Arkansas CW Relic Hunt With Dman & Okie Relic Friends Near Jenkins Ferry
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Arkansas CW Relic Hunt With Dman & Okie Relic Friends Near Jenkins Ferry

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    2869 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Arkansas CW Relic Hunt With Dman & Okie Relic Friends Near Jenkin's Ferry

One great advantage to writing articles for the treasure/relic hunting magazines and participating in related activities is the good friends that you make along the way. Three friends from Oklahoma (John, J.J., and Terry) invited Dman and myself to meet them in Arkansas and hunt near the Jenkins Ferry Battlefield. That battle occurred in April 1864 and was the last major Civil War engagement in Arkansas. Every recovered nice relics and we enjoyed excellent weather.
    The first pic is my finds from the hunt. Dman will post his finds later and he has some interesting finds and firsts also. I fully expected to find a variety of bullets but the first 6 that I dug were all different. My favorite is the Enfield with a ring carved around it by a CW Soldier. The flattened .58 3 ringer was likely used as a poker chip. I had never dug a Starr carbine bullet and few Tie Ring Sharps bullets. The little brass brads are from knapsacks and there is a knapsack hook and a square attachment for a 1851 sword belt rig. Lots of harness and a bridle ring. I also dug an unreadable IH and 1913 wheatie.
    John unseated Dman for Best Find of the hunt award on Saturday afternoon with the sword guard (looks like it came from a 1840 wristbreaker) as John shows it to J.J. in the second pic He also won the bullet master award with a total of 50 (he doubled up with more than one in a hole a few times). Just before we left after hunting a couple of hours on Sunday morning, he dug a fuse plug that appears to have come from a Hotchkiss shell. He has many years of experience hunting CW relics and is pretty good with a detector too-LOL.
    The third pic is of the hunting party (Terry, J.J., John, and Dman). John’s son J.J. (a.k.a. “Honey Bun”) is shown coming out of the pine woods in the next picture. He was the self appointed hunt coordinator. We could have used some lawn chairs J.J.-LOL.
    I came home with enough relics for a small wooden display case and actually recovered more than I expected that I would. We definitely plan to go back there. Good friends, good weather, and excellent relic hunting in a very historic CW site-what’s not to like? HH, Quindy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jenkin\'s Ferry Arkansas 2011.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	510717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John & J.J. with sword guard.jpg 
Views:	909 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	510718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ark. Hunting party 2011.jpg 
Views:	945 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	510719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J.J. Hunts the pines.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	510720  
    DFX DAVE in M.D. likes this.
    View more Tenn. Trio hunts by going to "You Tube" & typing in "Quindy Robertson".

umrgolf

Re: Arkansas CW Relic Hunt With Dman & Okie Relic Friends Near Jenkin's Ferry

Great finds Quindy There is definitely a lot of neat lead that far West!

Well ya'll sure cleaned up in Arkansas! 8) Looks like a great time diggin'. Burt must have had driving duty since you've got enough energy to make a post after that trip.

Way to go, ya'll!!

Nana

DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    271 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (12)

Nice finds, nice photos, and nice new friends=Trifecta Nice haul of bullets and those brass finds have a very pretty green patina to them too. How long of a drive was it down there from Middle Tennessee?

us
    Mar 2009
    2 times

Great finds !!!!! You know there's a plate waiting for ya' to find there !!!!

us
    Treasurenet Lurker

Sep 2008
    Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
    Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
    1098 times
    Metal Detecting

Great finds!! Whats the guy doing with his hand? The guy with the mustache all the way on the right?

Dec 2007
    Bedford Pa
    E-Trac, GPX 5000
    7 times

That was a Great Day ! Looks like you all had a Blast !
    HH
    BB
    www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    424 times
    Relic Hunting

Definitely Looks like a Great Day of digging and Friendship .

Bill

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    906 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

What!!!....... No brewsky's at the tailgate party? That's a great day of diggin' there Quindy.The sword guard is awesome!!

Congratulations to the Winner!

Jan 2010
    New Castle NH.
    Brain eyes ears and nose
    646 times
    Working to end Western Dominator Society, Scourge of the Modern World
    Banner Finds (6)

Looks like a great day for all !
    Congrats on your finds
    I'm guessing the man on the right is showing off his dug ring
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

that is what it is all about!!! nice day there!
    Debby

Jul 2007
    Maryland
    27 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great hunt Q!!
    plenty of fine relics.
    Ty

[size=14pt]BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHY AND ART PHOTOS:[/size]
    [size=14pt]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ty-McMurray-Photography/190061817702845?ref=hl[/size]

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2006
    SE, Virginia
    MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
    5 times

Lucky Ducky...what an awesome invite to hunt so close to where the action took place. Its great that you guys shared your story with us, the pics are awesome and your finds are a detectors dream of a great day relic hunting.
    When you feel down because you didn’t
    get what you want, just sit tight and
    be happy, because God is thinking of
    something better to give you.

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    2869 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by umrgolf
    Great finds Quindy There is definitely a lot of neat lead that far West!
    Thanks Jeff. I was pleased with the variety there. I was hoping for a musketoon or Mississippi Rifle but maybe next time. HH, Quindy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana40
    Well ya'll sure cleaned up in Arkansas! 8) Looks like a great time diggin'. Burt must have had driving duty since you've got enough energy to make a post after that trip.

Way to go, ya'll!!

Nana
    We split the driving Nana. Dman (Burt) snoozed during his time as a passenger-LOL. Hh, Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by {Sentinel}
    Nice finds, nice photos, and nice new friends=Trifecta Nice haul of bullets and those brass finds have a very pretty green patina to them too. How long of a drive was it down there from Middle Tennessee?
    Thanks Josh. It was about 7 hours driving time but just to get to see our friends again and hunt with them was great even if we didn't find relics. HH, Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by KyFreeBird
    Great finds !!!!! You know there's a plate waiting for ya' to find there !!!!
    Check Dman's post later. There was Ky and thanks, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fmrUSMC_0844
    Great finds!! Whats the guy doing with his hand? The guy with the mustache all the way on the right?
    Marine, that's Dman and he's clowning around as usual. HH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bedfordbob
    That was a Great Day ! Looks like you all had a Blast !
    HH
    BB
    We did Bob. We hunted Friday, Saturday, and a couple of hours Sunday. Well worth the trip. Thanks for looking, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nova treasure
    Definitely Looks like a Great Day of digging and Friendship .

Bill
    It sure was Bill and looks like you and HB tore it up there in the Blugrass state. HH, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by civilman1
    What!!!....... No brewsky's at the tailgate party? That's a great day of diggin' there Quindy.The sword guard is awesome!!
    Hey Joe, there WERE brewskys in the cooler. That was lunch. The brewskys came later-LOL. thanks Bud, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtde3
    Looks to me like you all had a great trip!
    Good looking display Q!
    Thanks for showing us some pictures.
    Good hunt!
    You are welcome Rob. No banner finds for me but a few bullets that would be hard to dig here. HH, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Congrats on your finds
    Herbie, he's just showing off as usual-LOL. Thanks, Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntrydncr1
    that is what it is all about!!! nice day there!
    It was two days and 2 hours of great days Country. Thanks for looking and your reply, Quindy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tymcmurray
    Great hunt Q!!
    plenty of fine relics.
    I just got 2 button backs Ty. John dug a cuff eagle"I" and Dman recovered a button. I was happy anyway. Thamks and HH, Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlene
    Lucky Ducky...what an awesome invite to hunt so close to where the action took place. Its great that you guys shared your story with us, the pics are awesome and your finds are a detectors dream of a great day relic hunting.
    It was a fun hunt Charlene. Been back to hunt near DC? HH, Q.
    View more Tenn. Trio hunts by going to "You Tube" & typing in "Quindy Robertson".

us
    Jan 2008
    Missouri
    WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill
    Congrats on your finds
    Or he's just not feeling that photogenic...lol

~Tom
    ALL GAVE SOME...some gave ALL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links