Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A Lucky Day?(YES) Short Hunt produces a Very Rare Large Cent and a NJ copper

The temperature finally dropped to a very comfortable range for hunting in the woods, so I went out this morning with at least the goal of getting the ole swingin arms back into shape after no detecting for awhile. If I found anything good it would be considered a bonus.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of my 2 hours on a small site that a few years ago produced only a few late 1700s buttons and a thimble or two.

The first find was the button which upon cleaning appears to be a acorn in the center, so rather nice to get one with some design.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AcornGiltbutton.jpg 
Views:	3239 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	424664
    The second find was a somewhat iffy coin reading, very deep and I was hoping it was a coin and not a large button or other copper item. To my delight a round copper piece appears. This coin after cleaning was identified as a 1786 NJ copper! The variety is a 14-J (common type) Maris 15-L (Common variety)......

Name:	1786NJ 14J.jpg 
Views:	3054 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	424665
    The third find was a reading that was bouncing from a good copper to a iron type reading, but since it was for sure an solid reading I dug and was rewarded with a hunk of rusty something that at once reminded me possibly of being part of a musket. Need help on this one for a possible ID.

Name:	MusketPartmaybe.jpg 
Views:	2925 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	424669

The fourth find was another iffy reading and it appears after cleaning just to be a round lead disc that someone drilled a hole in, for awhile I thought it might be a counterfeit coin, but I see no details indicating so.
    Name:  lead disc.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  69.2 KB
    The fifth find was just a brass round ring shaped type relic, no idea, nothing of significance that is for sure. It is in the group shot at the end of this post.
    But, the 6th target was the best find of the day and one of my top finds ever for rarity. I knew it was a large cent by the size and thickness and was fairly certain it was a Draped Bust. Upon cleaning, I saw that it had nice details and I would without too much problem be able to attribute the variety. I got out Breen's book on early year large cents and looking at my coin I noticed the cud on the edge of the reverse so I started by looking for one that matched. Sure enough I found one rather quickly, and believe me, there are many varieties of 1797 so I was pleasantly surprised I found my match within minutes.

Well, then I looked at the rarity for this one, and the Sheldon NC-2 for 1797 is a RARITY 6! That is Very Rare and that made me want to get another opinion before I posted here.. I did so and it has been confirmed that it is indeed the NC-2, the cud is the giveaway for IDing it and I have been told only about 22 of this variety are known. Since Large Cent collectors are a large group, that is good news for me.
    I wish it did not have the corrosion damage, but the coin is what the coin is, I did my best to conserve the coin and it is a welcomed addition to my collection.

Name:	1797 NC2.jpg 
Views:	2988 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	424667

Name:	1julyfinds.jpg 
Views:	2877 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	424668
    So, my short hunt, in July (a July hunt is a rare event for me) made my month for sure. I still prefer the 1793 I got earlier this year for the thrill of the find, but it sure is nice finding another rare Large Cent variety.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: A Lucky Day?(YES) Short Hunt produces a Very Rare Large Cent and a NJ copper

Very nice coin and your other finds are just as impressive, congrats!

HH Charlie

us
    May 2010
    Claremore OK
    White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
    159 times

Re: A Lucky Day?(YES) Short Hunt produces a Very Rare Large Cent and a NJ copper

Anything that rare, I would have to say BANNER...
    God Bless...

DMN
    us
    Apr 2009
    69 times

Wow...now there's a banner worthy item! Green with envy for those large cents. Wanting one of any of the colonial styles but doubt they will come my way where I am.
    I hope the other chunk of iron is what you think it is. The coins are always good but the history/relic is that much cooler!

I guess this means your back!

Seems like this year is going to be one of your best ever if things keep popping out like that!

I think the holed lead served a purpose because I have found them before, and seen some posted. I also agree on the accorn, and if the iron is a musket hammer it sure is thick with rust!

us
    May 2010
    newport vermont
    whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
    9 times

most excellent finds congrats
    vermont hillbilly

Ju$t $een one of the$e for $ale.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banner_Konkey.jpg 
Views:	2697 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	424696  

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    128 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

You continue to fascinate me Don with your finds.

us
    Aug 2007
    Topsham, Vermont
    Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
    382 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Those finds in a two hour hunt would make anyones day The Draped Bust is truly awsome and how many NJ coppers does this make for you?

1 of 22 known on the LC, You have a BANNER vote from me too

VPR

us
    Sep 2008
    Tacoma Washington

B B B B B BANNNER FIND.

Well done. I think the state of the 1797 is very nice and having the CUD on the coin probably helped allot. A very unique find there I must say. Thank you for sharing and keep on looking in the area.

Be Well
    Christian K Thomas

"The borders of our nation are defined by the graves of our fallen soldiers buried on foreign soil"  Gen G.S. Patton

us
    Dec 2004
    SOUTH JERSEY
    explorer/ wot coil
    22 times
    Banner Finds (1)

U are the man Don I think I need to start hunting more woods. Great finds

Mar 2008
    upstate ny
    se pro
    12 times
    dirty pennies
    Banner Finds (1)

very sweet draped bust, Don.
    how many sheldon varieties have you unearthed now, and how many left to go?
    you've got my BANNER vote!

dwayne
    dirty pennies...

us
    Apr 2010
    17 times

Great hunt, awesome coppers cool button too!

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver µMax
    6167 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I'll vote Banner on an R-6 Largie. I thought you'd spent all your good karma digging TWO Capped Bust Halves this year! Great to see both of those excellent coins--the LC could've easily been overlooked in favor of the NJ being the star find of the hunt, so Bravo for looking through the 1797's for an ID on the variety. That button is a nice addition to the collection as well. I have not seen a type decorated like that before.

Cheers,

Buckles
    2019 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Solid Gold Monogrammed Thimble, c. 1840-50
    Civil War ID Disc
    1826 2 Reales
    Louisiana Pelican Civil War Button
    Eagle Cuff Button
    Eagle "I" Coat Button
    Colonial silver shoe buckle piece
    Boxlock Pistol hammer plate
    1865 2 Cent Piece
    1788, 1819 and one dateless Half Reale
    1848-O and 1854 Half Dimes
    1842-O, 1858, 1876-S and 1888 Seated Dimes
    1898 Hong Kong Dime Silver Coin (Queen Victoria)
    1905-O Barber Dime
    1942 and 1944-D Washington Quarters
    2 Silver "War Nickels"
    Silver "Indian Head" badge
    Maynard Carbine casings (Civil War)
    Louisiana Knights Templar Badge
    Shield Nickels
    V Nackles, Beefalo knuckles and Gaw Gag

OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

On extended Holiday.

Dec 2008
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Large Cent! Gonna have to hit the Banner button!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links