Large coin and a couple buttons today, HELP!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Aug 2009
    Lebanon, pa
    Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)

Large coin and a couple buttons today, HELP!!!

Hey yall, was nice out today so shaun and i went to indian head alley. Thats were we found so many indian heads. I pulled out 2 buttons, one marked GILT with a crown on it and another with "THEIR COLOUR WILL STAND". Does anyone know about the buttons? Next thing i found was this large coin. It has a bust and is the size of a LC but its very worn. You can read what appears to be SAR but you can be the judge. Please HELP. I know someone will know what it is, lol I even wrapped it in foil to try and get more detail out. Thanks guys, HH Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop 1.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	499354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop 2.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	499355  

us
    Jan 2008
    NorthWest Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
    2313 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Large coin and a couple buttons today, HELP!!!

Can't help u ID but congrats on the great finds

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett AT Gold
    262 times
    Relic Hunting

You found a William III copper. That is a great find.

Kirk
    Keep the passion high!

us
    Sep 2010
    myerstown, PA
    BH tracker 4, quick draw, whites coin pro, fisher F70,

It was a good day! Tried to post mine via my phone since my computers down but don't think it worked. Good finds bro! Shaun

umrgolf

That button backmark is amazing gratz on the William III Halfpenny or farthing ( late 1600s-1700 i think) might be time to rename your site

us
    Dec 2010
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    4 times

Great finds! I'm a noob and have barely had a chance to try the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV my wife bought me for Christmas. Spring can't come soon enough after this hard Connecticut winter.

Hey firefighter35 and dirtdigginpa, I have a sister that lives right down the road in Robesonia. I'd love to get some pointers if/when I get down that way in the spring. Ever since I got this thing I've been thinking that your area of PA would probably be great to search!

Kayaker - New Fairfield, CT

us
    Jan 2009
    6 times

The spelling (colour) on the buttons is british english (versus color), suspect them to be english.

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    930 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Nice dig's.....That IS a cool backmark,patriotic in my mind.Congrat's on the William

us
    Jan 2009
    6 times

The words on the buttons indicate-military(british) or even colonial militia,especially if found near the william III coin

us
    Aug 2009
    Lebanon, pa
    Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)

Thanks guys. The button was found about 10 feet from coin. That would be my second William the III coin i found in a year. One in schaefferstown and now this site. Wonder if they used it to play poker with? lol Thanks alot guys. TNET is the best for iding.

us
    Aug 2009
    Lebanon, pa

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk PA

Kirk
    Im not so sure that it is copper. It did not ring up on the explorer ii as copper. It rang up like bronze. It is actually heavier than the other william III i had found. Is it possible it would be a counterfeit?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk PA

Kirk
    Im not so sure that it is copper. It did not ring up on the explorer ii as copper. It rang up like bronze. It is actually heavier than the other william III i had found. Is it possible it would be a counterfeit?

It's possible but the tone it gave on your detector won't prove it, and you should compare the weight and diameter to the genuine issues... and even if close still doesn't say for sure. In other words you need some very serious testing to feel confident in calling it one way or the other. Also if it's cast not struck than it's counterfeit.

If most things add up to being counterfeit than it probably is.

The button is most likely early 1800s and the mark just a quality mark. "Best gilt" "True quality" etc. etc. etc.. Their Colour will stand = Their gilt is high quality and won't wear easily. That said, I don't recall ever seeing that one.

Congratulations to the Winner!

Jan 2010
    New Castle NH.
    Brain eyes ears and nose
    646 times
    Working to end Western Dominator Society, Scourge of the Modern World
    Banner Finds (6)

Nice Old Copper & Coolest backmark I've seen
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

us
    Aug 2009
    Lebanon, pa

The back mark is the first i have ever seen too. I tried finding info on it but nothin. Wonder if its a banner button, lol The front is just the normal slightly rounded but the back is awesome. The coin is cool but the button i feel is better than the coin, lol More mystery behind it!!!

us
    Dec 2010
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    4 times

Ooh... I rephrased the wording and just found THIS... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=111679.0

... but I think the way you read it makes more sense. Still, seems very rare, nothing else from Google, Bing or Yahoo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links