More luck today: 5 Wheats and a 1944 British half penny in same area

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hi guys,

Yet more luck in the same area of the park where I found the silver pocket spill!

This time it started off when I found a Wheat on a path nearby (Wheats are not that common in Canada so I was very happy) My happiness grew when I found another, then another, then another until I had 5 of them! They were all likely lost by the same person(s) in that area at that time.

Continuing to search the general area, I got another penny signal and started to dig and what did I pull out but a 1944 British half penny (George VI). This is the second old British penny I've found in this park. The first was an 1889 penny.

I hope I didn't make a critical error: I tried to clean the half penny with white vinegar, and it's turned quite a rusty orange color! Am I hooped?? Is there something I can do to fix this up? The coin is made of bronze. The value isn't that high according to my research, but I certainly hope it isn't going to be stuck this color due to me making a stupid mistake. It was a lot darker in color when it came out of the ground, and the photos I've seen online appear to show it more like a typical dark copper penny color. Any help is very appreciated!

The Wheat pennies are 2x41, 2x52 and 1x 53. All of these were located within 6 feet on the stretch of path, and were very shallow (3 inches or so). Needless to say, I'll be back there to continue the search.

Attachments

• half penny.jpg
    half penny.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Group shot.jpg
    Group shot.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks Tennessee ! I'm super happy to find American coins. I've found a 1918 Mercury dime in that park, and I hope to find more American coins as I go.

But finding 5 wheats with the British coin was a very cool experience! I'm not 100% sure it was lost by the same person or persons in the area at that time, but it sure looks like it based on the distance and the dates of the coins.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or ''Ship Hap'penny'' as we say :wink: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions