Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, 1876 KING RAMA V Coin, 1845 Large Cent, & more

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, 1876 KING RAMA V Coin, 1845 Large Cent, & more

Hey Y'all. Here's my latest finds from the last two digs at a couple of my colonial/civil war sites. I dug my first Maine Staff in all my years of digging! This is a VERY HARD Civil War button to find as there weren't very many soldiers from Maine who fought in the Civil War in relation to other states (because it was sparsely populated at the time). In all my years digging for Civil War relics I've never seen one dug and only heard about one. Also, I pulled 4 coppers out of the ground this past week (including the V.H.P) one of which is a mystery copper. Its larger than a Large Cent and looks like it is probably an 1800s Copper but I haven't I.D.ed yet. Also got a very nice Bone Handled Civil war era pocket knife and 2 Ringer Bullet.. Here's the pics.

*Maine Staff Coat Button
*1845 Large Cent
*1852 Large Cent
*1876 King Rama the Fifth of Thailand Copper Att Coin
*3 General Service Eagle Buttons
*1 H.N.I But. (Hampton Normal Institute--where they sent the Indians from the Plains to become "Civilized")
*1 Very Large Underwear/pants button
*1 Civil War Era Bone Handled Knife
*3 Ringers, (hard to find) 2 Ring-Burnside and Colt
*Kepi Buckle, Sling Buckle and Harmonica Reeds
*Silver Dime, Nickel, and Sterling Cuff Link

Maine Staff Button (Before Cleaning)
MD Pics 370.jpg

Maine Staff Button (After Cleaning)
MD Pics 398.jpg
MD Pics 381.jpg

New York Muffin Button (Before Cleaning)
MD Pics 458.jpg

New York Muffin Button (After Cleaning...Made into Poker Chip)
MD Pics 466.jpg

H.N.I. Button (Hampton Normal Institute School for Native American Children during the Indian Wars)

MD Pics 390.jpg

Thailand. Rama V (1868-1910). Copper 4 Att (1/16 Baht) issued in 1876
Website to view: http://thaicoin-homevason99.com/rama_thai.html

MD Pics 340.jpg

MD Pics 342.jpg

1845 Braided Hair Large Cent
MD Pics 457.jpg

MD Pics 455.jpg

1852 Braided Hair Large Cent
MD Pics 402.jpg

Group Shot
MD Pics 463.jpg

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, HINDU COPPER?, 1845 Large Cent, 1852, Large Cent..

Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:
Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:
Only one I have ever scene posted on T-net Silver Searcher. :thumbsup:
Then it must be a no brainer :o :headbang: :notworthy:

SS

I got to give it a vote, but I may be a little partial being from Maine and all. ;D :thumbsup:
Ahh yes, perhaps he may give it to you :laughing9:

SS

Josh is a good man, but I doubt I will see that one in my mail box anytime soon. But it might not hurt to PM him my address? :dontknow: :wink:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, HINDU COPPER?, 1845 Large Cent, 1852, Large Cent..

umrgolf2010 said:
mainer said:
Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:
Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:

SS

I got to give it a vote, but I may be a little partial being from Maine and all. ;D :thumbsup:
Ahh yes, perhaps he may give it to you :laughing9:

SS

Josh is a good man, but I doubt I will see that one in my mail box anytime soon. But it might not hurt to PM him my address? :dontknow: :wink:

No, just PM your address to me and I'll just quick-snag it when it he's not looking :laughing9: :laughing9: Nice button and relics Josh :icon_thumright: Def spanked my rear lately in the quality department

Not a problem Jeff! The boy has been on a roll of late, but he deserves a little after those awsome finds you made a few weeks back. :icon_pirat: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
{Sentinel} said:
"Yep.. rare or scarce by almost any standard... and 70,000 troops does not mean there were 70,000 troops wearing Maine uniforms since most wore Union issued equipment.. it's all relative. Negative.. it's right up there with stealing someone else's post with the "..I remember the day I dug 20 of those.." it's all good!! ;-) I prefer to view each post in the context of when they were posted where they were dug and when they were dug, most of use who have been digging 10 or 20 years have those "..I remember when" days.. that is what makes it a great hobby. I'm not trying to start a flame war.. just putting it in context.. not everyone on here can go out and dug a handful of ultra rare relics every time they go out ;D .. expect it seems sentinel is these days!!!"

Thanks MonkeyBoy for backing me up on this. You are a Civil War Relic hunter (and a very good one) just as me and others not from this area don't know how hard it is to find a button like that and glad to see someone else who knows how hard it is to dig one, back me up :icon_thumleft: :wink:

P.S. I've been lucky this past couple months but shoot, I've seen you boys up there in Northern VA. go through 5 or 10 plates in a month at certain times...you know how it is with hot and cold streaks. I've seen you on some pretty BIG HOT Streaks in the past

Thanks!!! ;-) I hear you on the hot and cold.. started off great this year and plummeted fast! Keep posting the great digs!!!

MB

Thanks Monkey Boy! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

Well judging by the replies on this one :o I voting BANNER, it seems tro me that this is a very Rare find, and surely belongs up top :notworthy:

SS
;D ;D :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :wink: Thanks Colin! :wink:

mainer said:
Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:

SS

Thanks Mainer, always have something nice to say bud! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250

great finds :icon_pirat:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet Lord, what are you going to dig next? Having gone through the VA buttons and VA colonial coppers, now you're moving through all the Scarce northern buttons too? For the Maine button, the backmark is Everything--and yours is the right one! :hello2: That is a button that ANY DIGGER should be jealous of, my friend! :icon_thumleft: There is no hope of finding a CW Maine button--it's a find that one just couldn't ever count on. You are more likely to dig a confederate button than that Beauty (And the condition is Flawless!).

In terms of the rarity of digging one, it is Banner material. The Southern buttons have always commanded a higher price tag.

Your Friend,

Buck

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

those buttons are fantastic Josh!! congrats

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is the first Maine cw button I have ever saw . will get a worthy Banner find vote from me , it just squeaks out beating the mini padlock as my fav. :laughing1: , one interesting relic ! LC and NY button poker chip are eye poppers too. Great CW finds .. Rare ,Maine button should get BANNER :icon_pirat: CMDawg

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Congrats on the great finds. The Maine button should be on banner.
Dman

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Sweet Lord, what are you going to dig next? Having gone through the VA buttons and VA colonial coppers, now you're moving through all the Scarce northern buttons too? For the Maine button, the backmark is Everything--and yours is the right one! :hello2: That is a button that ANY DIGGER should be jealous of, my friend! :icon_thumleft: There is no hope of finding a CW Maine button--it's a find that one just couldn't ever count on. You are more likely to dig a confederate button than that Beauty (And the condition is Flawless!).

In terms of the rarity of digging one, it is Banner material. The Southern buttons have always commanded a higher price tag.

Your Friend,

Buck

Buck, Im STILL awe struck when I look at this button. No way, no how did I EVER expect it to be a Maine Staff WITH the correct backmark. And you're right, I'd have thought this was a Confederate button way before I'd have thought MAINE... We've just nailed down a few little spots that have just been producing like crazy....Still cannot believe what has come out and don't know what to expect lately, each time I go. I just try to enjoy it while it lasts because you know that streaks come and they go...remember just a month ago I was on a cold streak.......Quindy brought to my attention that there was one in exact condition as mine on Mid-Tennessee relics for $400...BUT that doesn't matter to me its all about the history for me and besides, I would never sell it ever anyway

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

The button is cool, but I am more intrigued by that old coin. It doesn't seem quite right for Indian and the text looks almost Cyrillic. It's definitely not Arabic.

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing Button! I publish many of the civil war books that you all have on your shelves and that is one RARE button. Have only seen a few of those in my years and this is one of a handful that I know of being dug. Awesome job. By the way...what most of you all don't know is that Monkeboy is one of the foremost colonial to civil war historians there is. You just never know who is out there on the net helping us identify and sharing their knowledge with us. Thanks to all of you who provide your time and expertise to our hobby.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT BUTTONS!!!! And did they clean up well, or not????? Well, for sure.
Battle of Gettysburg was where Maine was quite noteworthy......
Am interested in the coin, too. I have seen one like it, somewhere, but memory is in lag time, behind my eyesight.
Will try to dig it out of my brain.........nice findsssssss. :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the coin is an early Thailand/Siam coin.......can anyone reverse the pics......seems like when you took the pics,
something happened to the images of that coin. Get them turned around, and I think I can i.d. it.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am a neighbour of Maine, but I don't have any civil war sites to go to... :tongue3:

All I can say is... that is one of the prettiest buttons I have ever seen.

Congrats man!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hikeinmts said:
I think the coin is an early Thailand/Siam coin.......can anyone reverse the pics......seems like when you took the pics,
something happened to the images of that coin. Get them turned around, and I think I can i.d. it.

Here's the pics flipped:

However, I've I.D.ed the coin: Its a King Rama V Att issued in 1876.

http://thaicoin-homevason99.com/rama_thai.html

Thailand. Rama V (1868-1910). Copper 4 Att (1/16 Baht) and Att (1/64 Baht) ND issued in 1876. 22.4 g and 5.50 g. KM-18 and 20. Toned original muted red lustre. Almost Uncirculated (2). Estimate $850-1,000.

Attachments

• MD Pics 340ed.jpg
    MD Pics 340ed.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 944
  • MD Pics 342ed2.jpg
    MD Pics 342ed2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 954
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mystery Copper I.D.ed...see above

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, HINDU COPPER?, 1845 Large Cent, UPDATE COIN I.D.ed

plehbah said:
Those pretty state seals are mind blowing.

What is your dirty wheaty to state seal button ratio?

Probably 300 to 1. Jeff's at my house and I just asked him...he gave me the nod in agreeance ;D ;D :wink: We dig a BUNCH of em....just don't post'em

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, 1876 KING RAMA V Coin, 1845 Large Cent, & more

{Sentinel} said:
hikeinmts said:

Here's the pics flipped:

However, I've I.D.ed the coin: Its a King Rama V Att issued in 1876.

http://thaicoin-homevason99.com/rama_thai.html

Thailand. Rama V (1868-1910). Copper 4 Att (1/16 Baht) and Att (1/64 Baht) ND issued in 1876. 22.4 g and 5.50 g. KM-18 and 20. Toned original muted red lustre. Almost Uncirculated (2). Estimate $850-1,000.
Now that is a odd ball coin to find there but when on a roll why not Good find for sure :thumbsup: Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread