Just plowed potato fields a lot of iron and a few very old coppers 1745 farthing

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all today i made it out perfect weather after 3 days of rain the local,s are doing a early potato dig i asked if could MD the whole 20 acres John said sure and i could keep all the taters i could carry :laughing7: i did about a 2 hour hunt 4 rows there was a lot of iron :o what surprised me was no junk not one pull tab or slaw just iron lead and a few coppers iam not sure what the larger copper is the smaller on has a few letters and looks like a sun in the middle with rays ?? they are pretty burned up but that's the way they come from the field out here i can see 1745 ? on the large copper with a lope before i cleaned it . Its a start ill be back i know there is some good finds there . I took a few photos of the field and i did get 3 nice size potatoes yellow ones mmmm .HH Dd60

Attachments

• 100_1156.jpg
    100_1156.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 679
  • 100_1160.jpg
    100_1160.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 668
  • 100_1154.jpg
    100_1154.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 682
  • 100_1161.jpg
    100_1161.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 671
  • 100_1164.jpg
    100_1164.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 659
  • 100_1182.jpg
    100_1182.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 669
  • 100_1176.jpg
    100_1176.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 679
  • 100_1185.jpg
    100_1185.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 589
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just plowed potato fields a lot of iron and a few very old coppers 1745 fart

jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
I think what you have is a cast counterfeit halfpenny. :thumbsup:
the second one? i've id'd the first one

And you ID'ed it as what? ;D
1750 farthing, he check the dimensions, matched the usuall fathing dimensions of the time

But.... what you're missing is that this style of Britainnia was ONLY used on the halfpenny. So if it is close to a farthing in size, it's just a very small - underweight cast counterfeit halfpenny.
wrongo' take a look :read2: http://bills-stuff.net/GB/1727_p1.html

Wrongo back at ya. :laughing7: It's not me that has to look, I don't have to compare .... I just have to see a picture to know. Now you compare and you will see it's the halfpenny Britainnia.
comparison... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,347416.msg2488640.html#msg2488640

Ok, here's a question for you....

Both the coin in question and the farthing you posted were both struck pretty much on center. So how do you account for so much space above her head on the farthing? It's not like that on the other coin. :-X

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Re: Just plowed potato fields a lot of iron and a few very old coppers 1745 fart

Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:

1750 farthing, he check the dimensions, matched the usuall fathing dimensions of the time

But.... what you're missing is that this style of Britainnia was ONLY used on the halfpenny. So if it is close to a farthing in size, it's just a very small - underweight cast counterfeit halfpenny.

Wrongo back at ya. :laughing7: It's not me that has to look, I don't have to compare .... I just have to see a picture to know. Now you compare and you will see it's the halfpenny Britainnia.
comparison... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,347416.msg2488640.html#msg2488640

Both the coin in question and the farthing you posted were both struck pretty much on center. So how do you account for so much space above her head on the farthing? It's not like that on the other coin. :-X
1st, its the 1700's, i mean come on! and could also be from wear on the coin

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:

From wear? Didn't you say a little earlier it was farthing size? :wink:

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:

umm ya, cuz it is...?

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:

And did't u just say alittle earlier the reason it was counterfite was because of the design?

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
and just to show exactly what i see...
has the same, almost exact hair line of the farthing
and if its a counterfite, so be it, its a counterfite farthing

Attachments

• 050-1754r.jpg
    050-1754r.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 487

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
I also don't think that it is mear "coincidence" that it is the exact diameter as a farthing should be
and the exact hairline of a farthing

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pheew that was intense! Cool finds btw. Can't wait to see what you will find next. GL and HH :hello:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Iron Patch said:

IP which coin is the cast counterfeit ? not the first one right

The first one.... read my reply to the grasshoppa. ;D
IP Just give up JD is hell bent on it being a farthing... Nothing you say will convince him other wise..Believe me I spent almost a 1/2 or more hour tryin to tell him it was a counterfeit Halfpenny... I also told him your probly the 2nd most knowledgeable person on counterfeits right behind Don on the forum... an on a side note soon as I seen it I too thought it was a counterfeit... then again I guess we're both wrong...lol

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remeasured the coin from side to side its 23mm but from top to bottom it,s a whole 1/16 " smaller in diameter it,s not very round , most likely it is a period counterfeit and if it is a farthing its not a very good one :laughing7: Dd60

Attachments

• 100_1186.jpg
    100_1186.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 403
OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
krazyhorses11 said:
are they russits
No russets out here they called eastern restaurant potatoes some get as big as 2 lbs and they yellow inside like a Yukon they make the best mashed each year i get a 50lb bag in the Fall for free :thumbsup:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no coin expert at all...but looking at your first pics I had NO clue what the second coin was....but your last pic interestingly enough shows more detail on the second coin (the one not in the calipers)...appears as though it's a Hibernia. Can make out the Irish harp quite clearly.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonialDude said:
I am no coin expert at all...but looking at your first pics I had NO clue what the second coin was....but your last pic interestingly enough shows more detail on the second coin (the one not in the calipers)...appears as though it's a Hibernia. Can make out the Irish harp quite clearly.
I can see that also the coin is really thin the other side is blank for the exception of a few letters the coppers out here come out of the ground better in wooded areas not the fields that have been worked for 100,s of years this morning iam doing a few more rows before work maybe ill find a good silver thanks for the ID :thumbsup: . Dd60

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 337

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
ColonialDude said:
you are the winner as I too can see it now

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60 said:
I remeasured the coin from side to side its 23mm but from top to bottom it,s a whole 1/16 " smaller in diameter it,s not very round , most likely it is a period counterfeit and if it is a farthing its not a very good one :laughing7: Dd60

There is ZERO chance it was struck from Farthing dies, not to say it didn't pass as a Farthing do to it's very small size. That style of Britainnia is CLEARLY 100% without any doubt the style used on the halfpenny, not to mention look at the spacing, it's totally wrong for a Farthing. I knew it 2 seconds after seeing your third picture... and there's a difference between an educated guess and guessing.

I have a cast countefeit Irish Hibernia Halfpenny that I bet is about the same size, it's definitely much smaller than the regal. That one can't be argued because after George II there wasn't a Farthing issued until 1806 and mine is George III 1770s/80s.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:

There is ZERO chance it was struck from Farthing dies, not to say it didn't pass as a Farthing do to it's very small size. That style of Britainnia is CLEARLY 100% without any doubt the style used on the halfpenny, not to mention look at the spacing, it's totally wrong for a Farthing. I knew it 2 seconds after seeing your third picture... and there's a difference between an educated guess and guessing.

I have a cast countefeit Irish Hibernia Halfpenny that I bet is about the same size, it's definitely much smaller than the regal. That one can't be argued because after George II there wasn't a Farthing issued until 1806 and mine is George III 1770s/80s.
Still not sure this will convince JD.. I had a hunch it was a counterfeit a few seconds after seeing the pics too IP.. You an Don have taught me well...lol

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

creeper71 said:
Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:

Still not sure this will convince JD.. I had a hunch it was a counterfeit a few seconds after seeing the pics too IP.. You an Don have taught me well...lol
I agree to disagree, lol, just based off of the design, looks like a farthing, but its ok :read2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: detecting & lunch in with the deal :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions