Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!
Hit the lake down the road today for two hours, first chance to use my new Excal under water... Found $2.45 in clad, no silver or old coins, but did find two rings right off the bat...
1st one is a nice little .925 ring, the second one I am not sure of... At first I thought it was white gold, but it is not marked. It is a very big ring, and weighs in at 6.97 gm and the inside of the ring looks to me like it has fine machine marks (under a 10x loop)...
I tested it with my platinum kit, and according to the directions if it only slightly dissolves, it could be "type 800" platinum...
I wondered if it could be another Tungsten Carbide ring, since they are marked with some kind of ink, and maybe it wore off.. But would the test acid dissolve Tungsten completely? Also, would a TC ring weigh that much? It is a size 12...
I would sure think that something as expensive as Platinum would be stamped, but I know little about that... Sure would like it to be platinum...
Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

• 05_03_2010 Rings.jpg
    05_03_2010 Rings.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 876
  • 05_03_2010 Platinum.jpg
    05_03_2010 Platinum.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 874
  • 05_03_2010 Platinum 2.jpg
    05_03_2010 Platinum 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 875
Upvote 0

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
Re: Todays finds, Platinum question...

could it be Palladium or Cobalt Chrome?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have no clue.... I hate to admit it, but the thought that it is a part of an outboard motor did cross my mind.. LOL... How could it not be stamped with something?
I guess I could always take it to a jeweler, but they use the same stuff I do, right?
I made a big, thick line on my stone, and it did not completely dissolve.. Saw a little bubbling right at first, then quite a bit of the "metal" flakes still present even after several minutes...
Heck, even the Tungsten ring I found had it printed on the inside (or maybe laser etched, not sure)... Is the weight about right for Platinum or Palladium?

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

If it were platinum, it should weigh more than 10-11 grams for that size... still it's always nice to pull a couple of rings out of the ground! :thumbsup:

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey,

See what range it reads on another machine. If its real low almost like foil then its platinum or palladium. All my Platinum have terrible or no markings, but all read like foil.
Hope its PLAT! Nice finds! and youll never put down that Excalibur now except maybe for an ETRAC.

Ya and Z is right is should weigh around 12 grams for that size I think.

Crackbadger

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool... I will sweep my MXT over it and see what it reads..... My scale is a cheapy (but seems nice), so who knows on the weight... I guess I could weigh a clad quarter and see how close it is...
I'll get back with the results of the MXT sweep...
If I remember correctly, the Tungsten ring I found read around Nickel... We'll see...

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well with my MXT it reads foil (12) if it is lying flat, and Nickel/Ring (14) if it is standing up on end (hole horizontal)... After reading your posts again about weight, I looked at it again and it is not a very thick ring. Wide, but not thick... Actually, it is thinner than an average 14k band of the same size IMHO...
I am glad to hear you have a lot of platinum with no markings, that at least leaves me with some hope... Melt value of this ring would be around $360 if it is platinum..
Also, I just pulled out that Tungsten Ring I found and it VDI's at 42, so I am pretty sure this new ring isnt Tungsten.. Looking more like Palladium which from what I gather, is not as heavy as Platinum...
Still going to take it to a jeweler just to be sure...

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer

I too use an Excaliber II. I don't know if you bought the cd that explains the sounds the Excal makes over various targets, but I will tell you this, platinum makes a very unique sound unlike any other ferrous or non- ferrous target. It's almoust like a double whoop only for platinum. Hope this helps.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

Hi SS:

It looks like stainless steel to me. I scoop 40 or 50 a year and they do sound good. On my CZ they sound like gold but don't have the signal intincity of the real thing. THEY SOUND LIKE DEEP GOLD BUT THEY USUALLY COME UP IN THE FIRST SCOOP.
You can do an air test with a like size gold ring and you won't be able to get the same depth on the SS.

Les

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KEVTEC said:
I too use an Excaliber II. I don't know if you bought the cd that explains the sounds the Excal makes over various targets, but I will tell you this, platinum makes a very unique sound unlike any other ferrous or non- ferrous target. It's almoust like a double whoop only for platinum. Hope this helps.
Funny you mention that.... Although I am feeling I wont be lucky and find out it's platinum, it did make a broken tone when I went over it.. I was wondering what it was and made several passes over the area in different directions, thinking it was possibly more than one target, but the hole was clear after I scooped the second time... It was probably a good 10" down in the sand..
Detecting in the water is sooo much nicer than the land, there was almost no garbage down there... I found only two pop tabs, and one shard of aluminum...
This "double whoop" you speak of, is it a high tone, medium (like a nickel), or low?
I have a file I DL'd off here (I think) that is of the sounds from the Excal, I will have to listen to it...

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggerfororo said:
Hi SS:

It looks like stainless steel to me. I scoop 40 or 50 a year and they do sound good. On my CZ they sound like gold but don't have the signal intincity of the real thing. THEY SOUND LIKE DEEP GOLD BUT THEY USUALLY COME UP IN THE FIRST SCOOP.
You can do an air test with a like size gold ring and you won't be able to get the same depth on the SS.

Les
Can I air test with the Excal? I thought I read somewhere that you couldnt.... I will have to try it though..

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

neat ring finds :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally figured out how best to discern if this ring is Palladium or not.. Sorry for reviving an old post, but figured it was better than posting a complete new post..

I know this ring is NOT Tungsten, as it has a lot of medium surface scratches on the outside.. I also know it is NOT Platinum, since it is too light..
I looked up the weights of all types of ring metals of this size/width, and then looked at the weight. It is too heavy to be Titanium, so that leaves Palladium..
It is a size 12, possibly a size 11 3/4.. It is 8mm in width.. It weighs 6.97 gms...
For those of you with lot's of experience, would that be about right for a Palladium ring?

Thanks again in advance... It would be worth a little over $100 if Palladium, so I really need to know if possible, since I dont want to waste shipping a worthless ring to the Refiners..

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to agree with the Stainless Steel conclusion. :read2: :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Cool find !! :o 8)

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daroofa said:
For what its worth....I looked at 2 8mm Palladium rings on Amazon and they weighed 6.9 and 7.2 grams.
Everyone seems to thing Stainless, and probably right, but the weight of mine is right for Palladium.. Stainless SHOULD be lighter than Palladium, right?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the Stainless rings I have found, jeweler can tell you for sure, but it is likely stainless..........

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless is heavier than Palladium, Palladium has a similar weight to silver. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread