1727 KING LEOPOLD I SILVER DENIERS Coin in Virginia! Video Included

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, Jeff and I got out yesterday for our weekly digging exploits and about 5 minutes after arriving to one of

our spots, I got a really good Silver signal on the MXT (+62)...and as it was about 10 inches from the sidewalk I

thought for sure that it would be a Merc or Rosie or something of that nature....But when I popped it out....my first

instinct was "Its a One Reale!" However, on closer inspection, I realized that this one was a coin that was MUCH

more rare in Virginia and was NOT a Spanish Reale....The reason for this is I saw the Jerusalem cross in the style

that France use to use in the old days......but I had to have alittle help from a couple of my friends to get

verification: thanks fellas :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup:

1727 Leopold I Silver 30 Deniers

Silver Coin Jun72010.jpg

Silver Coin Jun72010.jpg

Reverse: Heraldric Eagle w/ Crown (look for the spread wings and feathers)
MD Pics 322.jpg

It's pretty thin and worn but from what I've seen, this one is actually in really good shape from the others that I've seen that have been dug; and I was really amazed to find FRENCH silver here in Virginia... :o :o Hope you guys like

VIDEO OF COIN COMING OUT

P.S. Here's the Civil War relics that we originally started out hunting that day:

Eagle "A" Coat
MD Pics 321.jpg

Group Shot (Eagle "A" Coat, Eagle "A" Cuff, GS Eagle, Eagle "I", Colonial Silver Wash, etc.)
MD Pics 330.jpg
MD Pics 310.jpg

POOR OLE JEFF...He just couldn't seem to catch a break yesterday....He did manage one Eagle "I" and GS Eagle early in the day:

MD Pics 309.jpg
MD Pics 308.jpg
It looked beautiful from the inside :laughing9: :laughing9:

MD Pics 317.jpg
:o :o >:(

Throughout the rest of the day he was having a tough break and only dug a couple tent grommets....BUT LO, we
stopped and secured permission at one more place before the end of the day and he redeemed himself with some pretty cool finds including:

1973 South Dakota Medallion United States Bicentennial

MD Pics 318.jpg

And a couple Good buttons this time ;D :wink:

Eagle I, GS Eagle, and U.S. Pin, and rest of items from our hunt the day before
MD Pics 338.jpg

We had a great time and thanks again for looking and for your comments :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Attachments

• MD Pics 307.jpg
    MD Pics 307.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • MD Pics 337.jpg
    MD Pics 337.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,034
Upvote 0
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1727 KING LEOPOLD I SILVER DENIERS COIN

Here's A Photo of the Jerusalem Cross Symbol that adorns the front of the coin above:

JerusalemCross.gif

U

umrgolf

Re: 1727 KING LEOPOLD I SILVER DENIERS COIN in Virginia!

Probably your find of the year thus far.. and that's pretty damn good.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Awesome coin.. Congrats on the buttons.
Dman

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's actually a pretty strange one to turn up because unlike the Double Sol, Musketeer, and 15 Deniers, it was not intended for the Colonies.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you give some clarity to the +62 being a solid silver signal ? On the VDI scale on the MXT
and some other higher end Whites units , silver coins begin around +80-82 , This is also
consistent with the scale on the detector itself -- Just curious - Thanks ! Argentium.

U

umrgolf

Argentium said:
Can you give some clarity to the +62 being a solid silver signal ? On the VDI scale on the MXT
and some other higher end Whites units , silver coins begin around +80-82 , This is also
consistent with the scale on the detector itself -- Just curious - Thanks ! Argentium.

The colonial silvers around here hit anywhere from 50-80.. we get many signals that we hope are silver, this being one of them... 62 is spot on for half-reales

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium said:

Yes, as UmrGolf said above; HERE in Virginia, silver coins hit anywhere from the 60s on up. It is very common to dig Mercs and Rosies and One Reales that hit in the low to mid 60s in this soil. In fact, every One Reale that I've ever dug here in Virginia pings at a +62 :wink: Hope this clarifies :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1727 KING LEOPOLD I SILVER DENIERS COIN in Virginia! VIDEO INCLUDED

Here's a little more info. and the coin has to be either 1728 or 29. Listed under Lorraine - Duchy standard coinage. (It is silver not billon, so that is good)

The choices are.... Leopold Joseph (Leopold I) 1728 or 1729 or Francois III 1729

To know for sure you will have to either confirm the last digit is an 8, or see part of the Francois Legend. If the last digit is 9, or you can only confirm it's Leopold and can't see anymore, then you probably won't be able to determine the year.

Attachments

• 84350R7.jpg
    84350R7.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 872

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Oh my God! My mind is blown! Great find!! :icon_thumleft:

EDIT: Hey, I just watched the vid on YouTube, cool stuff. I bought an MXT last week (my first MD). Can you tell me which coil that is you have on there? I imagine you use that coin mainly for coins. Can you tell me how you like it?

thanks!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice find :icon_thumright: :headbang: Leopold I good ole HogMouth amazing whats on the East Coast and New England only very thin silver also comes up around +62 on my DFX but IH penny's come up +82 :icon_scratch: Great find :thumbsup: Dd60

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man Sentinel what a find. I knew you were due for a great find. :thumbsup: Looks like Jeff didnt get skunked either. What a year you too have had. :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Josh, those are some incredible finds. Those buttons founnd in one trip reminds me of the type luck that relic hunters back in the 1970s tell me they found on a routine basis. Unfortunately, I wasn't hunting back then and Dman was a baby-LOL. How many of that type silver coin have you found in VA before? Nice and HH, Quindy.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice coin :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It is good to see you racking and stacking them, Josh. :headbang: Keep hitting that site at every angle that geometry will allow. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Argentium said:

The VDI reading is not only dependent on the type of metal, but its mass as well. The larger the coin (or other item) the higher the reading. Many of the cut pieces come in in the 40s, but a 2 reale might come in around 80. Same with gold, copper, or any other metal. So don't lock yourself into thinking that a silver coin, e.g., will always ID in a narow VDI range.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Josh

{Sentinel} said:
Hey Guys, Jeff and I got out yesterday for our weekly digging exploits and about 5 minutes after arriving to one of

our spots, I got a really good Silver signal on the MXT (+62)...and as it was about 10 inches from the sidewalk I

thought for sure that it would be a Merc or Rosie or something of that nature....But when I popped it out....my first

instinct was "Its a One Reale!" However, on closer inspection, I realized that this one was a coin that was MUCH

more rare in Virginia and was NOT a Spanish Reale....The reason for this is I saw the Jerusalem cross in the style

that France use to use in the old days......but I had to have alittle help from a couple of my friends to get

It's pretty thin and worn but from what I've seen, this one is actually in really good shape from the others that I've seen that have been dug; and I was really amazed to find FRENCH silver here in Virginia... :o :o Hope you guys like

VIDEO OF COIN COMING OUT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3LtBXK56iw&feature=player_embedded

P.S. Here's the Civil War relics that we originally started out hunting that day:

Eagle "A" Coat

Group Shot (Eagle "A" Coat, Eagle "A" Cuff, GS Eagle, Eagle "I", Colonial Silver Wash, etc.)

POOR OLE JEFF...He just couldn't seem to catch a break yesterday....He did manage one Eagle "I" and GS Eagle early in the day:

Throughout the rest of the day he was having a tough break and only dug a couple tent grommets....BUT LO, we
stopped and secured permission at one more place before the end of the day and he redeemed himself with some pretty cool finds including:

We had a great time and thanks again for looking and for your comments :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I've never dug a french colonial silver, and have only seen a couple others from around here. Its interesting how you and Jeff are finding a few very early finds in the midst of a CW camp. Nice going!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Very nice Josh

Bill D. (VA) said:
{Sentinel} said:

VIDEO OF COIN COMING OUT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3LtBXK56iw&feature=player_embedded

Eagle "A" Coat

I've never dug a french colonial silver, and have only seen a couple others from around here. Its interesting how you and Jeff are finding a few very early finds in the midst of a CW camp. Nice going!

Well, you better believe it Bill, because its DEFINITELY true, that's why I like to document my finds on camera :wink:

P.S.--This wasn't in a Civil War site but was an old colonial spot that subsequently saw Civil War troops :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread