possably my best find yet, military button. help ID please

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
i have been hunting my parents yard for three summers now. his yard sets out close to the edge of a small town in illinois. This yard was once the site of a farm. It just keeps producing.
today was no different, on a couple hour hunt, i covered about a 6 square foot area. i found a brass hinge and then at about 6 to 8 inches i hit a nice signal right next to the driveway. after digging for 30 min through gravel and brick out popped this beauty. picture attached.
it appears to be an old military uniform button. the photo isnt the best, i only had my phone with me.
Details:
dia. 1 1/8 in
one small hoop on the back for attaching
on front:
eagle w/ wings spread
looks like a shield on its chest
a banner waves above each wing
with a round grest above that

Attachments

• button front.jpg
    button front.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 414
  • buttonback.jpg
    buttonback.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 396
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0

bugbitingme

Mar 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack (BH Landstar)
Man, that is what I call perseverence and good on ya for that. That is a nice button.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
What you have there is a Great Seal button. They became standard issue in 1902, and are generally labeled WW1 or WW2 buttons. Don't think about it as just a non-Civil War button, like a lot of people do. Remember that more than likely, the man that wore that uniform was still a man fighting for our country. I've found 2 Great Seal buttons, and they're in the same button case as my War of 1812 and Civil War era buttons. Great finds, keep at it!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
jrsherman said:
What you have there is a Great Seal button. They became standard issue in 1902, and are generally labeled WW1 or WW2 buttons. Don't think about it as just a non-Civil War button, like a lot of people do. Remember that more than likely, the man that wore that uniform was still a man fighting for our country. I've found 2 Great Seal buttons, and they're in the same button case as my War of 1812 and Civil War era buttons. Great finds, keep at it!
Yep!!!!!!!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you seriously saying that in 2 hours, you only moved forward two feet? How is it even possible to go that slow? What is that? 4 swings? Your sweep speed is 20-30min per swing? I just don't get that at all....

OP
OP
Yucon Cornelius

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
bscofield6 said:
Are you seriously saying that in 2 hours, you only moved forward two feet? How is it even possible to go that slow? What is that? 4 swings? Your sweep speed is 20-30min per swing? I just don't get that at all....
try diggin in packed dirt n gravel. then add parkinsons disease onto you list of disadvantages. explains the speed. pluss alot of trash

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrsherman said:
YEP,and Yep,I especially agree with the latter part of your comment :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread