Rev War Kind of Day

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year was not looking very promising for me in the detecting department. I leave for Afghanistan in a little over a week, and don't return until Christmas. I have been busy gearing up for that and all that comes with it, but managed to get out last week for just my second hunt of the season, the first being a nothing hunt really.

I headed for a site that has turned up some excellent finds, and it did not disappoint this time around either.

10 or so British buttons from various regiments including the 2st, 29th, and 84th. This would normally be enough to be considered a fantastic hunt by anyone's standards...but I was not done there.

Also turned up a beautiful brass heart likely associated with the 21st Regiment.

The 2 finds of the day however were this 84th regiment pewter badge. Some of the experts out there believe it could be a cockade button or badge of sorts, but do agree it is the only of it's kind known to exist. A find of a lifetime.

IS it possible to make 2 finds of a lifetime in a day? Sure is...

I dug up both halves of this beautiful Kings 8th Regiment neck stock clasp about 10 feet and 4 hours apart. Ironically I found the first half at the beginning of the hunt and was disappointed there were no markings on it...and I muttered to myself I would like to find the other half and have it engraved with a regimental number or name. Again, this is the only known example in existence. Talk about a rare day with some rare finds!!

I also dug several George III coppers and misc junk.

Sorry for so many photos.

Attachments

• DSC07577.jpg
    DSC07577.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3,436
  • DSC07580.jpg
    DSC07580.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3,407
  • DSC07581.jpg
    DSC07581.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3,388
  • DSC07587.jpg
    DSC07587.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,366
  • DSC07586.jpg
    DSC07586.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,354
  • DSC07589.jpg
    DSC07589.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3,357
  • DSC07588.jpg
    DSC07588.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,324
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is the proof that Canada is loaded with Revolutionary war buttons. :wink: I am speechless about your day, but at the same time, I am smiling. ;D You showed Iron Patch how to hunt the Rev war button. :laughing9: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy: Thanks for sharing!

Kirk

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
most excellent finds your hunt was great good luck in comming months war is so un cool wish this generation could have missed it i had mine in1969 you know that little mess in southeast asia oh life goes on keep your head down and stafe safe thank you for defending us i guess this is nessary :headbang: :notworthy:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FANTASTIC! But more importantly, THANK YOU for protecting us. Sincerely, Breezie

Jaygee Western MA

May 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
XTERRA 50
A very important historical find, should be in a museum, unbelievable, I'm in total awe, please be very safe in the sandbox, take care of each other over there, we will pray for your safe return

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinebarrens1 said:
best find i seen this year banner for sure ........and stay safe over there .......pine
And detune some taliband sucks.....

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds....congrats ! :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, those are some awesome finds! That's the only one known to have survived time or is it the only one Ever made?
:icon_thumleft: :wink:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very happy you were able to save such precious peices of history.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: WOW WOW WOW! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the all the comments reference the finds, and especially all the well wishes. I fully intend to return home to dig another day! Going to be a long time without the family though, and a long time with no detecting! I guess I could detect there, but digging up mines isn't really my thing.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Man, those are some awesome finds! That's the only one known to have survived time or is it the only one Ever made?
:icon_thumleft: :wink:

Hmmm....very good question. I would say a bit of both perhaps? It's certainly the only one known to have stood the test of time, of course it is possible there is another out there somewhere in a box, but not likely.

As for being the only one ever made, I would wager a guess that's probably NOT the case, but I suppose it could be!? There are other rev war neck stock clasps out there in collections from several other regiments. I believe these were not an issued item however. Perhaps they were in plain, but more than likely the officer who owned them had them engraved as they pleased. There is an example or two of neck stock clasps with the officers name engraved on them, so I would tend to believe what was on them, if anything was a matter a of preference. Of course...I could be wrong hah

I certainly wouldn't mind finding something with a name engraved on it from that period. That would make a find so much more interesting, to be able to research the soldier who owned something! Maybe next time out :icon_thumleft:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, THer. Banner material, 2 or 3 times over. Glad that you had such a great hunt.
Now, to the most important part.......you be safe over in Afghan country. And, DON'T TAKE YOUR DETECTOR WITH YOU!!!
Lots of stuff over there that you wouldn't want to find. :laughing9: Be safe, and get back to the States and your family ASAP.
(And, if you ever get stationed here in S. Korea, then email me before you get here, and let me find a site or two that we can
hunt. It would be my priviledge to show you how we do it in ROK.)

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
That is a stunning hunt. Stunning! This is one of the BEST posts I have ever seen for Rev. War on this or any forum.

Way to go! :notworthy:

-Buckles I agree 100% This is truly an awesome find! :o Banner is well deserved! :notworthy: Do we have a "Hall of Fame"? :laughing9:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow your finds over the last couple of years are not short of simply amazing...Congrats on another find of a lifetime... May you dig many more....hope post something like that at some point

take care

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome,awesome relics brother! Canada ,USA the UK,Australia and many others we are still brothers! Stay safe over there and thanks for your service!! :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions