Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Charter Member
    DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    230 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (12)

1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROYAL FARTHING Coin! CLEANED PICS ADDED

HI Y'all, I just CANNOT believe it I am pretty Stunned right now We went out digging this morning with no real sites

in mind and spent the first couple hours digging some colonial buckles and civil war items....when we decided to go

back to a spot that we have hit before and hit a couple days ago....First 5 minutes I dug a 1898 V-Nickel which is

pretty cool in its own right.......then I came across a signal hitting about +18 to +20 on the MXT and I was

debating on digging it...but as you know that old addage...DIG EVERYTHING...IT REALLY REALLY applies here

where I live because LOTS of Colonial flat buttons and flower buttons hit in that range.....SO, I popped it out and

out popped this little disc about the size of a Half-Reale....I could read the CAROLVS plan as day on it and we were

debating whether it was copper or silver as it was only hitting in the +40s when I got it out....Anyway, its copper

and its very thin and very old.... I was going to post the stuff I found yesterday which consisted of an 1852

Large Cent, a mystery copper that looks to be 1800s with Hindu writing and a wreath and these other items and I

WAS HAPPY WITH THOSE THINGS!!! Which is why this is UNBELIEVEABLE icing on the cake and after just digging that early

1700s French silver 3 days ago....

Type: 1625-1649 (Charles I) Royal Farthing
    Obverse Legend: CAROLV(S) DG MAG BRI (Charles by the grace of God King of Great Britain)
    Obverse: Single arched crown over two sceptres
    Reverse Legend: FRA ET HIB REX (France and Ireland)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MD Pics 350.jpg 
Views:	3091 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	418190

Name:	MD Pics 351.jpg 
Views:	3075 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	418191

Name:	MD Pics 354.jpg 
Views:	3064 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	418192

Name:	MD Pics 355.jpg 
Views:	3051 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	418193

Name:	MD Pics 356.jpg 
Views:	3137 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	418194

CLEANED

With dirt patina

Name:	MD Pics 358.jpg 
Views:	2691 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	418365

With oil

Name:	MD Pics 363.jpg 
Views:	2670 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	418366

Reverse (This back is going to clean up nice, all the detail is there, its just going to take me longer to clean the dirt
    buildup off of it as this was the side facing up....It should come off after a couple days in oil

Name:	MD Pics 368.jpg 
Views:	2620 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	418376

Name:	MD Pics 369.jpg 
Views:	2657 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	418377

Thanks guys for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MD Pics 383.jpg 
Views:	1565 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	419335  

Mar 2008
    upstate ny
    se pro
    5 times
    dirty pennies
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROSE FARTHING Coin!

awesome piece of copper there, Sentinel!
    i'd say you've well broken out of that "cold spell" you were speaking of earlier.
    keep digging!
    dirty pennies...

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    230 times
    Banner Finds (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Very uncommon find in North America!

Royal Farthing, rose farthings are a little different.
    Thanks IP....I saw the Rose Farthing and it had the identical face...what's the difference?

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    230 times
    Banner Finds (12)

First two pics is the Royal. Other than design, the rose is smaller, and not usually completely round.
    Cool, I actually like it better!

First two pics is the Royal. Other than design, the rose is smaller, and not usually completely round. You got the better of the two for sure!
    Also, if its a Royal Farthing (with harp), then its older than the Rose farthing

PS. If you come over here, you need to listen for the broken half's of these as well. As you say, dig it all
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
    13 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Re: 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROYAL FARTHING Coin!

I found a Royal Farthing this year, but it's now in two bits
    Who needs Cartwheel Pennies anyway?

Excellent history of these for anyone who wants to read it.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...ens.intro.html
    Seen it, was just about to say they were counterfeited But this looks the real deal

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER

Excellent history of these for anyone who wants to read it.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...ens.intro.html
    Seen it, was just about to say they were counterfeited But this looks the real deal

Yep, no question about that and I can recognize the obvious ones, but since there's many varieties, and most dug aren't perfect, it's often hard to tell. If it says CARA it's a good indication.
    Sadly, I pay little attention to the varieties, as you say too many, plus they just get bagged up with all the others. I do like them though as a indicator for a possible hammered (Silver).

Sentinel,
    This should be on the Banner, can you get good pictures of both sides?

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    230 times
    Banner Finds (12)

First two pics is the Royal. Other than design, the rose is smaller, and not usually completely round. You got the better of the two for sure!
    Also, if its a Royal Farthing (with harp), then its older than the Rose farthing

PS. If you come over here, you need to listen for the broken half's of these as well. As you say, dig it all
    Yes, I just cleaned the back and it does indeed have the harp...So what you're saying is that the Royal farthing would be toward the earlier end of the 1625-1649 time span then?

Well we know they were made inbetween this time period and if you say they are generally earlier than it is safe to say that this one is probably 1620s or 1630s I would think.....but no matter really, even if it was the latest possible date (1649) I would be JUST as happy!

Quote Originally Posted by {Sentinel}

Yes, I just cleaned the back and it does indeed have the harp...So what you're saying is that the Royal farthing would be toward the earlier end of the 1625-1649 time span then?
    They started before the Rose, but overlapped. Not sure how to tell an early one from a later one (I just count them as earlier)

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    230 times
    Banner Finds (12)

They started before the Rose, but overlapped. Not sure how to tell an early one from a later one (I just count them as earlier)
    Thanks Cru......Man, if this isn't a banner find for the U.S. then there ain't one......I KNOW for certain I'll probably not dig a coin again thats older than this one unless I get extremely lucky.....I mean Jamestown, the seed of America, was founded in 1607...were talking of a matter of 20 years from the founding of the American Colonies at Jamestown!

Thanks Cru......Man, if this isn't a banner find for the U.S. then there ain't one......I KNOW for certain I'll probably not dig a coin again thats older than this one unless I get extremely lucky.....I mean Jamestown, the seed of America, was founded in 1607...were talking of a matter of 20 years from the founding of the American Colonies at Jamestown!
    Exactly, my votes in. Pretty sure I read they dug these in Jamestown (yep it was in IP's link plus another source I can't remember)

us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Holy cow !! your in a great spot there must of been something major there for that many old coins welcome to the 1625 club in the short time i been on TN i never seen that many old dug coins in such a short period of time that is amazing out standing find that has my Banner vote !!! Dd60
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

us
    Feb 2010
    7 times

Nice finds!

Well they date before the trade tokens and Timekiller's made it to the banner.... eventually.

There's obviously a very old site there.... older than I've ever hunted.
    very possible, due to minimal wear.
    Sentinel,
    Is it possible in your area to have this mid-1600s site?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors