Last Few Outings: Silver pocket watch, Sales Tax Tokens, Letter Opener..

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been so busy at work that I haven't had hardly any time to go out hunting. I did manage to scrape a few quick "in and out" forays together and got some various items.

The best one was the silver pocket watch. It has some scratches in the glass face but inside was very clean. The coolest part was when I saw inside that it was labeled with ".800" - as this means it's coin silver I think. Silver's always good on my book. When I hold the winding dial, it TICKS! Something must be kind of off inside as I can't get it to run without my holding the dial but it does work well when I do. The inside case was inscribed with "Cylindre 10 Rubis" and had both German and Swiss stamps. The mechanism is labeled "Swiss Made". I'm not sure of how old it is but some of the other items I got out of that area were from the late 1800's.

Other finds: Silver earrings, Advertising letter opener, Axe head, Old Yale lock, Mississippi sales tax token, 1890 Indian Cent, couple wheats: 1934, 1936, and on and on. Lots of misc stuff....

I don't know much about old tools but I may work on getting the axe head cleaned up. It'll give me something to do while I go through detecting withdrawl this winter. ARRRGGHH! I don't even want to think about it!

Enough of my banter. I have to go do some laundry before I head to sleep. Good luck everyone!!

(Darn! I forgot to upload some of the photos to my computer - I'll post them as a follow up post to this one. My apologies to all.)

-Chris

Attachments

• antique pocket watch.jpg
    antique pocket watch.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 983
  • antique pocket watch cu 1.jpg
    antique pocket watch cu 1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 913
  • antique pocket watch cu 2.jpg
    antique pocket watch cu 2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 914
  • 1890 Indian Cent - A.jpg
    1890 Indian Cent - A.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 877
  • antique pocket watch inside 4.jpg
    antique pocket watch inside 4.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,152
  • antique pocket watch inside 2.jpg
    antique pocket watch inside 2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 900
  • 1930s wheats.jpg
    1930s wheats.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 871
  • silver sajen earring.jpg
    silver sajen earring.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 838
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow that watch is very nice. Everyone I've found has been in pieces and packed with dirt.

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - I know what you mean. The first one I found was smashed and the second one was better, but rusted (although the insides were much better and it had it's plastic face plate intact.) This one was in very good shape. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get it running again maybe.

As promised, here are the rest of my misc photos that I stupidly forgot to upload:

Attachments

• Gallivan Token.jpg
    Gallivan Token.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 892
  • Gallivan Token.jpg
    Gallivan Token.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 839
  • blazer button tax token and russwin key.jpg
    blazer button tax token and russwin key.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 1,293
  • axe head.jpg
    axe head.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 815
  • KUHLES & STOCK token.jpg
    KUHLES & STOCK token.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 780
  • yale junior lock.jpg
    yale junior lock.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 785
  • advertising letter opener detail.jpg
    advertising letter opener detail.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 794
  • old die cast toy car.jpg
    old die cast toy car.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 794
  • group 1.jpg
    group 1.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 789

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pocket watch and other finds ! Better than the watch I dug up last week :o :thumbsup: d aWg

Attachments

• 100_3248.JPG
    100_3248.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 781

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME watch!!!! MR TUFF

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeeet finds!!!!!!! :icon_pirat:

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome finds and VERY clear pictures, that watch is beautiful....wtg and keep posting those finds! :icon_thumright:

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Wow man those are some awesome finds ! ! 8)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a pocket watch come out that clean! Especially comparing the two I've found. There must be a name somewhere, and is probably worth looking into because it's one of the very few that can probably be completely restored.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black , Your watch is a wonderful find in that condition, I think a date of 1890--1910 is about
right . the 800 designation is for the silver purity - typically coin silver is 900 - it is not uncommon
to see 800 on silver from Russia and some Scandinavian countries - Although it was apparently
made in Switzerland , it may very well have been hallmarked and marketed elsewhere . Great
Find ! Argentium.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Black,

Fantastic pocket watch! You ought to be able to date that one conclusively from the serial number on the movement. If found one this spring, and its condition is almost as nice as yours. Wish mine had a silver case.

MP

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the comments and information!

I was not able to find any clues online so far on the company that made this watch. The number on the outside case is the same as the one on the inside watch case (the double case was one of the reasons the mechanism was better protected from the elements I believe - that and it was buried in some rotted cloth/rug when I dug it up).

The watch mechanism does say "Swiss Made" but I haven't lucked into any info on the actual maker yet. I would love to get this running again but when I looked up the "Cylinder" type pocket watch I did find out it would be very difficult or expensive to have repaired. Just wish I could figure out how to do it myself because this does start ticking if I hold the winder manually, as though winding it (it's wound as far as it can go, and I just hold it until the small latch lets up just a bit on the gear) - but it stops when I let go. When I heard the ticking sound it was one of the most wonderful sounds I have ever heard. Like hearing a voice from 100 years ago.

Thanks again for the insights to this watch! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread