Wow! Found my 4th New Jersey Copper this month plus 2 other colonials

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Thursday I did not think I would ever find 3 New Jersey coppers in a row, in the same month, or even finding 3 in a year would be great, but I did find my 3rd one on the 17th. So today I went back to the same new site and again the unbelievable happened! I got my 4th New Jersey Copper in February and I doubt if I can ever repeat this again.
Site254again.jpg
It was not my 4th copper find in a row though, I first got an iffy signal that I thought was going to be a large button, but when at a site like this you dig all repeatable signals, good or not. To my delight a copper disc appeared in the pile of dirt. Copper #1 as I called it ended up being a typical counterfeit King George III Halfpenny, it only weighs 87.3 grains, very light, even for a counterfeit.
Retrieving Coin 1 KGIII.jpg
The next target was again, slightly iffy, but then it got better when I came at it on a different angle, took a photo of the Explorer readout (crosshair location). Now all my other New Jersey Coppers I have found this year, screamed coin before digging, this one again, sounded more like a iffy coin and maybe a button so again, I was pleasantly surprised to see the round hunk of copper, it was much bigger than the first coin and very thin, now I was not sure it was a coin, but after wetting it I easily saw the horse and plow and knew I now had found my fourth NJ of the month!
NJ Copper Retrieved.jpg
Less than 3 feet away I got a low reading of either a button or shotgun casing, out of the pile of dirt I found another pair of cufflinks, plain design, but heck my 13th pair of cufflinks and most have been found in the last three years for some reason.
colonialcufflinks.jpg
cufflinkscleaned.jpg
I called my wife after that and she warned me, you better leave some for (our son), so she recommended I leave for the day, well, I sort of left, I told her OK, time to explore some and started heading down an old overgrown dirt path from this site and about 50-75 yards from the homesite I got a decent sweet sound of another coin! After a quick dig another copper appears, this one was holed in the center, so I immediately thought of a counterfeit cancellation that some did to counterfeits, but I had no idea what this coin was going to be. I had hopes of it being a James Irish Halpenny, but it was too thick, and it was encrusted in a cement like sand/gravel mixture.
oldroadfindCoin3.jpg
coin3holed.jpg
But upon cleaning, it became obvious there were no details at all left on one side, but the bust figure started to become clearer with the cleaning and eventually I concluded it was a counterfeit KGII Half Penny, Younghead, 1729-39 era.
Here is a group photo of all the finds, including a memorial found on the road walking back to the truck. :D
Site254finds 21Feb11.jpg
And of the finds worthy of cleaning
Site254finds 21 Feb 11 cleaned.jpg
Two hunts at this site and still no buttons? Other than the cufflinks. Usually the coin to button ratio is more buttons to coins, but this one is now 4 to 0 unless you want to count the cufflinks….
The soil is not as kind to the coppers as I would like, but at least identifying the old pieces of our history is good enough for me.
Before and After of the NJ copper
1787BeforeAfter.jpg
Group photo of all 4 NJ coppers found this month, interesting, all are different varieties.
Four NJ Coppers found in February.jpg

The son and I both will be hunting this site as soon as we can get together in the upcoming days. Not sure much more can be found here, but than again, it is a big area that might be hiding another undiscovered homestead.

Don

Upvote 0

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow, Don, I love opening your posts and seeing what you found there! I'm an absolute noob (my wife bought me a detector this Christmas) and have few questions, if you don't mind.

How do you pick what sites to search? I know that's such a broad question but what in particular drew you to this spot in the woods?
I'm in Connecticut and I would ASSUME there are some similar sites up here (and I have heard of "Connecticut coppers", so maybe I'd have a shot at finding something similar if/when figure out where is most likely). There are stone walls everywhere but I've never noticed a cellar hole or anything that called out, "look here!". I do a lot of hiking and I've never seen another person detecting in except at the beaches, so I'm hoping my area isn't too picked over.

Also, was it common to counterfeit half pennies?!? I'm sure a penny was worth a lot more than now, but it still seems like a half penny would hardly be worth the effort and risk (was it a capital punishment for counterfeiting back then?).

Thanks for the great posts and pics! Happy Hunting!

Kayaker - New Fairfield, CT

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the colonial coppers and a nice post! Still froze here. HH, Mike

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW Don, I don't know whether to feel inspired or like quitting.

You are the man!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: incredible you must be right on top of a 18th century general store or something similar those coins are in great shape good digs :thumbsup: Jim

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are awesome don.

Great sites and great hunting.

HH Jer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Don...four in a month and that month is not over yet...amazing.

I'm going to see Ray Williams tonight I'll have to mention it if you have not told him yet.

Good luck on the next hunt...I'm hoping for number 5 for you.

I can't wait for my number 1 for my career...lol.

NJ

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ WOW. All I have to say about those finds. Man you are the copper king! :thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure you are not minting them??!!! :laughing9: :tongue3: :icon_thumright: :notworthy:

That site is some sort of outstanding. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things you can't explain.

And some times you have to keep digging! :headbang:

Think you can combine posts for 5 & 6? This is a lot of typing.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Some things you can't explain.

And some times you have to keep digging! :headbang:

Think you can combine posts for 5 & 6? This is a lot of typing.

I think I better stop at 4, looks like my son will be going with me next hunt, and I would rather he find the next one, I will settle for any early copper or silver for my next find, or be very happy if he finds an old copper or two, doesn't really matter right now if I find any additional for awhile. :wink:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think 2011 is going to be your best year of relic hunting. This is totally uncalled for. :headbang: I bet you will get 8 New Jersey coppers this year and a ton of early relics. 2003, move over, because 2011 is going to kick your Colonial butt! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Kirk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those 1787's are just like buttons over here :laughing9: :wink:

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Don, your posts are always a must read for me, you always seem to find something on your hunts. What impresses me the most is your keen eye on picking those old home sites from nothing more than a few small details in the landscape. Based on your finds up to now, i'd say that your on your way to having a fantastic year. Is their anything in particular that your hoping to find this year?

James.
HomesteadHunter

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on your 4th NJ Copper of the month and other nice finds (Wow! :o ) , :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HomesteadHunter said:
Don, your posts are always a must read for me, you always seem to find something on your hunts. What impresses me the most is your keen eye on picking those old home sites from nothing more than a few small details in the landscape. Based on your finds up to now, i'd say that your on your way to having a fantastic year. Is their anything in particular that your hoping to find this year?

James.
HomesteadHunter

My original goal for 2011 was to reach 200 pre 1800 coins for my career, well, I thought I was 5 shy according to my Excel Spread sheet I have kept for years, until I counted my actual coins last week and found out I already am at 206, so that goal was already reached in 2010. Now I need a new goal, ah, how about finding 4 NJ coppers in one month's time. :tongue3: Hmmmmmmmn, OK, I really don't have a goal now except to have a decent year, and find more relics this year than last year. As far as coins, too many to say, early US silver is always high on my list, but just pot luck to find any. It has been quite a few years since I have found a Vermont Copper, but I would be happy finding some Liberty Cap Cents and Half Cents in good condition.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread