A miners tag and who knows what. Help!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
A miner's tag and who knows what. Help!

After morning baseball practice and afternoon leaf raking, I headed down to an old home site down the street from my mother's house. Previous finds here include a 1902 Indian head penny and a V nickel whose date escapes me now. We're looking for a privy here, but there is still a lot of brush and we need some killer freeze to push it back. I think I found a privy where one should be, and I'll dig it one of these days, but I took the detector for a little workout while I was there. I found this #40 miner's tag and a little scalloped disk with some wording on it. It appears to have a patent date and some other information, but I have no idea what it might be. It's smaller than a dime. Hopefully, the picture will turn out big enough to bring the letters out; even with a magnifying glass, my old eyes can't decipher it all!

Attachments

• alberts 005 (Small).jpg
    alberts 005 (Small).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 418
  • alberts 006 (Small).jpg
    alberts 006 (Small).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A miner's tag and who knows what. Help!

halfdime said:
After morning baseball practice and afternoon leaf raking, I headed down to an old home site down the street from my mother's house. Previous finds here include a 1902 Indian head penny and a V nickel whose date escapes me now. We're looking for a privy here, but there is still a lot of brush and we need some killer freeze to push it back. I think I found a privy where one should be, and I'll dig it one of these days, but I took the detector for a little workout while I was there. I found this #40 miner's tag and a little scalloped disk with some wording on it. It appears to have a patent date and some other information, but I have no idea what it might be. It's smaller than a dime. Hopefully, the picture will turn out big enough to bring the letters out; even with a magnifying glass, my old eyes can't decipher it all!

I'm pretty sure that is a thumb wheel piece from a lantern. They have patent dates on them a lot of times.
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Wow, MM, now that you say that, it makes sense! I think the patent date is April 30, 83, and has M? CO, NY on it. The "keyed" design would allow it to grip a rod and turn it. Thanks!

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

nice finds!!! a miners tag is somthing i want to find ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

halfdime said:
Wow, MM, now that you say that, it makes sense! I think the patent date is April 30, 83, and has M? CO, NY on it. The "keyed" design would allow it to grip a rod and turn it. Thanks!

No problem HD. :icon_thumleft: The first time I dug one I thought it was a button. ;D I still think they are neat to find because they have the dates on them, and look great in display.
I'm still waiting on a miners tag though. :(
-MM-

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
halfdime said:

I'm pretty sure that is a thumb wheel piece from a lantern. They have patent dates on them a lot of times.
Congrats,
MM

The M.B. Co. N.Y. stands for The Manhattan Brass Company of New York City , they were founded in 1865. They were manufacturers of brass student oil lamps and oil lamp burners. Here are a couple of examples of what they made . . .

Attachments

• student lamp.jpg
    student lamp.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 283
  • M.B. Co. N.Y..jpg
    M.B. Co. N.Y..jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 285
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Thanks, Antiquarian!

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010

nice is that what those are miners tags i found a few i will have to find in my collection of hole matter good luck and keep digging krazyhorses

Chuck Acorn

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2010

Hi guys ! I'm new here and I'm from southern Indiana County Pa.

I have found several of those miners tags. I've been told they were kept on two peg boards . One marked IN and one marked OUT .. When a miner went in to the mines he moved his tag to the IN board.. When he came back out he moved his tag back to the OUT board..

The tags were also put on mine cars so when the loaded car came out of the mines they could indentify who loaded the car. The coal would be weighed and the miner would get payed by tonage.

Mine tags are still being used in some mines .....

:thumbsup: Great Finds... Congrats to you !

Chuck

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:hello: Say,those are pretty nice. :thumbsup:

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Find on the miner's tag! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread