🥇 BANNER 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROYAL FARTHING Coin! CLEANED PICS ADDED

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: HI Y'all, I just CANNOT believe it I am pretty Stunned right now :o We went out digging this morning with no real sites

in mind and spent the first couple hours digging some colonial buckles and civil war items....when we decided to go

back to a spot that we have hit before and hit a couple days ago....First 5 minutes I dug a 1898 V-Nickel which is

pretty cool in its own right.......then I came across a signal hitting about +18 to +20 on the MXT and I was

debating on digging it...but as you know that old addage...DIG EVERYTHING...IT REALLY REALLY applies here

where I live because LOTS of Colonial flat buttons and flower buttons hit in that range.....SO, I popped it out and

out popped this little disc about the size of a Half-Reale....I could read the CAROLVS plan as day on it and we were

debating whether it was copper or silver as it was only hitting in the +40s when I got it out....Anyway, its copper

and its very thin and very old.... I was going to post the stuff I found yesterday which consisted of an 1852

Large Cent, a mystery copper that looks to be 1800s with Hindu writing and a wreath and these other items and I

WAS HAPPY WITH THOSE THINGS!!! Which is why this is UNBELIEVEABLE icing on the cake and after just digging that early

1700s French silver 3 days ago....

Type: 1625-1649 (Charles I) Royal Farthing
Obverse Legend: CAROLV(S) DG MAG BRI (Charles by the grace of God King of Great Britain)
Obverse: Single arched crown over two sceptres
Reverse Legend: FRA ET HIB REX (France and Ireland)

MD Pics 350.jpg
MD Pics 351.jpg
MD Pics 354.jpg
MD Pics 355.jpg
MD Pics 356.jpg

CLEANED

With dirt patina
MD Pics 358.jpg

With oil
MD Pics 363.jpg

Reverse (This back is going to clean up nice, all the detail is there, its just going to take me longer to clean the dirt
buildup off of it as this was the side facing up....It should come off after a couple days in oil
MD Pics 368.jpg
MD Pics 369.jpg

Thanks guys for looking! :-\ :hello2:

Attachments

• MD Pics 383.jpg
    MD Pics 383.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,732
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1625-1649 KING CHARLES I ROYAL FARTHING Coin!

Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

That's way better than the one's I have found :o great find, lets hope there is Silver Charles1 coins there :icon_thumleft:

SS

I forgot to add that, its above average condition.

Also, I think hammered silver when I get these, although it maybe too much to hope for in the US (but does happen) so fingers crossed...

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

What a great find. :P

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

awesome!!! save some for me please!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
Excellent history of these for anyone who wants to read it.

Seen it, was just about to say they were counterfeited :wink: But this looks the real deal

Yes I can...im at a wedding now but when I get home I'm going to post better pics...This coin I have if you notice is one of the more rare variants with the double arch crown and is listed on the coin sites for alot more than several of the hammered silvers....Thanks for saying this should be on the bannee ...I WAS BEGINNING to wonder if I was in the twilight "ne

Yep, no question about that and I can recognize the obvious ones, but since there's many varieties, and most dug aren't perfect, it's often hard to tell. If it says CARA it's a good indication. :wink: ;D

Sadly, I pay little attention to the varieties, as you say too many, plus they just get bagged up with all the others. I do like them though as a indicator for a possible hammered (Silver).

Sentinel,
This should be on the Banner, can you get good pictures of both sides?

Yes I can...im at a wedding now but when I get home I'm going to post better pics...This coin I have if you notice is one of the more rare variants with the double arch crown and is listed on the coin sites for alot more than several of the hammered silvers....Thanks for saying this should be on the bannee ...I WAS BEGINNING to wonder if I was in the "Twilight Zone"

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, being that Jamestown is just a few minutes up the road, it could easily have been lost by one of the Jamestown colonist

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Nice find Sentinel :icon_thumright: this is one of King James farthings I found last year.

Attachments

• James 1 001.jpg
    James 1 001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,712
  • James 1 002.jpg
    James 1 002.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,709

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

Lets just say HUGE CONGRATS to you on finding a great coin...You must have been shaking when relised what it was...I know i would be...That is awesome :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

robfinds said:
Nice find Sentinel :icon_thumright: this is one of King James farthings I found last year.

Of course, how dumb am I. Sentinel's is a Charles I Royal Farthing otherwise it would be James like your one :P I should pay more attention to these, forgot about James reign.

So definately 1625-49, sorry for the confusion

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Super great find.
Dman

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You are the current King of Foreign Coins Josh (non U.S.). You are on the longest roll of good luck that I have seen (especially for summertime). WTG Buddy and HH, Quindy.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Wow! That's just about the age limit for finding coins here in America. I think any of us here in the U.S. would be hard pressed to find a coin older than than. A really incredible find!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

That's way better than the one's I have found :o great find, lets hope there is Silver Charles1 coins there :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks Ethan, that's amazing! That just adds to what you and Crusader and Hammered etc. have said about this being an "above average" and "rare" find, especially for the U.S. :hello2: As for Charles I Silver...... I dug that 1727 Leopold I French Silver 3 days ago.....so I don't know if the silver gods will dispense another so quickly after that one...but I'm just as happy with this coin!!!!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello Sentinel,

Iv'e dug some more of my farthings out that I've found over the years. There's a Charles 1 royal farthing like yours, and a couple of Charles 1 rose farthings. The other farthing is the rare James 1 oval farthing, mint mark cross patee, issued for use in Ireland.

Attachments

• farth 001.jpg
    farth 001.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,418
  • farth 002.jpg
    farth 002.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,404
  • farth 003.jpg
    farth 003.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,419
  • farth 004.jpg
    farth 004.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,394

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
They're all in good nick Rob :o

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You are racking and stacking them like no other right now, Josh. Keep on finding the earliest of the earlies in SW VA!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job, Josh, on the Colonial find. :headbang: You have been racking and stacking them like there is no tomorrow. :headbang: :notworthy: It is good to see you succeeding, my friend.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread