My first IH was as good as my first Nugget

M

Mag99004

I've only been coinshooting for about 2 1/2 months now, I'm a transplanted nuggetshooter since my wife and I are in the Portland, OR area for a few months. I know some nuggetshooter's who consider coinshooting the simple mans prospecting. I've learned thats a complete crock! After running the Minelab's GP's for nuggets for so long I figured this coinshooting would be a walk in the park. I picked up an X 2 and a Whites XL Pro(hoping the wife would tag along...) So far I like the XL Pro better. I've put about 60 hours on the X 2 and I understand all the controls but it still mystifies me at times as I haven't seen any gained depth on my XL Pro(although it ID's better). My first 4 hours hunting planting strips in Portland and I pulled an 1908 IH and a 1917 merc and thought, "this is a piece of cake". About 1 1/2 months and 65 hours of hunting later(although not all in portland) I have 1 merc, 2 silver rosies... ???

I'm doing GIS work for the county surveyors office this summer so I have access to 1000's of old maps and have gotten quite a few leads. I found an old school house that was abandoned in the 1930's that I had seen on an old plat map yesterday, stopped and got permission from the land owners, and didn't pull out a thing... Don't get me wrong, beautiful day, great weather, but I was a bit surprised. I also hit a 1900 house that has been forclosed on, lots of clad, and old canadien, but if I buried that coin deeper than 3" that X 2 had trouble.

I'm keep second guessing that my X 2 is running right. But maybe I'm just paranoid because when first got into nuggetshooting I had a Minelab GP Extreme, I ran it for about 1.5 months and swore it wasn't running right. Everyone I called said "you need to learn the machine". Turns out, it was broken(purchased used), minelab got it back to me and it ran great :D

It would be nice to have a partner to hunt with out here, but I'm having trouble on that end too. And I'm lucky to get the wife to come out 1 in 20 times. When I got into nuggetshooting I had had plenty of friends who were bugging me to try it out and knew the machines. So I never had a shortage of 2-3 close friends to hunt with.

Still and all, this has me hooked. I was only planning on doing this while we were here in Oregon to hold me over until I could nuggetshoot again...change of plans ;D Pulling out that 1908 IH was just as good as finding my first nugget! Sorry for venting but the wife is about ready to lay in bed with the pillow over her ears... Good Luck Hunting!

PS If anyones in the Portland, OR area and wants to hunt sometime, let me know.

Upvote 0

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont live in Portland but the next best thing .. Vancouver WA right next to Portland

USTiger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAVE -ENC him and his gal run X2's they are proficient with them give him a yell..me i run a X5 little different in the way the machines run and set up. i dug my oldest coin a 1875 ih at like4-5 inch's that was in the hole with a rusty nail so it was iffy to say the least.deepest coin Ive dug so far was a 8 inch(being conservative) or more 1908 barber under a softball sized rock so imagine 2 inch's of sod then a 12 inch diameter rock about 3-5 inch's thick then another 4 or 5 inch's of dirt to the target was a whisper but SWEET solid repeatable tone.........

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Thats really cool that your learning your machine! I am still learning mine too! But cant run a machine without learning it! Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread