. Drove a bit more and there it was, a typical mid-sized school building on a good amount of property. No signs for trespass or anything. We started detecting and were finding clad, I went over and looked into the broken windows and couldn't believe the sight in just one of the classrooms, hundreds or more pieces of clothing, toys, stuffed animals, mostly trashed and moldy form exposure to the elements. A big bookshelf filled with books, some still in good shape, fallen down onto the ground...much much more. I then walked the entire building and couldn't believe all I found including old desks and junk computer equipment, old floppy discs, more clothing and old toys, books everywhere, mostly trashed...but....I got to the library, which luckily was the only room in the interior of the building that was largely protected from the elements. The entire library was almost totally intact...floor to ceiling shelves filled with books (I'd say a couple thousand books), almost all in very good shape, complete collections...unfortunately that room was dark, no external light coming in as you see in the photos below, so I couldn't photograph that room. This was far more interesting to me than detecting. Here are photos I took. Amazing thing is I found cassettee tape "Buried Treasure" - thanks to Earthworks for assist with these photos and Chris for getting out there today. I got home and called the library in town to see if they will rescue the books. Waiting for a return call. If not I'll get the local paper to write about it and I'm sure someone will want to claim them.

Attachments

• school.jpg
    school.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 703
  • school1.jpg
    school1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 697
  • school2.jpg
    school2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 709
  • school3.jpg
    school3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 709
  • school4.jpg
    school4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 708
  • school5.jpg
    school5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 720
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very cool... :headbang: Do you know how old the school is?? ??? If the years are right I'd be checking under all those chairs and desks for dropped coins. :dontknow: :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D :wink:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, seems a waste, good luck on saving the better ones..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some books have value depending upon the subject matter and author :wink:

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, how cool is that, too bad it wasnt much earlier. My hunting partner and I explored one last year from the 20s-30s much like yours, we keep discussing going back and making a movie......some day.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They tore down a perfectly good school near here to put the county in debt and to raise my taxes. This has happened twice in recent years. MISMANGEMENT >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions