A Lucky Day?(YES) Short Hunt produces a Very Rare Large Cent and a NJ copper

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temperature finally dropped to a very comfortable range for hunting in the woods, so I went out this morning with at least the goal of getting the ole swingin arms back into shape after no detecting for awhile. If I found anything good it would be considered a bonus.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of my 2 hours on a small site that a few years ago produced only a few late 1700s buttons and a thimble or two.

The first find was the button which upon cleaning appears to be a acorn in the center, so rather nice to get one with some design.
AcornGiltbutton.jpg
The second find was a somewhat iffy coin reading, very deep and I was hoping it was a coin and not a large button or other copper item. To my delight a round copper piece appears. This coin after cleaning was identified as a 1786 NJ copper! The variety is a 14-J (common type) Maris 15-L (Common variety)......
1786NJ 14J.jpg
The third find was a reading that was bouncing from a good copper to a iron type reading, but since it was for sure an solid reading I dug and was rewarded with a hunk of rusty something that at once reminded me possibly of being part of a musket. Need help on this one for a possible ID.
MusketPartmaybe.jpg

The fourth find was another iffy reading and it appears after cleaning just to be a round lead disc that someone drilled a hole in, for awhile I thought it might be a counterfeit coin, but I see no details indicating so.
lead disc.jpg
The fifth find was just a brass round ring shaped type relic, no idea, nothing of significance that is for sure. It is in the group shot at the end of this post.
But, the 6th target was the best find of the day and one of my top finds ever for rarity. I knew it was a large cent by the size and thickness and was fairly certain it was a Draped Bust. Upon cleaning, I saw that it had nice details and I would without too much problem be able to attribute the variety. I got out Breen's book on early year large cents and looking at my coin I noticed the cud on the edge of the reverse so I started by looking for one that matched. Sure enough I found one rather quickly, and believe me, there are many varieties of 1797 so I was pleasantly surprised I found my match within minutes.

Well, then I looked at the rarity for this one, and the Sheldon NC-2 for 1797 is a RARITY 6! That is Very Rare and that made me want to get another opinion before I posted here.. I did so and it has been confirmed that it is indeed the NC-2, the cud is the giveaway for IDing it and I have been told only about 22 of this variety are known. Since Large Cent collectors are a large group, that is good news for me. :wink:
I wish it did not have the corrosion damage, but the coin is what the coin is, I did my best to conserve the coin and it is a welcomed addition to my collection.
1797 NC2.jpg
1julyfinds.jpg
So, my short hunt, in July (a July hunt is a rare event for me) made my month for sure. I still prefer the 1793 I got earlier this year for the thrill of the find, but it sure is nice finding another rare Large Cent variety.

Don

Upvote 0

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wow...now there's a banner worthy item! Green with envy for those large cents. Wanting one of any of the colonial styles but doubt they will come my way where I am.
I hope the other chunk of iron is what you think it is. The coins are always good but the history/relic is that much cooler!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this means your back! :headbang:

Seems like this year is going to be one of your best ever if things keep popping out like that! :thumbsup:

I think the holed lead served a purpose because I have found them before, and seen some posted. I also agree on the accorn, and if the iron is a musket hammer it sure is thick with rust!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ju$t $een one of the$e for $ale. :o

Attachments

• Banner_Konkey.jpg
    Banner_Konkey.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,752

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Those finds in a two hour hunt would make anyones day :headbang: The Draped Bust is truly awsome and how many NJ coppers does this make for you?

1 of 22 known on the LC, You have a BANNER vote from me too :notworthy:

VPR

Sgtrock

Sep 5, 2008
Tacoma Washington
:icon_thumleft:

B B B B B BANNNER FIND.

Well done. I think the state of the 1797 is very nice and having the CUD on the coin probably helped allot. A very unique find there I must say. Thank you for sharing and keep on looking in the area.

Be Well

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
very sweet draped bust, Don.
how many sheldon varieties have you unearthed now, and how many left to go?
you've got my BANNER vote!

dwayne

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll vote Banner on an R-6 Largie. :icon_thumleft: I thought you'd spent all your good karma digging TWO Capped Bust Halves this year! Great to see both of those excellent coins--the LC could've easily been overlooked in favor of the NJ being the star find of the hunt, so Bravo for looking through the 1797's for an ID on the variety. That button is a nice addition to the collection as well. I have not seen a type decorated like that before.

Cheers,

Buckles

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Large Cent! :headbang: Gonna have to hit the Banner button! :thumbsup: :notworthy:

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got my banner vote, as well! The lead thing with a hole is a 19th century nail seal, I believe. I dig them a lot and got them ID'd by a friend at the VA Historical Society.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kyphote said:
You've got my banner vote, as well! The lead thing with a hole is a 19th century nail seal, I believe. I dig them a lot and got them ID'd by a friend at the VA Historical Society.

Hmmmn on the nail seal, it is a round hole, so I would lean heavily against it being a nail seal.

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Those finds in a two hour hunt would make anyones day :headbang: The Draped Bust is truly awsome and how many NJ coppers does this make for you?

1 of 22 known on the LC, You have a BANNER vote from me too :notworthy:

VPR

My 15th New Jersey copper, wish it were more.

Don

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
kyphote said:

Hmmmn on the nail seal, it is a round hole, so I would lean heavily against it being a nail seal.

Don
Why does a round hole rule out a nail seal? The seal hasn't been used and the hole simply acts as a primer. At least that's how it was explained to me.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many square nails would go through a round hole that small and not make the hole squarish. Also, no nails found at all at this site, not even sure a building was ever there, maybe just a work campsite for the nearby iron stone mining.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread