Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take em anyway you can get em! :thumbsup: Nice dig.

Daddio53

Apr 5, 2008
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Tesoro Lobo, Tesoro Golden microMax
I had to reply to this. Your title makes me think of an old saying, "Two halves don't always make a whole". In your title, I guess two holes do make a half. Too bad your find has the holes in it, but I think I would be happy to just find something like that out here in Colorado. Our history isn't as old as the East coast states, so we are lucky to find coins that go much further back then maybe 1840 and then that is a real rarity. So finding an 1861 would probably have me fainting. Colorado became a state in 1876, thus the nickname the "Centennial State". So the states back east were already 100 years into history before Colorado even came along. I am really envious of the people who live in the east and in Civil War areas. There were probably some people from the Colorado Territories that got involved in the war, but we weren't even a state until well after the war was over. We do find Civil War era items here, and figure they were things brought by people after the war coming out here to strike it rich with the Pikes Peak or Bust goldrush. That was in 1858-1861 and Colorado became a territory as a result of the rush in July of 1861. But there were stragglers who came along after the war hoping to rekindle the gold strikes. Unfortunately they didn't, but at least they brought out some Civil War relics for us to find. So far that consists of one Confederate 50 Cal. slug and a Union button my son found.

stefpryce

Feb 22, 2010
Maine
Detector(s) used
f-70
Nice find! And I'm not expert but from where the hole in the second picture... Is it possible it's misaligned with obverse?
all in all Super cool tho. I'd take it!
SP

OP
OP
Digginman

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
stefpryce said:
Nice find! And I'm not expert but from where the hole in the second picture... Is it possible it's misaligned with obverse?
all in all Super cool tho. I'd take it!
SP

I just looked at it for the 50th time, but I think that's just an illusion. I'll take it to work and measure it tomorrow though.

DM

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is 2 sweet even with the holes. My Aunt who is around 85 told me
coins were holed so they could be worn for medical reasons.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY seated half is a SWEET find! My last Seated (one of two in close to 20 years) was cut. (Looked more like a 35 cent piece :D )

Excellent find.

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread