Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!
Hit the lake down the road today for two hours, first chance to use my new Excal under water... Found $2.45 in clad, no silver or old coins, but did find two rings right off the bat...
1st one is a nice little .925 ring, the second one I am not sure of... At first I thought it was white gold, but it is not marked. It is a very big ring, and weighs in at 6.97 gm and the inside of the ring looks to me like it has fine machine marks (under a 10x loop)...
I tested it with my platinum kit, and according to the directions if it only slightly dissolves, it could be "type 800" platinum...
I wondered if it could be another Tungsten Carbide ring, since they are marked with some kind of ink, and maybe it wore off.. But would the test acid dissolve Tungsten completely? Also, would a TC ring weigh that much? It is a size 12...
I would sure think that something as expensive as Platinum would be stamped, but I know little about that... Sure would like it to be platinum...
Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

• 05_03_2010 Rings.jpg
    05_03_2010 Rings.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 876
  • 05_03_2010 Platinum.jpg
    05_03_2010 Platinum.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 874
  • 05_03_2010 Platinum 2.jpg
    05_03_2010 Platinum 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 875
Upvote 0

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Silver Surfer said:
daroofa said:
For what its worth....I looked at 2 8mm Palladium rings on Amazon and they weighed 6.9 and 7.2 grams.
Everyone seems to thing Stainless, and probably right, but the weight of mine is right for Palladium.. Stainless SHOULD be lighter than Palladium, right?

Yes, by 33%. Palladium has a specific gravity of 12, while stainless has an SG of 8.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Looks like the Stainless rings I have found, jeweler can tell you for sure, but it is likely stainless..........
Thats the problem.... Took it to two jewelers, and they said it was either stainless or palladium, they couldnt tell... I had to wonder "how can you not know"...
Maybe I need to just send it in with my next batch and see what happens..

dwebb210

Jun 10, 2010
Silver Surfer said:
dwebb210 said:
Is it attracted by a magnet?
No, it does not stick to a magnet, but good stainless isnt magnetic...

Since you don't know what it is, we couldn't rule out "bad" stainless until you tested with a magnet.
And, even "good" stainless can become ferromagnetic if it is forged, drawn, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread