Wow! Found my 4th New Jersey Copper this month plus 2 other colonials

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Thursday I did not think I would ever find 3 New Jersey coppers in a row, in the same month, or even finding 3 in a year would be great, but I did find my 3rd one on the 17th. So today I went back to the same new site and again the unbelievable happened! I got my 4th New Jersey Copper in February and I doubt if I can ever repeat this again.
Site254again.jpg
It was not my 4th copper find in a row though, I first got an iffy signal that I thought was going to be a large button, but when at a site like this you dig all repeatable signals, good or not. To my delight a copper disc appeared in the pile of dirt. Copper #1 as I called it ended up being a typical counterfeit King George III Halfpenny, it only weighs 87.3 grains, very light, even for a counterfeit.
Retrieving Coin 1 KGIII.jpg
The next target was again, slightly iffy, but then it got better when I came at it on a different angle, took a photo of the Explorer readout (crosshair location). Now all my other New Jersey Coppers I have found this year, screamed coin before digging, this one again, sounded more like a iffy coin and maybe a button so again, I was pleasantly surprised to see the round hunk of copper, it was much bigger than the first coin and very thin, now I was not sure it was a coin, but after wetting it I easily saw the horse and plow and knew I now had found my fourth NJ of the month!
NJ Copper Retrieved.jpg
Less than 3 feet away I got a low reading of either a button or shotgun casing, out of the pile of dirt I found another pair of cufflinks, plain design, but heck my 13th pair of cufflinks and most have been found in the last three years for some reason.
colonialcufflinks.jpg
cufflinkscleaned.jpg
I called my wife after that and she warned me, you better leave some for (our son), so she recommended I leave for the day, well, I sort of left, I told her OK, time to explore some and started heading down an old overgrown dirt path from this site and about 50-75 yards from the homesite I got a decent sweet sound of another coin! After a quick dig another copper appears, this one was holed in the center, so I immediately thought of a counterfeit cancellation that some did to counterfeits, but I had no idea what this coin was going to be. I had hopes of it being a James Irish Halpenny, but it was too thick, and it was encrusted in a cement like sand/gravel mixture.
oldroadfindCoin3.jpg
coin3holed.jpg
But upon cleaning, it became obvious there were no details at all left on one side, but the bust figure started to become clearer with the cleaning and eventually I concluded it was a counterfeit KGII Half Penny, Younghead, 1729-39 era.
Here is a group photo of all the finds, including a memorial found on the road walking back to the truck. :D
Site254finds 21Feb11.jpg
And of the finds worthy of cleaning
Site254finds 21 Feb 11 cleaned.jpg
Two hunts at this site and still no buttons? Other than the cufflinks. Usually the coin to button ratio is more buttons to coins, but this one is now 4 to 0 unless you want to count the cufflinks….
The soil is not as kind to the coppers as I would like, but at least identifying the old pieces of our history is good enough for me.
Before and After of the NJ copper
1787BeforeAfter.jpg
Group photo of all 4 NJ coppers found this month, interesting, all are different varieties.
Four NJ Coppers found in February.jpg

The son and I both will be hunting this site as soon as we can get together in the upcoming days. Not sure much more can be found here, but than again, it is a big area that might be hiding another undiscovered homestead.

Don

Upvote 0

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW wtg Jersey copper.good pictures.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is Amazing, 2011 is starting off excellent for you, can't see what you and your son find next.

Bill

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnet, Magnet, Magnet, Magnet...

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
You are the man! I wish /dream to find a spot like that!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You're on quite a hot streak Don

You got those coppas popping out left and right. Keep 'em coming!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are off to an excellent start to 2011. I hope you or your son pulls another copper or two from this site on your next hunt ! MaineRelic

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Your'e on a killer roll, Don.
Great stuff, as always.
I'd say after 6 coppers in a row, your'e about due for some early silver.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, is this going to go on for another 38 days, at which point you are going to spring some twisted "April Fools" on us?

Honestly, this is amazing. You are on some sweet ride. As the old saying goes, "Make hay while the sun shines!"

Congratulations!
Neil

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, you are on a New Jersey copper digging streak of epic proportions! :notworthy: :notworthy:
Four already in the month of February and you still have a week left in the month. You have matched in one month as many NJ's as I have dug in the 17 years since I dug my first. You also seem to be on a bit of a cufflink roll as well.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hey Don nice going on the 4th Jersey, I told you a fourth one was coming. I do think I smell a fifth one on its way and February isn't over yet. Congrats on a great month. All the other finds are nice too. :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice I love those colonial coppers.

Never had much luck in the woods.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Nice I love those colonial coppers.

ReidMan said:
Never had much luck in the woods.

Almost all of my detecting is done in the woods. I don't have the patience for digging all of those trash signals found in most parks. In the woods, it is silent with the smooth hum of the threshold until you find something old. Sometimes it is iron, but when it isn't it is usually something awesome.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions