Rev War Kind of Day

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year was not looking very promising for me in the detecting department. I leave for Afghanistan in a little over a week, and don't return until Christmas. I have been busy gearing up for that and all that comes with it, but managed to get out last week for just my second hunt of the season, the first being a nothing hunt really.

I headed for a site that has turned up some excellent finds, and it did not disappoint this time around either.

10 or so British buttons from various regiments including the 2st, 29th, and 84th. This would normally be enough to be considered a fantastic hunt by anyone's standards...but I was not done there.

Also turned up a beautiful brass heart likely associated with the 21st Regiment.

The 2 finds of the day however were this 84th regiment pewter badge. Some of the experts out there believe it could be a cockade button or badge of sorts, but do agree it is the only of it's kind known to exist. A find of a lifetime.

IS it possible to make 2 finds of a lifetime in a day? Sure is...

I dug up both halves of this beautiful Kings 8th Regiment neck stock clasp about 10 feet and 4 hours apart. Ironically I found the first half at the beginning of the hunt and was disappointed there were no markings on it...and I muttered to myself I would like to find the other half and have it engraved with a regimental number or name. Again, this is the only known example in existence. Talk about a rare day with some rare finds!!

I also dug several George III coppers and misc junk.

Sorry for so many photos.

Attachments

• DSC07577.jpg
    DSC07577.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3,436
  • DSC07580.jpg
    DSC07580.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3,407
  • DSC07581.jpg
    DSC07581.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3,388
  • DSC07587.jpg
    DSC07587.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,366
  • DSC07586.jpg
    DSC07586.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,354
  • DSC07589.jpg
    DSC07589.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3,357
  • DSC07588.jpg
    DSC07588.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,324
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much everyone. I only wish all hunts could be like this....then again, I guess hunts like this being so rare is what makes the hobby so great.

Ohhh....and thanks for the thoughts and prayers...I am in Canada however.

bugbitingme

Mar 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack (BH Landstar)
A man's greatness is not measured by how many servants he has, but by how many he serves. You are serving millions, thank you from one of them. (whish I could give credit for the quote, but memory fails me)

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Sweet and untouched! And perfect uniform patina. Banner+ material.

BTW, doesn't matter Canadian or American or British...the thoughts of your commitment and safety go beyond the borders. Thanks and come back safely. You've got a lot of detecting to finish at that site :thumbsup:.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I could easily be talked into saying Banner.
Just for finding both halves.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's so sweet!! A real banner find!
I would have been just giddy over just the buttons.
Awesome hunt, and something to keep your thoughts warm till your return to the soils.
Keep safe, and hope to hook up for a hunt in the future. :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang:

You Deserve the Banner for going over there my Friend :notworthy: keep yourself safe :) the finds are indeed stunning, we find nice things in the UK and old to :P but the range of the items you posted are indeed spectacular :o :o
Make room up Top :headbang:

SS

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) 8) 8) Eighth Reg. and all those amazing buttons are :o :o fantastic !! U have another vote from me, ColonialDude . More important, :icon_pirat: stay out of harms way over in ali baba country . :headbang: CMDdawg

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, those are amazing finds. Banner for sure. Thank you for your service.
Be safe over there.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are some killer finds. Good luck on your deployment, come back safe and hit that place again. :icon_thumleft:

L

lovedigging

What an amazing day, You have my vote for banner :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Be safe on your tour!!!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Some brilliant finds there :o :icon_thumleft:

Stay safe!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woweee, that complete neck stock clasp is really special, I have one half of one and at least it has a very beautiful decorative design on it, but to find one that is military marked, Wow!.. All the buttons you found, well, a hunt you will remember for the rest of your life I am sure.....

Don

vermonster

May 7, 2009
hootersville NY
Detector(s) used
whites prism IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:I vote Banner! I'd say you did pretty good on your second hunt of the season. Thank you for your service over in Afghanistan & Be safe!
vermonster

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Definitely a treasure trove of relics!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! There has to be more at that site. Good Luck Hogge

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a stunning hunt. Stunning! This is one of the BEST posts I have ever seen for Rev. War on this or any forum.

Way to go! :notworthy:

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread