Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello T-Net'ers,

I just returned from Texas late last night after spending the past week visiting friends in Dallas. While there, I managed to get 5 hours of digging in on an 1850s US Military camp with my good friend Bob and another friend of his, Charles. I managed to find 10 minie balls, 4 round balls, 5 eagle buttons, 4 four hole buttons, a piece of shoulder scale, and a broken padlock key cover. My best find was a eagle "R" riflemans cuff button. Bob dug some round balls and a couple buttons, most of a Jeff Davis hat badge, plus his best finds; a multi ring Sharps tie ring bullet - which he gave to me since I had been trying to dig one for years :laughing7: He also dug a real neat pipe tamper, but he hit it with his shovel and about bent it in half ???. Charles best find was a perfect US Rosette.

Pic 1 - Total finds for all 3 of us minus Bob's hat badge. My stuff at the top.
Pic 2 - My finds, group shot
Pic 3 - My eagle buttons
Pic 4 - My Rifleman's button
Pic 5 - Multi ring Sharps dug by Bob
Pic 6, 7, 8 - Pipe Tamper dug by Bob
Pic 9, 10, 11 - Some dirt shots I took

Attachments

• Total Finds.jpg
    Total Finds.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 890
  • Button in dirt.jpg
    Button in dirt.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 833
  • Bullet in dirt2.jpg
    Bullet in dirt2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 861
  • Bullet in dirt.jpg
    Bullet in dirt.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 839
  • Tamper back.jpg
    Tamper back.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 849
  • Tamper Front.jpg
    Tamper Front.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 826
  • Tamper Side.jpg
    Tamper Side.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 842
  • Multi Ring.jpg
    Multi Ring.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 849
  • Rifleman.jpg
    Rifleman.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 857
  • Eagle Buttons.jpg
    Eagle Buttons.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 909
  • Steve All.jpg
    Steve All.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 895
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some really nice historic relics dug on that hunt Steve. An "R" CS and US Eagle is on my wish list. The Rosette found by Charlie was a super find. WTG gentlemen and looks like Steve was the "Bullet King". HH, Quindy.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that pipe tamper Steve, cool find :thumbsup:. Eagles are always nice.

Hill

U

umrgolf

Those are some GREAT relics Steve :o wish there were more appreciation for this stuff here ???

cornspike

Jan 23, 2008
Old West
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-70, 5in dd coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I'd love to find an R Button, Great job!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Those are some GREAT relics Steve :o wish there were more appreciation for this stuff here ???

I hear ya Jeff. This ain't clad from the playground....these are historical artifacts recovered from amongst Prickly Pear Cactus and rattlesnakes ;D

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is the way to do it Texas style, Steve. :headbang: You found loads of history and that is what counts. I am glad to see that your trip was a success. I think people are still thinking, "Who is this guy?" :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Go tomato juice! :hello2: :laughing7:

Kirk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pipe tamper looks like it doubled as a wax seal :icon_thumright:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic digs!!!I really like the Rifleman button,and the tamper!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
the pipe tamper looks like it doubled as a wax seal :icon_thumright:

That would be a great combination tool! Why didn't someone think of that sooner.....like 250 years ago :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Steve

Those are some mighty nice finds, and I know you worked hard to get them. Too bad that tamper was bent as that's a really cool find. See ya in 3 weeks.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, are the bullets regular minies or something scarce? The rings look a bit different, but can't see the bases. HH

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MKnTenn said:
Nice finds, are the bullets regular minies or something scarce? The rings look a bit different, but can't see the bases. HH

Good eye. This was also noticed by a poster on another forum who thought they looked "a little odd".

They are .54 caliber, about and inch long, but the weird thing is the truncated base cavity. You just don't see this on .54 caliber 3 ringers in Virginia. Here are two close ups. One a straight on side view, and the other looking into the base cavity.

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 642
  • Base View.jpg
    Base View.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 610

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds Steve. Congrats on your Eagle "R" Cuff...if you recall I dug the Big Brother to it a couple months back in South Carolina. Also really like that MultiRing Sharps. Those are terrific bullets and a solid outing my friend. I'll see you at DIV in 3 weeks! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

P.S. I was just looking at this post again and I must say that is indeed different. I've found MANY .54 caliber Minies here in Virginia and never with a truncated base....almost looks like a Gardner from the bottom. Those are pretty dang cool bullets u found there Steve :wink: :wink: :icon_thumleft:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
these are historical artifacts recovered from amongst Prickly Pear Cactus and rattlesnakes

Sounds like my kind of place! ;D

My very first relic hunts as a teenager, began in areas infested with rattlesnakes, water moccasins, coral snakes, and loads of prickly pear cactus (along with spanish bayonet, greenbriar, and a host of other scratchy stuff). I can't even begin to recall how many times those dang cactus heads would break off hanging on my boot heels.........only to bite me in the a$$ every time I crouched down to dig. Of course I nearly always though it was a snake doing the strike on me, and would jump up hollering; "I'm bit!"........ :laughing7:

Cool digs Steve!

Those Sharps multi-rings are very sweet and one of my favorites. The rosette is a beauty, and the tamper is very nice, even if the poor fellow has a case of the "bends". :)

Is that an overcoat eagle in the top center? Looks to me like no letter in the shield? Never recall seeing such on oddity.

CC Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread