Very Cool Hand-Made Silver Chain Found at Colonial Site!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, it's been a long time since I have posted anything on here. I want to first apologize to BuckleBoy, HillBilly, Rodeo Recon, and kindafoundabuckle for what I did in 2008. You all know what happened, and for that I am sorry. Please forgive me.

Anyway, I went out to a colonial site in Southern Indiana that has given up some Spanish silver, Civil War relics, and lots of flat buttons in the past. The site has been pounded to death in the last few years, so I wasn't expecting to find much. About an hour and a couple of flat buttons later, I get a signal that read 87 on my XLT, so I was thinking SILVER!! I dug down and saw the silvery glint of this chain in the side of the hole! I pulled it out and was surprised to see that it was intact and without plow damage! This was the same site where I found my 1812 Sergeants Whistle, but it wasn't until I got home did I think that the two could go together. I attached a small brass ring to the whistle and put it on the chain, and it looks great! Regardless of wether or not they were originally together, I'm going to start wearing it for good luck. Thanks for looking!

HH!

Fox

Attachments

• DSCN0595.JPG
    DSCN0595.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 754
  • DSCN0596.JPG
    DSCN0596.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 747
  • DSCN0597.JPG
    DSCN0597.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 0

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, there is hope for Indiana. I always get a kick out of good things coming from the Hoosier state. I remember your whistle from the original post, neat. The chain is awesome, I can't believe it is intact after all of this time. Congrats and please keep posting cool Indiana finds.

Don
HH

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat find :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
THAT is one of, if not THE coolest chains I have ever seen! GREAT find there Foxhound! Just Great!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a nice find.

I got a few of those early whistles myself.

HH Jer

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
That is a very unique silver chain. Definitely has that old scrimshaw look to it. :thumbsup:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GREAT necklace! Breezie

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Looks old, haven't quite seen anything like that. My friend's sister is into historical fashion and the Renissance. One time I asked her about the usual stuff people wore as fashion. She said the problem with a lot of existing pieces is that they were unusual and rare, and were thus preserved.

This looks like a handmade type of silver chain, probably from around 1800. There are probably not too many like it that survived. It's very intrigueing and may represent how people of lower status wore a watch or wore a chain at the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread