Finally Found My 1st Chain Cent I Think!! 1793 Flowing Hair!!!!!!

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hunting a local school grounds this morning that used to be part of a 200 year old farm. The orginal farm of this town. Dug what I believe is a chain cent but need some opions from some experts. Weighted the coin it weights 11.5 grams and is a little bit bigger then a quarter with twice the thickness. You can clearly see the chain on the back with one cent inside it. On the front you can see the lady facing the right with her pointy hair. Was told some counterfeits were made but am not a expert on these. Missing alot of details but to be in the ground for so long I expect that. If it is truely a chain cent then this would be my best find so far in my short detecting career. Opions are appciated.

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

001.JPG

Upvote 0

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on such a great copper :notworthy: just awesome!!

I would never touch olive oil again....like the others said, remove it and dab dry and hopefully not too much soaked in....wonder what hot peroxide do for a short period on the extra olive oil...Don or IP would know more....each case is different and depends how much oil soaked in and what the coin looks like in person...

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Finally Found My 1st Chain Cent I Think!! 1793 Flowing Hair maybe.

Iron Patch said:
lonelyduckhunter said:
I have it sitting in olive oil atm should I remove it.

Yes, take it out! The patina is what is giving the detail and olive oil will remove it leaving the coin brown or black (with less detail). The chain side is already showing parina loss and if you continue to remove it, it will look very bad in the end... probably half green, half brown. That coin probably shouldn't have seen any liquid period, but I have no idea what it looked like when dug. It's a killer find, and personally I would not send it away for any reason.

PS... If you leave it exposed over time evn the spots might start to slowly green up again. I have some coppers which I oiled and they never got back to the nice color they were to start, but they did get some color back.
I agree with IP take it out of the olive oil an what ever you do DO NOT USE HOT PEROXICDE on this coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a copper large cent that was in the condition yours is in an I tried to clean it a very lil with hot peroxicde an it turned into a slug... took me 3 years to get a date off of it finally got the date a few days ago it's a 1798. So best advise anyone can give is Let it alone DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT!! unless you know exactly what your doing!!!!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see something so rare on Independance day :occasion15:
Congratulations.
tnmtns

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the find and the Banner. :icon_thumright:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing stuff brother... :icon_sunny:

:icon_farao: Awesome find... odds of someone finding that have to be astronomical with only 30 K minted :)

Congrats :notworthy:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oops i forgot to add... BANNER! :headbang:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet Chain cent! :hello2: I agree, don't use peroxide. It turns the coppers black. That will take the detail off of your coin.

Kirk

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments and banner votes :icon_thumright: I'm going to send it in toe NCS for conservation just to have the any active contaminates stopped then certified and encapsuled. Pretty sure its the AMERI S-1 Variety the chain link is directly over the "N" in one. Going to donate a redbook to the school with my story in it maybe it can motivate a future detectorist or coin collector. Will post photos once it comes back from NCS. Strictly told them to leave the patina just stop any active contaminates that might be on the coin. A 4th of July to remember thats for sure. Now off to find that gold coin on my goal list.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonelyduckhunter said:
Thanks for the comments and banner votes :icon_thumright: I'm going to send it in toe NCS for conservation just to have the any active contaminates stopped then certified and encapsuled. Pretty sure its the AMERI S-1 Variety the chain link is directly over the "N" in one. Going to donate a redbook to the school with my story in it maybe it can motivate a future detectorist or coin collector. Will post photos once it comes back from NCS. Strictly told them to leave the patina just stop any active contaminates that might be on the coin. A 4th of July to remember thats for sure. Now off to find that gold coin on my goal list.

That coin in it's current state will out last all of us and if it does change it will be for the better. But if you feel better sending it, go for it. I personally would not let it leave the house.

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
lonelyduckhunter said:

That coin in it's current state will out last all of us and if it does change it will be for the better. But if you feel better sending it, go for it. I personally would not let it leave the house.

I'm mainly worrieding about any contaminates I put on it like the olive oil I got off as much as humanly possible after you guys told me to. Am worried about the enviromental effects now that I removed it from it safe place "the ground". The 1877 IHP I found last September got way worse after I had it slabbed by Anacs it started corroding hard. Sent it to NCS for conservation was plesantly suprised with the results. I want it certified and encapsuled with the variety as well. It hasn't gone out yet keep debating this in my head over and over again. Either way going to be hard to top this find. Going to be fun trying thu. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonelyduckhunter said:
Iron Patch said:
lonelyduckhunter said:

I'm mainly worrieding about any contaminates I put on it like the olive oil I got off as much as humanly possible after you guys told me to. Am worried about the enviromental effects now that I removed it from it safe place "the ground". The 1877 IHP I found last September got way worse after I had it slabbed by Anacs it started corroding hard. Sent it to NCS for conservation was plesantly suprised with the results. I want it certified and encapsuled with the variety as well. It hasn't gone out yet keep debating this in my head over and over again. Either way going to be hard to top this find. Going to be fun trying thu. ;D

Maybe your soil is different than ours, but I have a lot of coppers like that and not one has ever changed (even slightly) in a negative way. I'm very curious what they actually do... will they tell you?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I'd definitely consider sending it to NGC (NCS) because it will at least give it a certified number. In the remote event someone takes it, you can at least give local coin shops the cert. number to look for.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slab that baby asap and WTG :notworthy:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Holy Grail of US Large Cents!

The only way you will top that is to find one in better condition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread