Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 125
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 24 Civil War Buttons

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #61
    us
    ayuh !

    Oct 2008
    fla la land
    minelab excalibur
    167

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    awesome finds ! wtg !...hh
    beach bum ! golf bum ! one way or another i'll be a swingin !

  2. #62
    us
    Mar 2009
    United States
    Minelab E-trac
    1,428
    553 times

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Hey Herbie,

    Congrats on these awesome finds! Can't wait to see what you pull up next!

  3. #63
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Place In Heaven
    Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
    1,831
    186 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Must Be A Banner

  4. #64
    us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    2,581
    1865 times

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Herbie you continue to amaze me with the stuff you're finding in my old home town. You have my vote for the banner as well.
    Live Free or Die

  5. #65
    us
    May 2010
    South Jersey
    Whites DFX, MXT
    963
    340 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    4' X 2' and about 36" deep... That adds up to a big button hole... The buttons are sweet... Arty
    Its a small world until you have to walk somewhere.

  6. #66
    us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

    Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    5,078
    262 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Looks like the uniform should have 27 (three rows of nine). Go back and find that belt plate!

  7. #67
    us
    RickIowa2009

    Mar 2009
    Cedar Rapids Iowa
    GTP1350 Garrett, Xterra 705 gold pack and ace250!
    737

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    WTG

  8. #68
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,393
    327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil in West Jersey
    Looks like the uniform should have 27 (three rows of nine). Go back and find that belt plate!
    Now I see that one under his belt, AND 3 on each cuff
    I'll have to redig that hole for the 4th time if there's still 10 missing,
    (plus the Belt Plate & Cap Pin)
    I just saw NHBobs post of a beautiful NH Cap pin dug last year,
    NICE FIND
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

  9. #69
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,393
    327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Quote Originally Posted by artyfacts
    4' X 2' and about 36" deep... That adds up to a big button hole... The buttons are sweet... Arty
    HaHaa ! It sure was !
    After 3 excavations the hole resembled a grave.
    Like I described, a pit full of mucky water, scan bottom and sides, then gently remove some slop and hope you got another one,
    The owner of a nearby business came out and
    chatted then invited me in for coffee, I was happy to have the chance to talk about the hobby and the history we're trying to save.
    Helps to dispel some of the false perceptions
    a lot of people have about MDers
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

  10. #70

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Great job finding and cleaning!

  11. #71
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's your last day!

    Apr 2010
    Ontario Canada
    Garrett At Pro, Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    4,777
    1086 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    This sure looks like a BANNER picture to me buddy!

    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My passion is for hunting relic sites, as I feel the imprint of past lives often lingers there!
    Detectorists finds, are the background noise of antiquity!
    Don't question it ... just dig it!

  12. #72
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,393
    327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiquarian
    This sure looks like a BANNER picture to me buddy!

    Dave
    My thanks go out to all who replied
    All of your feedback is appreciated
    Special Shout to Timekiller, whose tips allowed me to get buttons cleaned up in a timely manner.
    With his idea of expansion/contraction in mind, I placed the buttons in boiling water,
    then removed them and immediately dropped them into ice water and let them dry.
    The encrustation then literally fell off at a touch
    no more spending 3 hours on one button.
    I can't see how this would cause additional damage to metallic objects with a heavy crusting like these had, I don't believe any gilding remains attached to salt crusted buttons.
    I would recommending trying this method on copper alloy buttons and coins THAT HAVE HEAVY CRUSTING, (if you think theres gilt left, it will come off with the crust) I am going to try it out on a sand crusted silver coin I have later.
    I believe this method would destroy old pewter/white metal.
    The biggest plus is no risk of pitting or detail loss that can occur with acid cleaning, ALL the base metal that is under the crust will remain.
    I will make a 'Cleaning & Preservation' post on this method after I experiment with that silver.
    Good Day An Best Digs To All
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nc finds 03-09 024.jpg 
Views:	2866 
Size:	409.2 KB 
ID:	507387  
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

  13. #73

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiquarian
    This sure looks like a BANNER picture to me buddy!

    Dave
    My thanks go out to all who replied
    All of your feedback is appreciated
    Special Shout to Timekiller, whose tips allowed me to get buttons cleaned up in a timely manner.
    With his idea of expansion/contraction in mind, I placed the buttons in boiling water,
    then removed them and immediately dropped them into ice water and let them dry.
    The encrustation then literally fell off at a touch
    no more spending 3 hours on one button.
    I can't see how this would cause additional damage to metallic objects with a heavy crusting like these had, I don't believe any gilding remains attached to salt crusted buttons.
    I would recommending trying this method on copper alloy buttons and coins THAT HAVE HEAVY CRUSTING, (if you think theres gilt left, it will come off with the crust) I am going to try it out on a sand crusted silver coin I have later.
    I believe this method would destroy old pewter/white metal.
    The biggest plus is no risk of pitting or detail loss that can occur with acid cleaning, ALL the base metal that is under the crust will remain.
    I will make a 'Cleaning & Preservation' post on this method after I experiment with that silver.
    Good Day An Best Digs To All

    That was a very good idea. I thought it was more of a black grime than a hard crust, but now that it's so easy you have to go find more! The depth you are digging them and the crust is what is keeping them nice.

    Finding the plate would be something else.

  14. #74
    us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    6,393
    327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiquarian
    This sure looks like a BANNER picture to me buddy!

    Dave
    My thanks go out to all who replied
    All of your feedback is appreciated
    Special Shout to Timekiller, whose tips allowed me to get buttons cleaned up in a timely manner.
    With his idea of expansion/contraction in mind, I placed the buttons in boiling water,
    then removed them and immediately dropped them into ice water and let them dry.
    The encrustation then literally fell off at a touch
    no more spending 3 hours on one button.
    I can't see how this would cause additional damage to metallic objects with a heavy crusting like these had, I don't believe any gilding remains attached to salt crusted buttons.
    I would recommending trying this method on copper alloy buttons and coins THAT HAVE HEAVY CRUSTING, (if you think theres gilt left, it will come off with the crust) I am going to try it out on a sand crusted silver coin I have later.
    I believe this method would destroy old pewter/white metal.
    The biggest plus is no risk of pitting or detail loss that can occur with acid cleaning, ALL the base metal that is under the crust will remain.
    I will make a 'Cleaning & Preservation' post on this method after I experiment with that silver.
    Good Day An Best Digs To All

    That was a very good idea. I thought it was more of a black grime than a hard crust, but now that it's so easy you have to go find more! The depth you are digging them and the crust is what is keeping them nice.

    Finding the plate would be something else.
    Thanks IP !
    Am returning to the site today, Plan on removing top layers around the filled hole to see what else lurks in the depths
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

  15. #75
    us
    Jun 2007
    Whites XLT
    1,747
    29 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: 23 Civil War Buttons Update: 16 Cleaned

    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiquarian
    This sure looks like a BANNER picture to me buddy!

    Dave
    My thanks go out to all who replied
    All of your feedback is appreciated
    Special Shout to Timekiller, whose tips allowed me to get buttons cleaned up in a timely manner.
    With his idea of expansion/contraction in mind, I placed the buttons in boiling water,
    then removed them and immediately dropped them into ice water and let them dry.
    The encrustation then literally fell off at a touch
    no more spending 3 hours on one button.
    I can't see how this would cause additional damage to metallic objects with a heavy crusting like these had, I don't believe any gilding remains attached to salt crusted buttons.
    I would recommending trying this method on copper alloy buttons and coins THAT HAVE HEAVY CRUSTING, (if you think theres gilt left, it will come off with the crust) I am going to try it out on a sand crusted silver coin I have later.
    I believe this method would destroy old pewter/white metal.
    The biggest plus is no risk of pitting or detail loss that can occur with acid cleaning, ALL the base metal that is under the crust will remain.
    I will make a 'Cleaning & Preservation' post on this method after I experiment with that silver.
    Good Day An Best Digs To All

    That was a very good idea. I thought it was more of a black grime than a hard crust, but now that it's so easy you have to go find more! The depth you are digging them and the crust is what is keeping them nice.

    Finding the plate would be something else.
    Thanks IP !
    Am returning to the site today, Plan on removing top layers around the filled hole to see what else lurks in the depths
    Bring your camera with and take pics, that's the only reason why this post isn't up on the banner in my opinion. Congrats to you on the 23 buttons the other day and good luck finding the plate today.

 

 
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

civil war buttons

,

gold civil war buttons

,
nc civil war button
,
nc civil war buttons
,
new hampshire silver civil war buttons
,

new hampshire volunteer militia button

,
types of civil war buttons
,
what are civil war buttons made of
,
what were buttons made out of during the civil war
,
what were civil war buttons made of
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3