Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was still to hot to go MD my doc told wait a few weeks more i just did a stress test at the VA Med Center 25 minutes on that darn tread mill :tongue3:
well of course my BP was high :laughing9:
anyway i had to go under my house to fix a broken vent to keep critters out its all sand and very dusty and old !! i got my port light and tools and while under there i eyeballed these, a old compass a ceramic little bowl no marks on it and a 1937 WP and a marble neat marble 4 colors .The compass was covered in dirt but it has a very tight seal plus it was out of the elements it stayed dry ,not bad for a compass 69 years old and it still works fine i just had to fiddle with the button to get it open i saw a few on E-Bay going for between 75.00 and 200.00 but ill keep it next time i get lost in the woods :thumbsup: . HH Dd60

WWII Wittnauer U.S. Air Force compass
Manufactured by Longines Wittnauer for the U.S. Air Force in 1941. U.S. stamped
nickel case has one minor, but noticeable indentation on the cover. (Please see photo)
The dial is signed: Wittnauer. Flat blue needle. 1.8" diameter. Excellent hinge and
release mechanism. Compass points strong to North.

Attachments

• 100_1136.jpg
    100_1136.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 100_1137.jpg
    100_1137.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 854
  • 100_1138.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,203
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bet a kid was playing with his dads WW2 air force compass under the house -- with his penny and marble and dish --mom called him in for dinner and they were "forgotten" behind

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
bet a kid was playing with his dads WW2 air force compass under the house -- with his penny and marble and dish --mom called him in for dinner and they were "forgotten" behind
I bet that is exactly what happened long before i moved here the lady owner who was raised here had a pile of kids at least the kid closed it before he forgot it that face is thin glass not plastic Good analysis Ivan :thumbsup: Dd60

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fine Compass. :icon_thumleft: :wink: I wish I'd have found it. Keep it and put it in your pack. I still rely on a compass when I'm deep in the woods hunting. Don't need GPS...Even though I have one my father-in-law gave me.....Never use it ;D :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
That's a fine Compass. :icon_thumleft: :wink: I wish I'd have found it. Keep it and put it in your pack. I still rely on a compass when I'm deep in the woods hunting. Don't need GPS...Even though I have one my father-in-law gave me.....Never use it ;D :icon_thumleft: :wink:
Hopefully the rains come soon so i can get lost in the Colonial woods for 5 hours and use that compass :laughing7: ! Right now all the woods are a fire hazard bone dry pine needles and old fallin growth i never seen it so dry out here ever. Fall is near :thumbsup: Dd60

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o eyes are still the best discriminator! That compass is real nice! :hello2:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Sweet! Glad to see you are still active in the forums!
Thanks i just waiting for the drought to end the ground is like a rock ,in a few weeks ill be hitting the big beaches with my Sov GT after labor day Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread