I cant think of a title

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
I can't think of a title

So I was out hitting some estate sales this morning, and I found some goodies--a couple of vintage Springbok puzzles, a pair of Westmoreland salt and pepper shakers, some desperately needed hedge clippers, and a bottle of one of my favorite colognes for a song--and in the process of all of this I drove past this one spot... A big lot that has been vacant as long as I can remember. I've never seen any activity there, nor is there any sign that anything was ever even there. It isn't in a particularly old part of town, either. But today I noticed that there was fresh dirt showing. >PERK?< So after I hit all the sales on my list, I went back to the lot to check it out.

I parked and got my detector out of the trunk (never leave home without it, heh), and walked out to where the dirt was. I could tell right away I was going to be disappointed. The dirt had been hauled in and dumped there. Soon though I noticed that there was a good bit of old brick, pottery, and broken glass in the mix, so I kept swinging. Nothing. I spotted a second spot of dirt way over on the other side of this huge lot, so I went to check it out too. I couldn't tell what the deal was there. It sort of looked fresh, sort of looked dumped, maybe dug, who knows?? Anyway it was full of junk and garbage (as if those weren't the same thing) so I prepared to leave. As I was walking back to the car I noticed *way* over on the other side of the lot another spot of dirt, as opposed to the tall weeds that were everywhere else. As I got closer, I was dismayed to see that once again, it was fill dirt that had been brought in. I noticed however, that where they had been operating the machinery to bring in the dirt, they had disturbed a couple of spots--maybe a total of 10 square feet, if that--where they had uncovered the original dirt and squelched out the weeds. I swung my detector over the disturbed area and got a nice penny-sounding signal. When I saw what literally popped up out of the ground like toast, I absolutely could NOT believe it. All I could do was stand there and say "HOLY S___" over and over and over. I have found several of these over the years, but this is my first 'type-1', and I don't think any of the others I've found were in this good of shape.

I didn't find anything else at all. Just that beauty. eheheh

Attachments

• 070106.jpg
    070106.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 842
Upvote 0

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Re: I can't think of a title

HOLLY MOLLY.............BATMAN!!!!!! What a great looking quarter, one of those will be on my list.........great find. Keep on swinging.....gred573

RainDog

Jun 10, 2005
middle Ga
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Discovery 1100

Excellent Find!! If i'd found that you couldn't take off my grin with Ajax :) :o
WTG
HH
Raindog

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Thanks Mirage, Greg, and Raindog!  I appreciate the kind words.

I've got to quit fondling it or I'm gonna wear the date off!

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

very nice -- found a 1917 type 1 myself this year -- only I scratched it 5 times trying to get it out of the hole haha :) -- nice work -- always fun when you find the big silver!!

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

heheheh allsmith.....I'd laugh more if I wasn't telling the truth!

Thanks Gabbit! Considering how hard the ground is out there and how recklessly I was digging (expecting no goodies) I'm surprised I didn't chew this one up as well. If you look closely, you can see a nick at the 8'oclock edge that I put in it. Fortunately that was all I did to it!

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

mlw67 said:
heheheh allsmith.....I'd laugh more if I wasn't telling the truth!

Thanks Gabbit! Considering how hard the ground is out there and how recklessly I was digging (expecting no goodies) I'm surprised I didn't chew this one up as well. If you look closely, you can see a nick at the 8'oclock edge that I put in it. Fortunately that was all I did to it!

that's more of a tick ;) -- glad to see they have big silver out there -- considering moving up to the Seattle area, so I am a bit worried about finding new and productive hunting spots -- guess I better learn how to hunt the wet stuff

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Seattle, eh? I lived right by there the last four years, but I didn't do much hunting in Seattle proper. Now if you ever get over to Vashon Island (in nearby Puget Sound) I can tell you some good spots to hunt.....

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

mlw67 said:
Seattle, eh? I lived right by there the last four years, but I didn't do much hunting in Seattle proper. Now if you ever get over to Vashon Island (in nearby Puget Sound) I can tell you some good spots to hunt.....

will have to pick your brain as soon as I know if the move is going to occur -- 8) -- are most of your coins S & D mint marks in that area?

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Yep, Ss and Ds. heheh As you go farther back in the years, the coins are more and more predominately S mints.

Which is weird, because lately all I've been finding are Ps and Ds. heheh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread